Trader Joe's Interview Questions in California | Glassdoor

2.2

139 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Horrible experience. I believe it was primarily rooted with the Regional Vice President, Adam McMickin in San Francisco. I interviewed with two GM's before him, John and Kevin, and it went incredibly smooth; lived up to everything Trader Joe's in supposed to represent. Adam was different- I told my fiance I IMMEDIATELY detected he was a bit pompous. The whole time we spoke he had a very arrogant way about him. I left the interview and happened to run into the two GM's and they told me they both gave two big thumbs up each and were excited for the outcome. Long story short, I was baffled when the VP called me to tell me I was rejected. He told me they wanted a high caliber person who could grow. Currently I'm being prepared for a regional directors position to take over a potential 29 locations with my company. I was willing to take a "lower" position to grow with them. The only conclusion I could come to was Adam felt threatened. I even emailed him back asking for a second sit down in which he responded, "the decision is final." Pompous guy who likely felt threatened and clearly doesn't reflect anything Trader Joe's stand for. They made a horrible mistake on missing out on a guy who's proved himself across every aspect of his job and has shown years and years of loyalty. They really need to improve they're hiring process and get rid of arrogant people like Adam.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to be with Trader Joe's?   Answer Question
    • How will you handle leaving a job you've been with for so many years?   Answer Question

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online, although they really prefer that you come in and ask them about the job when you see the sign outside that they're hiring. It took maybe a week or so and I got a call, and then we set up an interview. There are usually 2 interviews, a more casual one with a mate and the second, slightly more difficult one, with a captain.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's?   1 Answer
    • Describe a difficult experience with a customer - how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What would your supervisors at your last job say about you? And your coworkers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I applied to an LA branch and it was a huge waste of time. I went in and handed in my application and answered some screener questions: what do you know about Trader Joe's, why do you want to work here, and what is your favorite food item? Then, they gave me a card and said they would call me, or if I didn't hear back in 30 days, to give them a call. A day or two later they called me to set up the first interview.

The first interview was with a mate and it was pretty casual. Standard interview such as, why do you want to work here, where do you see yourself in five years, what do you like to do for fun, etc. I thought it went really well and they said they would let me know the next step in a few days.

A couple days later I got a call to set up the second interview. I went in and it was more of the same, except this time with two mates. I walked away feeling pretty good about it, but not a shoe-in. They said they would let me know in a few days and that this was the final step.

A few days passed. Nothing. I started to stress out a little bit, and I followed up after a week. They said give us a few more days. A few more days passed and by now I was sweating bullets. I knew it probably wasn't good news if I had to wait this long. I gave them a call after the second week had passed and they said, "We're glad you called. Unfortunately, we went with another candidate." Apparently the guy who had my application went on vacation and had it locked away, so nobody could get to it and let me know.

I essentially wasted a month. I recommend not applying unless you're applying to multiple branches and you don't need a job right away. And ignore the casual vibe. That threw me off my game.

Crew Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Diego, CA).

Interview

They held a Job Fair at the store that they are opening on my college campus. They had the application available online but also had applications to fill in person. All we had to do was walk in and give the application to one of the managers. I attached a résumé to my application and they manager reviewed it with me. The process took only about 5 minutes. Very comfortable and easy.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

fill out application, speak to managers, go to interview, sit and answer question. typical interview, no real difference in any other typical run of the mill interview. There really is not much to say, the management just sat and asked basic questions. There is no drug test, no aptitude test.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Sacramento, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

When I went to turn in my application I had a pre-interview on the spot so they could get a feel for me. It was fun an relativity easy but kinda caught me off guard so make sure you turn in your application mentally prepared for some questions! About 10ish minutes in they have me schedule a real interview for one week later. I go in the next week and its super positive and a great atmosphere. The interview was a lot of fun and wasnt difficult.
    Hoonestly the most important thing is just to have fun with it and be yourself! The people that are interviewing you are just trying to get to know you! They wanna make sure you're gonna be a good fit so just be yourself, be positive and have fun with it! Try not to let your nerves get the best of you, just be as honest and joyful as possible and you'll do great!

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview was given by two team leaders.they asked me to introduce my self.and my previous job experience. The good part of my job and the part I didn't like of the two jobs in my resume. And some other questions very conversational. It went well. And the people who give me the interview were very friendly. 30 minutes after the interview they scheduled the second interview for me and inforEd me on phone.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Casual and laid back. Very friendly. They seem to be looking for honest people with an open availability. I got hired within 2 days just from hoensty and be humble and genuine. The manager who hired me said he liked me right on the spot. I got the job 2 days later and started working within days. Trader Joe's seems to be an honest and hardworking company with many perks. Highly recommend working here especially if you're a student. They are flexible with hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Brief since they were not currently hiring. Very nice Mate took my application and commented they were not currently looking to add staff right now. It has only been 5 days but they encouraged me to reapply after 30 days if I didn't get a call as they do not like to pass on talent. No offer yet.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product and how do you use it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by two Mates. It was eerily like a good cop/bad cop interrogation. I had the impression that they were doing their best to make me not want to work there.

Interview Questions

• They asked basic interview questions such as what my prior work experience was and what I expect from the job.   Answer Question