Trader Joe's Crew Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 27, 2017

2.2

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Paramus, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

Handed in application at the "bridge" which they call their customer service kiosk pretty much. Was asked some questions on the spot. I think they were trying to get a feel for me. Then I had 2 more interviews with Mates (assistant managers) and then a final interview with the Captain (store manager). I got a call 2 days later with a job offer.

The interviews were there to pretty much get a sense of my personality, that's what I was getting at. So I think if anyone just acts positive and acts like themselves then they should pass all the interviews. Make sure to ask them questions at the end and don't be discouraged if you're not hired the first time you apply! I applied to Trader Joe's 6 other times the past 2 years before finally getting hired. It's hard and it's not easy predicting who they'll hire!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Diego, CA).

Interview

They held a Job Fair at the store that they are opening on my college campus. They had the application available online but also had applications to fill in person. All we had to do was walk in and give the application to one of the managers. I attached a résumé to my application and they manager reviewed it with me. The process took only about 5 minutes. Very comfortable and easy.

Crew Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

It was quick and painless. The interviewers started off as cold and uninterested but I believe that is a test to see if you can create a conversation. Be interesting, be friendly, be unique. That's what they want to see and if you do that you've got a good shot.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one time you've had to deal with a difficult customer, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Manhattan Beach, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

must know products and company values, why you want to work for them. must have a friendly personality and charisma. know what you want to do in five years and ten years.

Interview Questions

• what's your favorite product   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Printed an application from online which is nice because no one does paper applications anymore so they don't know who they are talking to but this place does which is great! Go in, got an immediate interview( be prepared, they will interview you once you walk in and turn the application in), got a time to come in for an interview at 9ish in the morning, interview lasted 10-15 minutes and was hired on the spot. Get to start paper work in a couple of days.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why do you want to work for trader joes?
      2. What could you offer trader joes?
      3. What's your favorite product at TJs?
      4. What are you looking for in a company?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They give you $13/hour so I wouldn't be too picky about how much your getting. It's 3 dollars more than what I got and the managers where I worked start at $13/hour so in a sense that's good for trader joes but sad for the managers of where I used to work.

Anonymous Employee in Plainview, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Plainview, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Sat with the captain and a mate and discussed my experience and how my personality would fit with the store's culture. Learned about the role and expectations. The benefits and salary were discussed. The interview was conducted in the break room and was casual. The interview was probably about half hour and I was asked when I was available to start.

Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Towson, MD) in October 2014.

Interview

Come into the store and fill out paper application. Be prepared to discuss you favorite item in store. No official qualifications needed they hire strictly on personality. So smile and be your wonderful self.

Anonymous Employee in Delray Beach, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Delray Beach, FL) in August 2014.

Interview

Was hired through a new store job fair. When application was turned in I had a screening interview and was immediately called in to go to the next interview. The second interview was with a Mate standard questions. Finally the last interview was with the Captain and was almost identical to the previous interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Orange, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Took completed application in to store and submitted to one of the mates. I was asked what my favorite product was, given a card with mates name to call if I hadn't heard from them in a week. I was called I two days later, had second interview two days after that. I was hired within a week.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Trader Joes?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Albuquerque, NM) in October 2013.

Interview

There are an average of 3 rounds for interviews. You must meet 2-3 mates (managers) and the captain (general manager) for your interview process to be complete. They look for people who are customers of the store and know the products. Personal chemistry with the all crew members is important. Trader Joe's only accepts applications in person. They like to see you and your personality to find out how it will work with the store.

Interview Questions

• Do you shop at Trader Joe's?   1 Answer