Total Wine & More Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 11, 2017

2.7

ASM- Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a very nice a professional recruiter that conducted a phone screen. I was set up with an in person interview with the local District Manager that was conducted in store. The DM was polite enough, but his interview style was confrontational and he seemed very impatient with my answers. Not sure what was going on there but it left me with a very negative impression of the organization. Although to be fair it was only the one person that caused this. The recruiting team really seems to care about finding solid talent and are very helpful.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I had scheduled interview with recruiter went well then I had to take an assetment test. I must have not passed the test. I repeatedly contacted the recruiter to follow and did not hear a response.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Total Wine & More in November 2016.

Interview

Spoke to friendly HR person over the phone. Completed an online assessment. In person interview with DM who disparaged previous candidates. DM seemed less than interested from the start of the interview

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work retail like there is something wrong with that. Give an example of how you drove metrics at your last position. Why did you leave your last job.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Total Wine & More in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through TWM's website and received a call about a week later. The recruiter seemed pleasant and appeared to love TWM. She seemed pretty upfront about the role, expectations and next steps.

The next steps part is where the interview fell apart. She committed to follow up with me 2 days later. After nearly a month and 3 unanswered follow ups from me, I didn't hear anything. While it's safe to to assume they are not interested, I'm surprised that this is how a candidate for a role with this company - especially one at a Director level - would be treated.

Given the bad behavior of this company during this initial interview process, I'm happy I dodged a bullet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Bethesda, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a brief telephone screen, and was invited to meet with peers, supervisor, director of technology and supply chain operations. The interviews were back to back, pleasant and professional. Got to white board a specific problem they had with one of them. The feedback I got was that I was higher than the offer range.

Interview Questions

• How do you translate your consulting experience with our company?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Cherry Hill, NJ) in September 2016.

Interview

There were two phone interviews with human resource people, then two personal interviews. One with the store manager and the other with the district manager. It was a question and answer session. Seemed fairly straight forward and pertinent. Interviewers were friendly.

Interview Questions

• What experience you bring to the position, how you found the job, do you mind a 50+ work week and 10-12 hour days, etc   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Atlanta, GA) in August 2016.

Interview

I arrived 5 minutes early to the store to find out that the manager I was to meet with would not be there today. After about 20 minutes of shuffling it was revealed to me that he was waiting for me at another location and that I'd now be doing the interview over the phone in back. Needless to say, it's a little frustrating to get your suit pressed, hair cut, and then spend 40 minutes on the road to do an interview you could have done from your couch. The store he was at was also just 10 minutes from my home.

The manager on duty set me up at her desk and asked the manager on the phone how he would like to proceed—whether or not she was required to sit in on the interview, if the he wanted to keep the phone on speaker, etc. His response was, “Well _____, what ______ is going to do is pick up the phone and speak into the bottom end which is the receiver and we’ll go from there.” I don’t know their relationship and she laughed it off as her “Georgia Tech education on an athletic scholarship,” but if that’s how you break the ice with a potential employee, I was a little taken aback.

The manager apologized for the mix-up, but then commented on how he had called my cell phone to track me down (which I left in my vehicle because I shouldn’t need it for an interview) and since I didn’t answer it, we were somehow both at fault for getting the lines crossed. I guess he was joking, but after the intro I just had, I wasn't real sure.

We proceeded with the standard canned questions, fixating mostly on what I define as work/life balance and schedule since I had mentioned that those things were what were prompting my decision to seek new employment. No questions about retail sales, wine and product knowledge, or management experiences. It was quick, concise and not at all what I expected from both an interviewer AND interviewee standpoint.

It felt like a no from the beginning, which is fine, but all the hoops to jump through and the lack of professionalism really disappointed me from a company I respected. Overall it was the biggest waste of time for an interview in my professional career.

Interview Questions

• What's prompted you to apply for this position?
      Describe what work/life balance is to you?
      What kind of schedule is optimal?
      Answer Question

IT Operations/Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Potomac, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Potomac, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume online through the company's system. Got an automated response it was received, HR person called me back about 2 weeks later to set up a phone screen with the hiring manager and one of the upper-level IT managers. After this interview they sent me an online IT evaluation covering a variety of server/networking topics (I would note they acknowledged that some of the topics that would be covered in this may be ones I do not have experience in, which was totally the case). I would say about a week after this I had an in-person at HQ with the above people, 2 other members of the server team, and the Help Desk and Desktop Support managers.

I will note that there were a couple of weird things that went on also; for one I did not get an e-mail acknowledgement/confirmation of the phone screen; had to call the HR person who I was dealing with a couple days later to confirm the time was still on, who then (IMHO) blatantly lied and said she had absolutely no record of talking to me to schedule a time. I was able to reschedule for later the same day fortunately, but I would advise anyone who is working with HR that they be proactive and confirm your appointment times regardless of whether you get an e-mail confirmation or not.

I did not get an offer and got the usual "we are going in another direction" response from HR about the job. Of course, I had to call THEM to extract a status, about 10-15 days after all the interviews were done, as I had another job offer come to me on the table.

Frankly I think it's probably a good organization to work for, but it's pretty sad that HR appears to fit the stereotype of being clueless about common courtesy. I also get the sense that IT is overworked and is trying to do a better job about getting organized processes in place; with 140 stores, I'm sure the IT Ops side needs to hire far more people than they have plans for.

Interview Questions

• Other than the online eval, there were not many questions concerning actual technical knowledge; most of the questions were "how did you handle this situation" or "what sorts of projects have you worked on" types of inquiries. Since I have mostly worked on the infrastructure side and this is what they were looking for, this was pretty logical.   Answer Question

Marketing Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Total Wine & More in June 2016.

Interview

Received Email asking me to do a phone interview with the manager. First two questions were about working eligibility and expected salary. Then, a combination of behavioral questions and resume-based questions. Also, there were some questions about specific analytical software that I have had experience with. Didn't get the second round interview.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Walked in asked to speak to hiring manager , kinda blew me off at first but I waited around and he helped got to interview with both the hiring & store manager on the spot afterwards& had to take a scantron personality test

Interview Questions

• A lot about past experiences . How would I great a customer ? Strategies on getting them to sign up for rewards & so on   Answer Question