Total Wine & More Interview Questions in Potomac, MD | Glassdoor

Total Wine & More Interview Questions in Potomac, MD

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

IT Operations/Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Potomac, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Potomac, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume online through the company's system. Got an automated response it was received, HR person called me back about 2 weeks later to set up a phone screen with the hiring manager and one of the upper-level IT managers. After this interview they sent me an online IT evaluation covering a variety of server/networking topics (I would note they acknowledged that some of the topics that would be covered in this may be ones I do not have experience in, which was totally the case). I would say about a week after this I had an in-person at HQ with the above people, 2 other members of the server team, and the Help Desk and Desktop Support managers.

I will note that there were a couple of weird things that went on also; for one I did not get an e-mail acknowledgement/confirmation of the phone screen; had to call the HR person who I was dealing with a couple days later to confirm the time was still on, who then (IMHO) blatantly lied and said she had absolutely no record of talking to me to schedule a time. I was able to reschedule for later the same day fortunately, but I would advise anyone who is working with HR that they be proactive and confirm your appointment times regardless of whether you get an e-mail confirmation or not.

I did not get an offer and got the usual "we are going in another direction" response from HR about the job. Of course, I had to call THEM to extract a status, about 10-15 days after all the interviews were done, as I had another job offer come to me on the table.

Frankly I think it's probably a good organization to work for, but it's pretty sad that HR appears to fit the stereotype of being clueless about common courtesy. I also get the sense that IT is overworked and is trying to do a better job about getting organized processes in place; with 140 stores, I'm sure the IT Ops side needs to hire far more people than they have plans for.

Interview Questions

• Other than the online eval, there were not many questions concerning actual technical knowledge; most of the questions were "how did you handle this situation" or "what sorts of projects have you worked on" types of inquiries. Since I have mostly worked on the infrastructure side and this is what they were looking for, this was pretty logical.   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Potomac, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Potomac, MD).

Interview

I interviewed for a marketing coordinator position within the email and mail team. I started with 2 phone interviews and was brought in for an in-person interview. The first hour was a Microsoft Office test (which was not very difficult, but involved). Upon not finishing the HR rep let me know no one ever finishes...that was an odd comment. I was then brought in for 4 20-minute in person sessions that weren't too difficult.

Senior Associate, Market Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Potomac, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Potomac, MD).

Interview

The entire interview process was two-part. The first interview was in-person and was with a Total Wine and More HR recruiter. It was a little over an hour. Questions were asked about my interest in different business-units. The second interview was with the specific business unit manager. It was also in-person and relatively painless.

Interview Questions

• How does your skills and abilities translate to supply chain work?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The firm does not negotiate salary and benefits for this position. Take-it-or-leave-it.

Creative Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Potomac, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Potomac, MD) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone, Skype, In person, Personality tests,No lunch scheduled during full day of interviews.
    Had to meet 15 people and four departments.
    Hiring manager spent 15 minutes with me.
    6 month process: start to offer. Final offer was below market rate.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage employees? Small team of 6 people.
      What is your creative process? Company has no internal process structure.   1 Answer

Final offer was below market rate and insulting. Uniform, white shirt and tie, was not revealed until final in person interview the night before trip.
    Overall impression was employees disliked culture and owners micromanaging, out of date style.

POS Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Potomac, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Potomac, MD) in August 2015.

Interview

Started with talking to recruiter. Was set up a phone screen with the manager. Talk about the resume and experience. Next round was a skype interview which lasted 2 and half hours. Was interviewed by 5 people including Sr managers and HR. After this was walden aptitude test which was also easy. has 4 questions and shouldn't take more than the given time.

Overall: Easy interviews, behavior based questions mostly and Manager level interviews. Aptitude test was also easy

Interview Questions

• Strengths and weekness; How do you resolve issues; what interests you in this position; what are you hobbies, explain how you dealt different situations   Answer Question

Supply Chain Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Potomac, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Potomac, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone screen and then 4 hour interview. The interview process was relatively easy, but long, and boring considering the fact that I knew right off the bat that I didn't want to work there. The interviewers ranged from director level up to VP. As a whole, the group that I interviewed with lacked enthusiasm for the company and there were some red flags that made me not want to work there:

1. One manager mentioned that there was not much of a "water cooler culture' at the office i.e. people worked hard and just went home.
    2. A manager mentioned that they were required to wear ties to work. What is this 1975?
    3. The hiring manager just looked exhausted and did not smile once during the interview.

