Toyota North America Interview Questions in Ann Arbor, MI | Glassdoor

2.9

21 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Translator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

I found a listing on Indeed.com posted through a recruiting company. I submitted my resume and cover letter to the recruiting company and was promptly given the opportunity to apply for the position. They set me up with an interview at the Toyota branch in Ann Arbor about a week later.

There were several people who interviewed me, two Americans that were on the project, a male Japanese team member working at Toyota, and the head of translation who flew in from LA to lead the interview who was a Japanese woman. The interview portion where we talked enjoyable. They were very friendly and it was much more relaxed than I imagine it would be for such a big Japanese company.

There was also a Japanese to English technical translation test after the interview portion. I was seated in front of a laptop with a word document open that had three paragraphs of Japanese text from what looked like a car manual written in it. The text was related to a certain function of the engine. I was given 20 minutes to translate each paragraph from Japanese to English. You are NOT allowed to use any sort of dictionary or tools to aid you in translating the text, which I thought was extremely unfair. What translator translates without reference materials? Having no previous automotive technical translation experience and no materials to reference, I completely bombed the translation test. I wouldn't recommend applying for this position unless you have a wealth of knowledge about automotive terms in English and Japanese as the translation test is just too hard to pass with general translation experience.

Interview Questions

• Do you have past experience in translation?   1 Answer
    • (In Japanese) Please list one thing you dislike about Japan and an instance of reverse culture shock after coming back to the US. (This was based on the fact that I lived in Japan for 8 years.)   1 Answer
    • (In Japanese) What made you decide to apply for this position at Toyota?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saline, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Saline, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Job application was forwarded to hiring manager by recruiter.Recruiter had provided me with job description and salary range.
    Interview was scheduled and then a panel of two senior engineers conducted the interview.
    The panel described roles of the position and what were their expectations from the candidate .Accordingly they asked various questions to verify whether I can fit into the position

Interview Questions

• What degree of knowledge you have in HEV systems?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Very bad impression. They list a job but never intend to hire. Interview was a complete joke waste of my time. The interviewer asked questions to try to extract information without any information or sales pitch about Toyota.

Supplier Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Interviewed over the phone. STAR method. Most of the questions were straight forward but they ask follow up questions so be prepared. I was then asked for in person interview which went well. My biggest concern is that they fail to respond with results and lead you on for a long time. This is pretty disrespectful for a company this large to not respond to emails regarding the interview.

Interview Questions

Toyota North America Response

Nov 14, 2016

Thank you for your interest in Toyota and taking the time to interview and share your experience with us. We apologize that you weren’t followed up with in a timely manner as we strive to provide... More

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview took about 30 minutes on campus. It was very relaxed, and the interviewers were very nice and not intimidating. Positive experience. Only behavioral questions, nothing difficult.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge that you recently faced, and innovative solution you used to solve it.   Answer Question

Body Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Ann Arbor, MI) in December 2015.

Interview

The whole process only took about 10 days. I had multiple other offers, so Toyota expedited the process quite efficiently. The first round was a simple 20-30 minute phone screen. 3-4 simple behavioral questions along with salary requirements and availability. Next round was an on-site interview in Ann Arbor. This involved was 10-15 minute presentation, Q&A, STAR questions and some technical questions rounding off with a tour. In total, the interview took about 2 hours. An offer was given the following morning. In general, everyone I met was extremely kind and seemed very happy. Cafeteria smelled good but didn't really see what was offered. I was told that they offer a Japanese entree each day and also have local restaurants come in each day to supply food.

Interview Questions

• Very basic STAR questions. Describe a time when you used your engineering know-how to solve a problem. Describe the most complex problem you solved. There were others that I can't remember. The person that asked the question was very nice and smiled and joked a lot, so it was not a very high pressure situation. There were also some technical questions. They don't ask you anything you don't already know how to do. The technical question that were asked stemmed directly from my presentation so I was fairly well equipped to answer. Hope this helps. Overall, I think future interviewees will feel very comfortable during this interview.   Answer Question

Coop Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2015.

Interview

I had an on-campus interview. it was very easy. met the recruiter in the career fair. Then, i got a call the same day for the interview tomorrow. The interview is a normal behavioral question interview. it was short and easy. Got an offer right after that.

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2014.

Interview

Recruiters mainly asked behavioral type questions, not too bad! They were all really nice and had a lot to say about the company when I asked questions. Overall positive experience!!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had a problem you had to solve. How did you go about it?   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Ann Arbor, MI) in February 2014.

Interview

Met recruiter at career fair, and scheduled an interview. Interview was with 2 people, one HR and one technical. They were both friendly and professional, yet didn't know much about the co-op program. Interview lasted 30-45 minutes with behavior, STAR type questions. I was offered the position within next 3-4 days! I appreciate the quick turn around!

Interview Questions

• Q: Why Toyota?
      Q: Tell me about a time you made a decision -- walk me through the process   Answer Question

Powertrain Engineering Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Toyota North America (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by an HR representative who said she my resume came across her desk. She asked a few basic experience and background questions and then scheduled a phone interview for the next day.

The same HR rep interviewed me. It took about 40 minutes and was a series of about 5 pretty basic behavioral questions followed by asking about any questions I had.

I received a call about a week later asking to confirm some basic information about my graduation date, current class standing (ie. junior), and availability to work for the winter term. She said she had to talk to the hiring manager again with this info but what he told her seemed positive and she would call me back the next day. The next few days went by with no call. Another few days later she called asking me to confirm the same information and that she would call me back later that day. No call came and then almost a week later she called again asking to confirm THE SAME information and that she would call me back in a few hours. Finally, she called later that day extending the offer and explaining some details. Then, not surprisingly at that point, the email offer letter came about a week after it was promised.

One thing I found odd was that I was never interviewed by or spoke to anyone in engineering. I would have liked to ask questions and get specific information on the position other than "you'd be working in power train." Especially because they contacted me so I never got to speak to a campus recruiter or anything.

Interview Questions

They recruit pretty heavily from my school so I had multiple acquaintances who had worked there and said they largely had negative experiences across the board. Most saying the facility wasn't very innovative as most of the exciting R&D work takes place in Japan.

I was excited to take the job at first but the negative reviews I heard and how unprofessional the communication was made me reconsider.