Trader Joe's Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Trader Joe's

1.5

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2013.

Interview

I was emailed about 3-5 days after I sent in my resume and cover letter. I had a phone interview with the recruiter who was very nice, but also very pressing on actual customer service experience. It started off with an overview of the company and then she had me go through my resume. After that she asked basic questions about career goals, customer service experience, your basic day on your job.

I come from a Managerial Consulting background and have leadership, team-building, and supervisory experience (about 4 years worth). In the interview she pressed me about how I was more of corporate person. I countered with I deal with people, provide customer service, and have customer service experience from college etc. Clearly they only want people with customer service experience or someone that could wow them more than I could. They are looking for "career growth hunger, passion, enthusiasm, basic intelligence etc." I guess they didn't see that in me, and that isn't a surprise considering there is no job offers from any of the people on here who interview for this job either. Why waste people's time? Just do a better job reviewing resumes.

Additionally, there is no career growth. That was made clear even-though they promote it on their career website. You can become "Captain" - their word for store manager - after several years, but after that it was clear that there is really no more growth - "our regional VP have been in their positions 15-20 years." I hear the store managers have complete control and make up to the 6 figures, so it isn't all that bad if that is where you want to stop. So don't pick anything higher than Store Manager as your career goal.

All and all, I would suggest not wasting your time if you don't have 5 years + of retail grocery supervisory experience - just check the LinkedIn profiles of Assistant Store Managers there: it will give you a clue!

Moreover, one last quote paraphrase: We go through 30,000 plus applications a year and only hire 100 something - so you know your odds, as even if you get the interviews, you can see from the reviews, that they don't hire many at all - what a waste of human capital resources!

So, all and all, it was a bit disappointing they wasted my time; they could clearly see from my resume I was not the fit they were looking for. Oh well, I have other positions that are higher up and pay better calling me for interviews!

Good luck to rest of you out there!

Interview Questions

• None. Go through your resume, relate it to the job; describe your basic work day; etc   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Santa Barbara, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

email after 7 week of waiting, said that I was qualified for the position but they did not have any at this time. they want to contact me as positions opened up in my area. I got the impression that they were just looking for future candidates and did not have a real job offer.

Interview Questions

• if I was still interested in the position   1 Answer