Toys "R" Us Sales Team Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Toys "R" Us Sales Team Member Interview Questions

Interviews at Toys "R" Us

2.0

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Cleveland, OH) in October 2010.

Interview

I filled out an app and they called me the next day for an interview. I arrived 40 Minutes early ( Because I was on the bus) the Manager told me to look around the store while the others arrive for the group interview. While I looked around I made sure to talk to all of the employees I smile and said hey to everyone including the customers during this time because even though I didnt see him i knew he was watching. after 1 hour went pasted he called me to the back ,5 of the people that he was suppose to interview with me didnt show and he said there was no need for the group interview with just two people.

So we went straight to the one on one interview. First we went around telling each other about ourselves (they was another Manager in the interview as well) then They ask Question like "What are your strengths and weakness" "How would you handle a problem" and then they handed me a toy and told me to sell this toy to them (It important to read the box and tell them what ages the child has to be for the toy and if it needs batteries) after that the Manager hired me right on the spot. He said he was impressed with me about how early I was, How I interacted with the employees and the customers while i waited for the interview to start. Remember they are always watching you even if the interview hasnt start yet

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Toys "R" Us

Anonymous Employee in Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Cuyahoga Falls, OH) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone call about a week later to come in for an interview. It was a group interview with 4 other people. We were asked to introduce ourselves and say who our favorite cartoon character is. Then we were given some legos and kinex and were asked to build something and be ready to present what your built in about 15 minutes. Then we all went into the break room and the interviewer talk to us individually.

Interview Questions

• Who is your favorite cartoon character and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Ok so I needed a job and decided to look around. I used job-hunt websites and saw that the Babies "R" Us was hiring so I was like cool im up for it. I started the application around January 15 but it was really long and I ended up finishing it about a week after. I got call a week after I submitted the application (sometime early February), the girl said if I was interested in an interview with them and of course I said yes.
    Since I was super excited, I googled interview process/tips, and ended up seeing that most likely it would end up being a group interview, and that it would consist of very "fun" activities. Immidietly I was contemplating on going because im extremely shy, and I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it. But I couldn't really pass on the offer, luckily I found this website and it helped alot im pinpointing exactly what the interview would consist of. So the day of the interview, I get their a couple of minutes late, luckily the manager was extremely polite that he didn't much care. I got to the room and their was 3 other people. The manager first asked around what was everyone's previous job, and everyone had retail experience but me. (I said something about it being my first job oppertunity, and I said it in an extremely shaky voice). After that slip, we had to interview a partner and then present him to the manager. (Fairly easy, I could've done better though). After we had to pretend to be a favorite cartoon character and act like them without talking. Then the manager brought out a basket and dumped out a bunch of products and we had to sell it to them. (This was my most dreadful part, cause I felt like the attention was all on me, but it wasn't at all. Each person was focusing on what to say that they weren't even paying attention, and the manager was just smiling and nodding) . After I expected a 1-1 interview, but the manager just gave out general information on the rewards program, tips on selling, etc. And we were sent off and told they would contact us.

Interview Questions

• What do we like to have at Babies "R" Us?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I actually didn't negotiate at all because they ended up calling me a week after my interview (they went ahead and ran a background check) so when they called I immediatly said yes. I didn't know how much I was going to get paid until orientation, and once told I found it very good wage. More than other retail jobs around the area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Charlotte, NC) in November 2011.

Interview

It was a group interview that lasted about an hour. We introduced ourselves and had to stand up and pretend that we were doing a commercial about a product. No one took us to the back to get to know us more. Personally, this wasn't my type of interview so my experience was negative.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in one word using the first letter of your name.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tucker, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Tucker, GA) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied the Friday night and that following Sunday, at 12:30 am (I was surprised of ). The person asked me a couple of relevant questions on my history, like if I had any retail experience of which I had none, then asked me if I could come on in the coming Monday (week before Black Friday) at either 10:00 am or 5:30 pm for a group interview. I choose 5:30.

One thing I should note is that I believe the HR person working is fairly new but was awfully nice (this will lead into my dilema I'll talk about in the end, though shouldn't worry anyone really, but important*** after interview advice).

Thankfully I found this website the night before and found was glad to find the group interview was similar to everyone else on here.

Interview:
    I arrived about 5:25 pm, and approached the service desk at the entrance, where I was told to look around the store and then return to the break room. I really only had time to walk around the place once, looked different from when I saw the store about a year earlier, brighter in my opinion. There was good reason for that. I returned to the break room and sat down with about 20 other people. The HR person checked who was there, waited 5 more minutes for late comers, and talked a tad about herself. Then the person went for the manager who introduced himself and talked about Toys R Us as a whole and how they were attempting to give the store a face lift, giving the customer a knowledgeable service something a store like Walmart can't give you, along with more choice (they carry quite a bit of exclusive toys). The manager talked about changing people and that he was new in the past 6 months, had organized the store to a more organized manner (which I agreed with).

Then they asked us to go and get a toy we craved as a child or such, learn as much as we could about it, and then took turns presenting it. I wanted to stand out so I went last so as to not give hints to the others (mainly because I read Glassdoor posts!) and it helped people kept going forward without being asked. I choose Legos (which you can't go wrong with really at Toys R Us). Things to mention:
    – Age
    – Batteries (only if required*) > Toys R Us makes a ton off batteries
    – Add some Enthusiasm/Passion/Knowledgeable insight... like I mentioned that though Lego's says for 7 to 12 year old age, I still own my today
    – Price (I was the only one that mentioned Price)

Then they took people one by one into an office and gave a one-on-one interview with the manager and HR person. Talked with the manager most of the time, who asked me the same 2 questions I got asked on the phone about why I hadn't been working for a few months (I just graduated and took some personal time but tutored at a non-profit) and if I had any retail experience. I answered in the same way as on the phone, expanded a little on my history. Then the manager offered me a job. He said the only reason I got the job was because they really needed help (wouldn't of gotten a job if I applied a month earlier without retail experience) and I got a degree recently.

