Total Wine & More Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

51 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Miami, FL) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, online assessment, in-person interview. Hiring district manager was highly unprofessional, slouched in his seat the entire time, yawned and appeared uninterested regardless. I arrived about 20 minutes prior to my interview only to find the district manager on his cell phone seated outside of the store slouching near the store entrance while customers were walking in. Not a good example for employees and customers.
     The store manager was seated next to him kept saying how great of a boss he is to work for. I was embarrassed for the two of them. This company is seeking individuals who are willing to serve their masters. Not seeking professionals that can provide results. Unprofessional retail environment, do not waste your time. If not considered you will simply not hear back. This is a clear example of the culture in this company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your education and past work experience?   1 Answer

Front End Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Charlotte, NC) in August 2017.

Interview

Friendly and right amount of time, the manager was on time.
    She was very informative about the company. I was told she need to talk wit regional manager and she will cal back. She never did, a wait a week after interview and cal her back, she told me " Oh I was gong to call....

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation that you have to make a decision to make a costumer happy   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Natick, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview process is long. Total of five interviews. I had three interviews with them and after the third one i never even got a rejection letter or anything i was just in limbo. Also would love to add i had a 4 pm interview on the phone with the local hr recuriter sent me a text if i could move it to 4:30 pm which wasnt a problem was expecting it to last an hour it lasted 15 minutes. She must have been in a hurry to get out of the office. The whole process with this company is redicious. The funny thing is they didnt offer me a lower position and they are trying to hire people because they cant keep people there. If you dont want to wait months for a job opportunity then avoid this place. I also wont shop there anymore rather pay more and support someone local. If i heard something back at least my opinions may have changed.

Store Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Fort Myers, FL) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied for "Store Management" which I thought would be a store manager position. During the phone interview, I was told that the store manager position was filled, and I was interviewing for an assistant manager position. I had a very professional phone interview and was sent an assessment via email to take. The next day after taking the assessment, I received an email for a face to face interview in an area store. The store manager of the store interviewed me since the DM was called away on other business that day. The interview consisted of walking the store and the manager telling me how the store was merchandised and the structure of the company. Near the end of the interview, he asked me if I could lift 50 pound wine cases and climb up a ladder to fill the overhead counters. I told him that I could not. He then said that my interview process was over then and there. He said that the store structure required all management to complete all the heavy tasks and allow the associates to stay on the floor.

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Bethesda, MD) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online, then was contacted to schedule a 30-minute phone interview with the hiring manager.

The phone interview with the hiring manager was conversational in nature. The manager provided more background about the opportunity, job responsibilities, and the company. I talked about my background. Nothing too difficult here.

I went in for an in-person interview about a week later to meet with the team and a recruiter. Prior to the interview I was aksed to fill out and print a job application to bring with me. The job application was fairly thorough--there were questions about strengths/weaknesses (called opportunities here), how many hours you feel like you need to work to be successful, career goals, past work experience, job expectations, computer skills, and what your past benefits package looked like (down to how much your monthly contribution was for things like health insurance). I found it a bit intrusive, especially the past benefits package piece. I've never come across that question before.

During the in-person interview, which lasted a few hours, I was asked about interests outside of work, my background/past work experience, goals, and work-related likes/dislikes. The recruiter asked me if I liked what I had heard during the interview, what I had heard during the interview, as well as salary expectations. There were no behavioral questions, definitional questions like "what is a user story", or brainteasers. Oddly, no one asked me for my printed job application.

Total Wine contacted me a few weeks later to inform me I was not selected for the opportunity. I did not have to chase them down to find out the interview results, although they did take a little longer to let me know than I might have liked.

Total Wine is an evolving company. I only interviewed with one team, but it sounded like each team operates a little differently. They have been around for a while, but it seems like they're still trying to formalize some of their business operations practices.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Florida, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (South Florida, FL).

Interview

I received a call from a recruiter. After a Positive conversation for about 30-40 minutes I was asked to take an online assessment. A few days later I received another call from same recruiter about my next step. My next interview was supposed to be with a DM, but the interview was moved twice and ended up being a phone interview instead. All went well, but then I was called by a Regional HR, an interview that was about 30 minutes and had a surprisingly negative feel/vibe with questions geared around sales, results, operations (things that are part of my everyday routine I strive in). She seemed very disinterested and spoke negatively about how antiquated their systems are, and how much manual labor there is (again, two things I deal with). After making a strong case for my qualifications she seemed to be convinced and said the next step would be going to a store for a meeting with a Store Manager.
    When I got to the store (15 minutes early) I approached the store manager and said I was there for our meeting/interview. He claimed I was a day early for the interview (which I wasn't) and was obviously angry he had to take time. He asked me for my Resume, quickly read the top and said "Ha, another one from this place". The interview was basically walking every aisle and getting a hands-on explanation of what the job entails, merchandising etc. I have been in a Regional role for over 3 years, and felt like the Store Manager was talking down to me, making a case on how difficult the job is.
    Regardless, I was very excited and felt I went through the entire interview process. But I never received a call back after visiting the store. I called the Recruiter and left two messages and she never returned my call. Strange, I guess I'm over qualified.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

On the phone interview, resulted in assessment sent. Took assessment, no call back after multiple attempts to reach HR contact. Would have appreciated a 'thanks but no thanks response'. It is disheartening to hear nothing one way or another.

ASM- Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a very nice a professional recruiter that conducted a phone screen. I was set up with an in person interview with the local District Manager that was conducted in store. The DM was polite enough, but his interview style was confrontational and he seemed very impatient with my answers. Not sure what was going on there but it left me with a very negative impression of the organization. Although to be fair it was only the one person that caused this. The recruiting team really seems to care about finding solid talent and are very helpful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I had scheduled interview with recruiter went well then I had to take an assetment test. I must have not passed the test. I repeatedly contacted the recruiter to follow and did not hear a response.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Total Wine & More in November 2016.

Interview

Spoke to friendly HR person over the phone. Completed an online assessment. In person interview with DM who disparaged previous candidates. DM seemed less than interested from the start of the interview

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work retail like there is something wrong with that. Give an example of how you drove metrics at your last position. Why did you leave your last job.   Answer Question