Toys "R" Us Seasonal Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 6, 2017

1.8

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Lincoln, NE) in October 2016.

Interview

So, I think I can honestly say that my experience when interviewing with TRU (that's what they call Toy's "R" Us for short) was different than most others. I read on Glassdoor before my interview and learned that it would be a group interview and everyone would sit around a table and "sale" to them your most favorite childhood Toy. But after we were all seated, the hiring managers went outside the room to discuss something and as they came in, one of them said to the other, "I don't know, this has never happened before." Then the other manager said we will be taking each of you into a room to interview you one on one. I still had to "sale" my favorite childhood Toy to them, but I really do think that question is really just for breaking the ice. My interview proceeded to go just how you would image an interview to go. They asked questions concerning my work ethic and how I would handle specific situations and so forth. At the end of my interview they told me up front that they would like to hire me, provided I pass a background check, which I did pass.

Interview Questions

• One question they asked me is, "do I prefer to talk to others, or would I rather just do my work and not engage in conversation?"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Toys "R" Us

Anonymous Employee in Carle Place, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Carle Place, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

It took about ten or fifteen minutes total. A manager asked me about prior experience and how it would translate to being a cashier. We reviewed my availability and said they need weekend workers. I was asked a math question. He also reviewed expectations and described the background check, which was very basic.

Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Kennesaw, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

Very Quick and easy the assistant manager lead me into the break room where the manager sat and they interviewed me. They were all very nice and smiled which made me very comfortable. I was asked one question and the asked for my social security number and told I would get a background check and today I got the job. I can't wait to start.

Interview Questions

• What were some of your work experiences?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (North Las Vegas, NV) in November 2015.

Interview

It is a group interview that had several steps to it after watching a bunch of videos.The first part they have you as a team make a product out of legos and sell that product. Second, they have you pick an item out of the store, learn as much as you can about that item (such as up sells too) and then sell it to the group. Lastly, they pull you in one by one and ask your preferences in work section, times, dates, etc. They will usually inform you whether or not you have been selected at this point, contingent you pass your background check.

Interview Questions

• Where would you like to work in the store upon being hired?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Orlando, FL) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview process was simple. Done in one group with about 5 people, although there were supposed to be 8. They just want to get a feel for your personality, so they divide you into pairs and ask you to "make a toy" out of provided legos and then present it to everyone else. Afterwards they call you in one by one and either hire you on the spot or not.

Interview Questions

• Do you have transportation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Gainesville, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

We had a group interview and were asked the general "tell me about yourself" basics. Then we were given a small puzzle (12 or so pieces) and split into groups and told to put it together with the pieces blank side up. We were then let loose in the store and told to grab a random toy from a section they assigned each of us and bring it back to the break room where we had to give a sales pitch on said toy. Lastly we had quick 1 on 1's with the GM.

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Davenport, IA) in October 2012.

Interview

Interview took about 1 hour and a half. They asked your name then describe yourself the first initial of your first name. Then they asked you to go pick a toy from the sales floor and sell it to them first you had to say "what can I help you find today?" Then you had to make something with Legos and tell them how you contribute to the group. Finally they took you to their office for a one on one interview. They ask you if you have any questions and do you have any experience.

Interview Questions

• If I give you a job offer right now would you take it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. 7.50 to seasonal people.

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Dublin, OH) in October 2012.

Interview

It was the end of October and they were hiring Seasonal Cashiers and Sales Associates. I applied online and got a call to come in for a group interview the next day. There were about 8 other prospective employees in the group interview and they had 2 managers overlooking the process.

First of we all had to introduce ourselves briefly and why we were looking to work here. We were then split into two groups; first we had to make some kind of toy out of a pile of lego's we were given and had to explain what it was, what it was supposed to do, basically sell it to the managers. After this, they had a pile of actual toys; each of us had to pick one and sell it (make sure to mention if it takes batteries or not, what the age limit is for the toy, etc).

Finally, we had to sit around for an hour as people got called in for a personal interview one by one. When I got called in it was mostly basic interview questions. "What would your previous employer say you were strong at?", "Tell us about a time you had to solve an unusual issue and how you did it?" Honestly it was a pretty easy interview over all in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• None of it was really hard, but the hardest part was probably the personal interview questions where you had to think of situations where you've had to fix an issue or act as a leader.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (San Jose, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

I was asked a few questions on the phone about my availability from the manager and he shared some information about the working environment during the holidays.

Afterwards, I was brought in for a panel interview where we had to introduce ourselves in the form of a cartoon character. This was fairly easy for me since I have a strong acting background. Next we were paired up and had to interview each other, then sell our partner to the HR Manager based on what we had learned from each other. The store manager came by and told us some information about himself and the store. The last activity we did was try to make a commercial from the toy we picked and sell it to the HR Manager. She was very impressed with my commercial because I made a note of any choking hazard warnings on the toy as well as the age range it is recommended for in my commercial. At the end of the commercial, we were brought in for 1 on 1s with the HR Manager and the Store Manager and they told me they would call me in a few days. I ended up getting offered the job today.

It was definitely a fun process overall, and it was structured that way because they wanted to hire based on your personality.

Interview Questions

• The manager was hoping one of the candidates would have asked someone to describe a time in which he/she had to meet a sales goal, but I will make a note of that for future reference.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a non-negotiable 8.50 an hour.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Maria, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Santa Maria, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

You go in as a group, they give you a tour and interview you one by one. If you do not have experience and or are just out of high school, more than likely you'll be hired.