Note: I wore nice jeans, T-Shirt, and nice fleece, unlike the majority of the group. So I'd agree it's pretty laid back. Just figure a way to stand out!

After Interview:
    Now, they told me that "hopefully" in 2 days I'd get a call after background checks came through and be "on the floor" by the coming Sunday ready for Black Friday. I didn't get a call and finally called on Friday, HR person said Sunday, then I called on Wednesday (yes before Thanksgiving) and they told me the contract was signed and that day, but because of the time left I'd get a call next week. The delay I was told due to the Black Friday hiring rush and background checks got backed up. I think this has to do with the HR person's inexperience, but now it is the following week and still no call. I'm sure they still want me, but I'm the one making calls here. So just be wary on the time it takes with background checks, I have no criminal history, just this HR person has little experience with it, search it online if you have any more questions!

Interview Questions

• Do you have any retail experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Brooklyn, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

It was about 10 of us in a backroom, waiting to be called. They called us into the store manager's office one by one in the order we arrived. I thought it would be a group interview but it wasn't. When I was called, the store manager and an HR person was there. The manager asked me basic stuff about my last job, like what did I do?, and why did I leave? Then he asked me about how I would handle a situation at da store if something spilled. He also asked about what questions I would ask if I worked the cash register. I said I would ask if they needed batteries, if they wanted to but the extra set to a toy if it came with one and I said I would ask if they wanted to sign up for the credit card or the rewards card. He said those were all good answers. Then he told the HR person he was done with me and then she told me they would do a background check and call me in a few days for orientation and she told me what to wear. They called me back and now I'm working there.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a spill on the floor and there was alot people around?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Salinas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Salinas, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Well I just applied online, and answer the questionnaire right since they called me. Also, I researched how the interviews would be conducted and its a semi-formal interview, be ready to present in front of people that's a key thing. They will give you 5 min to walk around the store and pick out a toy that describes you and present it to the group and hiring team. (advice) Go to the store earlier and walk around and find out what describes you so you know ahead of time. Also, when you're done with that they'll make you pick a toy that they have already in the room and sell it to them, "like if they were a parent saying why should I buy this for my child?" Then lastly, you'll get in a group and put Leggos depending how many people are there mine was 7 people so 3 people and two groups of 2, so they put a bunch of Leggos in different spots for any group can chose witch one the want to get. And you have to make something out of the Leggos and sell it to the Hiring managers. My group made a robot:) we called it Robot Max he was a farmer on Mars, he has a little intena where he re-sieves instructions of what to plant alien plants and we biuld a shied where he lives and we had to price it 7$ for robot max and 3$ for the shied. Finally, the one on one interview, but in my case it was a group one on three. BIG ADVICE go with a group that you notice that are confident in the speech and don't hesitate to speak up and have a good imagination(like myself). well hopefully this helped anyone:)

Interview Questions

• Can you handle feed back?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Citrus Heights, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Citrus Heights, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Group Interview

- Say your name and an adjective that starts with the first letter in your name
    - Go onto the floor grab your favorite childhood toy and attempt to sell it to the interviewer (mention age, batteries and add on) what they are looking for.
    - Get to know the person next to you and tell the interviewer why they should hire them.
    - Wait to be called for a panel interview with Manager, HR supervisor, & HR assistant

took 3 hours

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Hill, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Pleasant Hill, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

It was pretty easy and laid back. There was a group interview with 3-5 other people. We did things like selling products and interviewing other people in the group. A few days later I was asked to do a 1:1 interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Columbia, MD) in August 2011.

Interview

When you apply, you must take an online personality/skills test. All of the questions in the test were unrelated to the job description. Some of the questions were conventional wisdom questions like how to treat a customer. If you pass the test, then you will be asked to come in for an interview. The next step is the interview at the store with two employees in the training room. The interview had two segments: group and two on one. During the group interview, the employees gave information about the company and position. The next part consisted of conducting an interview with the other applicant and taking notes. You would then use those notes to explain why this person would be a great fit for the company. After that, you would swap roles with the other applicant. This part of the interview was immensely gratuitous. What was the significance of explaining why another applicant would be a great fit for the company? Next, you had to pick any item from the store and sell it to the employees. You are given a minute or two to retrieve the item and sell it. The final part was the two on one interview. All of the employees were dressed casually in a red uniform (shirt). One of the interviewers was using her handheld transceiver during the interview, and this was drastically unprofessional. If you are going to conduct an interview, then you should accentuate some professionalism. Two days after the interview, I received a rejection email from the HR Department. They never gave rationale behind their decision. As far as advice, you should select an item you are familiar with and comfortable selling.

Interview Questions

• How would you define your management style? What do you like the most/least about your previous jobs? How would you deal with a bad employee? Where do you fit in here? Why Toys R Us? Why this position? What is your long term goal? Give an example of when you had to deal with an angry customer. Give an example of when you gave great customer service. What concerns you about this position? Give an example where you had a tough time adjusting in a previous job. Why this retail environment?   Answer Question