Total Wine & More Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 15, 2017

2.7

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Florida, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (South Florida, FL).

Interview

I received a call from a recruiter. After a Positive conversation for about 30-40 minutes I was asked to take an online assessment. A few days later I received another call from same recruiter about my next step. My next interview was supposed to be with a DM, but the interview was moved twice and ended up being a phone interview instead. All went well, but then I was called by a Regional HR, an interview that was about 30 minutes and had a surprisingly negative feel/vibe with questions geared around sales, results, operations (things that are part of my everyday routine I strive in). She seemed very disinterested and spoke negatively about how antiquated their systems are, and how much manual labor there is (again, two things I deal with). After making a strong case for my qualifications she seemed to be convinced and said the next step would be going to a store for a meeting with a Store Manager.
When I got to the store (15 minutes early) I approached the store manager and said I was there for our meeting/interview. He claimed I was a day early for the interview (which I wasn't) and was obviously angry he had to take time. He asked me for my Resume, quickly read the top and said "Ha, another one from this place". The interview was basically walking every aisle and getting a hands-on explanation of what the job entails, merchandising etc. I have been in a Regional role for over 3 years, and felt like the Store Manager was talking down to me, making a case on how difficult the job is.
Regardless, I was very excited and felt I went through the entire interview process. But I never received a call back after visiting the store. I called the Recruiter and left two messages and she never returned my call. Strange, I guess I'm over qualified.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Total Wine & More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I had scheduled interview with recruiter went well then I had to take an assetment test. I must have not passed the test. I repeatedly contacted the recruiter to follow and did not hear a response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Cherry Hill, NJ) in September 2016.

Interview

There were two phone interviews with human resource people, then two personal interviews. One with the store manager and the other with the district manager. It was a question and answer session. Seemed fairly straight forward and pertinent. Interviewers were friendly.

Interview Questions

• What experience you bring to the position, how you found the job, do you mind a 50+ work week and 10-12 hour days, etc   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Saint Petersburg, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

lenthy process. took over 4 interviews. most are an hour or more. really making a point of stressing that the job is going to take on a sales type role where you will be coaching and counseling associates on how to demonstrate the correct selling behaviors Went out of store for the first interview which was over two hours long. kind of a chatty type session. the others were more structured but really the same questions. Tended to be phone interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Jacksonville, FL) in September 2012.

Interview

VERY unprofessional.

1) Had a phone interview with HR
    2) Filled out long assessment on computer
    3) Many emails back and fourth.
    4) Received email from another HR rep. Unaware I had already had an interview
    5) Had a face to face with DM, went well
    6) More emails
    7) Had another phone interview with VP
    8) Heard noting for a week. Sent MANY emails trying to find out status with no response
    9) After 2 more weeks called DM and emailed DM to find out status. Was told they were still weeding through applicants and they will get back to me shortly
    10) Another week sent another email to the HR and got a standard rejection email.

I have over 25 years of manager experience. Only had 3 jobs my whole life and have never been through such a ridiculous process. Dont know what this company is looking for, and they do not handle business very professional.

I would not recommend this company.

Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Redondo Beach, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Excruciating. You need to scrutinize the app or it will be immediately dismissed. Also don't bother following up. If you filled it out right, they'll call you. Depending on the manager, the interview is either tedious and by the book, or fun and random. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite movie?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very little room to negotiate.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More.

Interview

Submitted resume via e-mail. Received a response in one day. Phone interview scheduled for that afternoon with HR recruiter. Questions were geared towards leading a team with specific examples. Several situational questions. For the most part it was a typical first interview. Second interview was about a week later with the DM. Again very similar to the fist with more details specific to the job. Third interview was with the AVP which was more of a get to know me and see what I have to offer the company. And finally I did a meet and greet with a store manger for a store tour. Over all it was a positive experience though it did take about 5 weeks from start to offer.

Interview Questions

• What do you feel you need to improve on as a leader? It's not that this question is difficult, but if you don't choose something it makes you seem over confident, and so choosing an opportunity for yourself that does't make you look unqualified but lets them know you know you're invested in personal development is the key.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation was necessary. Salary expectations were discussed during the first interview and were met during the offer.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Total Wine & More in May 2011.

Interview

The HR recruiter that was responsible to interview me was less than professional. She called me at 5AM in the morning by accident and then hung up and did not call back. After repeated attempts to connect, she finally called me back. The interview went well and I was told to expect a call back within a few weeks when they were finalizing the store makeup. I was emailed the next day and asked to submit a background check release and to fax it back to them. I did and followed up to make sure they had it the next day. The HR recruiters assistant said she would reach out in a few weeks when they were closer to staffing the store. She then emailed me a few days later requesting that I interview with a store manager (she listed a managers name and store number that aren't even in my state) and wanted my availability. I responded and did not hear back for weeks..... and then only to hear that I was still being considered. I noticed that the original HR recruiter was on LinkedIn trolling my info that very day - such a coincidence! After not hearing back for several weeks, I reached out again and now several weeks later, still have not even had the courtesy of a TBNT email. Strangely enough, a friend has recently had a very similar experience with the same HR partner. I wonder how this company will be successful with such inept recruiting.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Total Wine & More in February 2011.

Interview

Four interviews in total. Phone interview with a member of HR, interview with a store manager, another interview with a district manager, and a final interview with a regional manager. Everyone I interviewed with had been with the company four years or less. The interviews were more getting to know me and they did not ask any difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• What do I think it means to give a customer great service.   Answer Question
    • What was the most upset a customer has ever been at you and what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They did not offer to negotiate the job offer.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More in September 2010.

Interview

phone and face to face interviews

Interview Questions

Negotiation

fair