As a side note, I put in 4 hours into the interview process even though I knew I didn't want to work there in the first 10 minutes of the interview. A phone call stating that I was not selected would have been the proper way to provide feedback after I was not selected. I didn't even receive an email stating that I didn't get the job.

This lack of common courtesy confirmed my initial gut feeling that that Total Wine and More is not the type of place that I would want to work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project that your worked on that used an analytic approach to solve a complex supply chain problem.   1 Answer

Business IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Potomac, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Potomac, MD) in June 2013.

Interview

I saw a posting, and sent did the usual interview process. I received an initial call with their HR. I was asked a few basic questions, and then explained the interview process. Which, as listed out by the earlier candidates is quite a process.

Interview Questions

• None. However, they make you take an IQ test, which I was unaware of, and took their 'logic test' at 7:30 am on a Saturday. I had assumed it was just going to be some basic job related questions. Be prepared for a long test, and be awake.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Potomac, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Potomac, MD) in February 2012.

Interview

The entire interview process was unique except for how it ended.
    1) I had a phone interview with a person from HR
    2) I had a phone interview with the hiring manager
    3) I was asked to complete a Walden Testing Aptitude test
    4) I was asked to come in for an interview.
    5) I had 6 hrs of interviews with 5 people
    6) I was given "homework" that tested my Excel and Analysis skills

I was originally told they planned to make a decision the day after I interviewed. Only when I arrived for the interviews, I was told I would be given a "homework" assignment that I had to complete after the final interview. The interviews took place on a Thursday and a decision was to be made Friday yet I had homework. They instead said I can submit the homework the following week. I completed and submitted over the weekend and waited.

I contacted the person I had spoken to from HR Tuesday morning and he said either will get back to me that day or by the end of the week. I again waited. When Friday came, no answer and I called again and was told by the person that he would get back to me.

Final response - I received an automated email from HR stating I was not the final candidate.

Not a polite way of ending the interview process. I will never recommend Total Wine as a place to work for since company employees don't have the common sense to send a polite email or letter to a candidate that jumped through many hoops yet was cut. I've had better experience from other companies where I felt I could apply again.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you had to had a deadline and had to go above and beyond to complete?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Potomac, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Potomac, MD) in February 2012.

Interview

TW&M has a very "long" interview process for its corporate jobs in the IT field. first you have 1 or 2 phone interviews, then an aptitude test, then on-site interviews with 4-5 people, and depending on the position you are applying for, you get a final exam to test your skills relevant to that position. In general though, this process is completed in about 2-3 weeks, which is quite fast considering everything that is involved.

For the BA position, the aptitude test was to check your ability to follow processes and directions, listen and understand and be detailed, and of course to solve problems based on the the information provided. Nothing terribly complex.

From what I gathered, as a BA it seems like you get coaching on doing the work in the first 3-4 weeks, after that it is your responsibility to direct your career. From what I understood, managers will not hesitate to give feedback and you are responsible for determining how to apply this feedback to yourself.

You will talk with the HR Manager who will like to know all you have discussed, might ask you what you have learned about the org culture and will go into details telling you about the company. What you can expect is that the HR Manager will be extremely frank with you about the company's culture and you will immediately be able to determine if it is a right fit for you.

SO far, I'm still waiting to complete another part of the interview process..........!

Interview Questions

• Talk about a technically complex project you worked on   1 Answer
    • Talk about a functionally complex project you worked on (with regards to the complicated workflows, processes, models etc)   Answer Question
    • Explain a use case to a person not in the IT field...
      Explain a process-flow or workflow to a junior BA
      How will you use a Use Case in conjunction with a Test Case.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Potomac, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Total Wine & More (Potomac, MD) in October 2011.

Interview

Interview process was average but there were several rounds and the final interview took about 4 hours. The first one is a phone screen, second one was an online IQ test and the final one was 4 hour interview with deep-dive technical concepts. The interview was not that hard.