Toys "R" Us Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Toys "R" Us Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2017

2.1

Overnight Stocker Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us in May 2014.

Interview

it was boring my boss was a transvestite he want me to feel his rabbit under his hat. what a perv. I got the job. I now play with toys all day as a stocker

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Wayne, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

The interviews was eight very grueling hours. After talking about my past experience, I was told "We don't split the atom here- we sell toys." How terrible!

Unless you have a business background or enter the Witness Protection Program with an identity that has a business background, it's best to stay away.

Seasonal Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Riverside, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Arrived an hour prior to interview time and was told by an employee to look around the store then wait in the area by the break room 5 minutes before the interview time which was at 3pm. I did exactly that but was waiting and waiting until it was about 3:15 so I went back to the same employee and asked her when they were going to start because I had been waiting. She then tells me to go into the break room, which she did NOT tell me first hand. I walk in and the group interview had already started and the interviewer told me I was too late. I told him I had been waiting for an hour and nobody told me to go in and he just told me I was late. I clearly wasn't and was clearly not given proper instructions.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Totowa, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Totowa, NJ) in September 2012.

Interview

Single handedly the most wacky, off the wall interview I've ever experienced and will ever experience that will leave you wondering if this company takes itself seriously or not.

Unlike most group interviews where it's you versus multiple managers, this time you and several other applicants are being tested and interviewed at the same time, in the same room.

You're asked very few questions for the most part are subjected to a series of game-like challenges involving everything from submitting a toy idea that you build with Lego blocks to agreeing on a toy with the entire group of applicants in order to do a make-believe 1 minute commercial on it that tests your teamwork and leadership skills with strangers and competitiveness.

I think what I found to be the most frustrating after the fact part about this experience is that the managers play along and do the challenges as well. The annoying part of this being that they know the best possible solutions to their own challenges which they like to show off with an air of obnoxious superiority to pat themselves on the back while dazzling you. For example, with the Lego block challenge, you're tasked with creating a toy design using Legos within a certain time limit and then pitching it, along with a suggested retail price, to the managers and other applicants who can then praise, ask questions about or criticize your idea.

After everyone has their turn, the manager goes and places a single block on the table saying his idea is the block itself, the keystone, as without that, nothing can be built and therefore he can demand any price he wants as anyone looking to build anything would have to go through him and be forced to pay him any price he asked for this priceless resource. The senior manager gloated at length about his simple genius and how one block trumps all of our designs combined and while it was ingenious, I found it to be a cheap and easy out.

Before such festivities though, the interview starts with each applicant tearing any number of sheets they desire (with a minimum of 1) from a roll of toilet paper. The applicant will then have to tell everyone in the room a number of facts about themself equal to the number of sheets they tore off. However, during my particular interview, others knew about this part thanks to a past applicant spoiling the secret and they all selected 1 except for me so it got changed to everyone had to tell a number of facts about themself equal to the highest amount torn by a single person, which was me with five sheets. The manager revealed had everyone selected 1, it would've been the combined total of them all which would've been 7 that day.

After the few basic questions and the wacky challenges (we only had time for two, the legos and fake commercial), we then watched a brief orientation video while being called out of the room one by one to be thanked, asked if we had any questions and then sent home.

I think the worst part about all of this was the manager knew I was unemployed at the time with my unemployment benefits completely exhausted. I told him how much getting this job meant to me and he said to call back the same time next week only for me to find out that he decided to go on vacation that day. What insensitive person goes on vacation for a week starting the day you told someone who you knew was literally starving and having utilities shut off to call them?!

Personally, I didn't like the manager at all. I always had this vibe and impression that he was the rude, disrespectful, pencil-pusher type.

Interview Questions

• Build a toy with Legos within 5 minutes. Give it a name and a price then pitch the idea to us. Explain why we should want to sell your toy in our store.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC (Canada)) in May 2013.

Interview

I was interviewed by the head of Toys R Us Quebec, so I knew right off the bat that it was going to be tough. I could tell that he grew disinterested in me, and we'd only been speaking for roughly 90 seconds. He continued to converse with me, but he was just killing time and waiting for me to stop talking. It was rather nerve wracking and frustrating. He ended the interview saying that if he needs me, he will call me. Which basically meant that I had failed the interview (They were hiring on the spot).

Interview Questions

• I understand why you want to work for us, but tell me WHY should I hire YOU?   1 Answer

Overnight Stock Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Ventura, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

you basically interview your partner, present each other in front of the class, and take a product you have on you, and try to sell it to the class / show and tell. Honestly, no one from the school did anything except take roll and supervise the children. Had i known this, i would have stayed home and not wasted my time

(Yeah, i know i'm describing a school / classroom setting because honestly; that's how it really felt)

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Virginia Beach, VA) in November 2010.

Interview

They had people pickup a toy from a shelf to describe it. You had to pick a word that describe you. It's childish that they have people build lego blocks of a product. They said they had jobs. At the end of the interview they had no jobs. It was a waste of time and gas. With the economy being this bad. I would do healthcare career and go back to college to avoid cheap seasonal retail jobs that pay poorly

Night Stockman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Rockville, MD) in September 2010.

Interview

Had to pick out a toy from the store I'd want to buy. Then in the group interview we had to each impersonate a cartoon character and the other interviewees had to guess who we were. Then the interviewers left the room and we paired up and had to get to know another interviewee. When the interviewers returned we had to "sell" the other interviewee to the interviewers and say what experience they had and why they should be hired. However, there was a twist, we had to "sell" the other person pretending we were Billy Mays. Next, we had to "sell" ourselves and say why we were better than any other person in the room and why we should be hired over everyone else. I was the only caucasion person in the room and felt very uncomfortable explaining why I was better than everyone else in the room. Lastly, we had to swap toys and read the box and "sell" the toy to the group. This was the strangest and most uncomfortable interview I've ever been on. I am very quiet and reserved. I just want a quiet night job where I can stock shelves. Why do I need to talk like Billy Mays?

Interview Questions

• Explain how you are better than everyone else here and why we should hire you over them.   1 Answer
    • "Sell" your co-interviewee to us in your best Billy Mays impression and explain what skills he has and why we should hire him.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Hawthorne, CA).

Interview

If was a group interview they had us each introduce our slef. We had to go pick a toy then you had to stand in front of the group and try to make them want to buy it. But before you have to talk about it they make you switch with the person to your left and sometimes the other person has a toy you know nothing about so I recommend to have at least something to say about all the toys.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Baltimore, MD) in December 2016.

Interview

The entire process took too long and i had to wait forever for them to respond. I kept calling but they would always say the same - please wait and we will get back to you