Total Wine & More Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Total Wine & More Manager Interview Questions

2.3

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Total Wine & More in November 2016.

Interview

Spoke to friendly HR person over the phone. Completed an online assessment. In person interview with DM who disparaged previous candidates. DM seemed less than interested from the start of the interview

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work retail like there is something wrong with that. Give an example of how you drove metrics at your last position. Why did you leave your last job.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Total Wine & More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Bethesda, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a brief telephone screen, and was invited to meet with peers, supervisor, director of technology and supply chain operations. The interviews were back to back, pleasant and professional. Got to white board a specific problem they had with one of them. The feedback I got was that I was higher than the offer range.

Interview Questions

• How do you translate your consulting experience with our company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Atlanta, GA) in August 2016.

Interview

I arrived 5 minutes early to the store to find out that the manager I was to meet with would not be there today. After about 20 minutes of shuffling it was revealed to me that he was waiting for me at another location and that I'd now be doing the interview over the phone in back. Needless to say, it's a little frustrating to get your suit pressed, hair cut, and then spend 40 minutes on the road to do an interview you could have done from your couch. The store he was at was also just 10 minutes from my home.

The manager on duty set me up at her desk and asked the manager on the phone how he would like to proceed—whether or not she was required to sit in on the interview, if the he wanted to keep the phone on speaker, etc. His response was, “Well _____, what ______ is going to do is pick up the phone and speak into the bottom end which is the receiver and we’ll go from there.” I don’t know their relationship and she laughed it off as her “Georgia Tech education on an athletic scholarship,” but if that’s how you break the ice with a potential employee, I was a little taken aback.

The manager apologized for the mix-up, but then commented on how he had called my cell phone to track me down (which I left in my vehicle because I shouldn’t need it for an interview) and since I didn’t answer it, we were somehow both at fault for getting the lines crossed. I guess he was joking, but after the intro I just had, I wasn't real sure.

We proceeded with the standard canned questions, fixating mostly on what I define as work/life balance and schedule since I had mentioned that those things were what were prompting my decision to seek new employment. No questions about retail sales, wine and product knowledge, or management experiences. It was quick, concise and not at all what I expected from both an interviewer AND interviewee standpoint.

It felt like a no from the beginning, which is fine, but all the hoops to jump through and the lack of professionalism really disappointed me from a company I respected. Overall it was the biggest waste of time for an interview in my professional career.

Interview Questions

• What's prompted you to apply for this position?
      Describe what work/life balance is to you?
      What kind of schedule is optimal?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Total Wine & More in May 2013.

Interview

It was a whirlwind! The interview process was 7hrs long. I met with Directors of various departments and received a thorough insight into the company I would be joining. Was able to get a feel for the culture and people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Rockville, MD) in January 2011.

Interview

It took a full day, they make you feel welcome, they are all nice. You are interviewed by several people but it is not a panel interview. The final result is that they do not know what they want even when they get the best candidate. i was told by several recruiters that it tales them a long time to make a decision. it seems that they do not know what they want.

Interview Questions

• You take a strange test and no one gives you the outcome   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Miami, FL) in February 2008.

Interview

Poor interview skills by District Manager. Easy to get job...No background checks done!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Poor, they stated salary range was $60-80K in interview & then low balled me for Store Manager career.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Total Wine & More.

Interview

LONG. Phone interview by HR rep. First interview and then a second interview that was a day long process. also a test.

Interview Questions

• cant remember. the day was so long that you just wanted it to end after a couple of hours.   Answer Question

Other candidates would really appreciate relevant details that affected your decision.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Total Wine & More in June 2011.

Interview

I submitted my resume thru an online job posting. I was contacted by an HR representative at 8:45am for a phone interview later that day at 2pm. I even verified that it was to be at 2pm in my time zone and she confirmed. I was NEVER contacted for my phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Never asked any question because of the poor HR representative.   Answer Question