Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

fill out application, speak to managers, go to interview, sit and answer question. typical interview, no real difference in any other typical run of the mill interview. There really is not much to say, the management just sat and asked basic questions. There is no drug test, no aptitude test.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Easy, informal. I was offered the job the same day. I think it helped that I was dressed in a cute outfit. Sounds ridiculous, but they like to hire pretty people. At least in L.A.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an angry customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview was given by two team leaders.they asked me to introduce my self.and my previous job experience. The good part of my job and the part I didn't like of the two jobs in my resume. And some other questions very conversational. It went well. And the people who give me the interview were very friendly. 30 minutes after the interview they scheduled the second interview for me and inforEd me on phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

For the record~ Love Trader Joe's as a brand (think it's a great company) & obviously done my research figuring it's one of the top companies to work for...not to mention better than average pay. ;)

Anywho, onto the "interview" (or lack there of)...

After much extensive research (& the fact I really need a job), I figured I'd try my luck with a reputable company. I printed off the job application, my resumé & headed to my nearest store. I walked in & ended up actually speaking to a Captain at the front registers (talk about luck, lol). We briefly spoke, him asking what I liked about Trader Joe's & what not, kinda briefly went over the pay, etc. I gave him my application & resumé of which he seemed interested in. He said I should hear something back from them. Waited about a week, spoke with someone (who was really nice) & they said give it a little more time as the hiring manager was still going through the applications. Waited about 2 more weeks, gave another call and spoke with someone (also really nice) and they kinda mentioned that the hiring manager was now sick and was out/give it a little more time. Ended up calling in another two weeks because I'm like hey, it's been a month usually it shouldn't take this long right? Anyways, got someone who seemed a tad rude~ish & he basically said that the process normally does take this long & that I should either get a call or something in the mail. At this point I'm just thinking the worst & low and behold about a week later I got a letter in the mail, yada yada you didn't get the job essentially. As with another poster who posted earlier, I know that I too am not great with interviews. Not even considered for a In person interview-ouch. Their loss I suppose and into the next one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I had interview at the Trader Joe's on 200 E 32nd St.

I applied in-person. The Mates were very friendly and helped answer questions I had about the application.
    After the application was filled out, I had a very brief screening/on-the-spot interview, asking why I wanted to work at Trader Joes and what was my favorite Trader Joes product.
    (Since I had had no previous work experience, I was also asked about the work I did volunteering.)

Exactly a week later I received a call and scheduled an interview the next day.

For my 2nd interview I interviewed with another Mate. It took place in the stock room on the 3rd floor with no crew members present, so the atmosphere was relaxed.
    I was asked about previous work experience and some personality questions. I then took a turn asking questions.

Tip: The Mates are happy to answer questions, so be prepared with questions for your interview! It will also show interest from your part.

The interview lasted about 15 minutes. I thanked the interviewer and was lead out the stock room. I was told I would hear from Trader Joes in a few days.

Tip: If you plan to make a follow-up phone call after the interview, please, do not forget to ask for the interviewer's name/contact info!
    I made this mistake when I called Trader Joes a week after my interview. I called to ask about the status of the job position, and when I was asked to provide the interviewer's name, I panicked and said I wasn't sure. This made the phone call very awkward, and the mate said they follow up with me shortly. However I'm sure this killed my chances.

Regardless I had a very pleasant experience and, although still embarrassed about my blunder, will continue shopping at this location.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite Trader Joes product?   Answer Question
    • Name adjectives that your coworkers and supervisors would use to describe you.   Answer Question
    • What was your most favorite/least favorite part of your job/ work experience?   Answer Question
    • What do you think will be your most favorite/ least favorite position as a Crew Member? (Cashiering, stocking items, etc.)

Tip: Be familiar with Crew Member responsibilities in the job description.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Boston, MA).

Interview

When I handed in my application, the store caption happened to be there, and he asked me a few questions on the spot. Then he scheduled an interview for a few days later, with a different store manager.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite Trader Joe's product?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

My interview lasted approximately one hour and was very in-depth and engaging.

Because this was a job I was pursuing after a career job of over 30 years, I was naturally anxious about what I could offer the company, even more so than what they could offer me. But I was fortunate to get the opportunity and chose to just be myself and be clear and honest with my responses.

Interview Questions

• What kind of previous retail experience do you have?

Which of our products do you like best?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Brief since they were not currently hiring. Very nice Mate took my application and commented they were not currently looking to add staff right now. It has only been 5 days but they encouraged me to reapply after 30 days if I didn't get a call as they do not like to pass on talent. No offer yet.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product and how do you use it?   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2017.

Interview

Applied in person, filled out a form. I was scheduled for one interview. They then asked me to come back for a second interview. I found out I received the job two weeks later.

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

I walked in with my application and resume and briefly talked to a store captain. He asked me what brought me in to apply, what my favorite product was, and my availability. He then scheduled a formal interview to follow. The interview was simple, fun and extremely conversational. If you enjoy people, hard work, food, and fun you will have no problem nailing this interview. Listen to the job overview so that you can make sure you are ready for the variety in work you will be doing to make sure it is the right fit for you. Ask questions about advancement, training, benefits and something personal about the interviewer. If you've done your research, let it shine and show them you genuine interest with candid answers and a smile :)

Interview Questions

• What have you enjoyed most in your past jobs? What have you liked the least?   1 Answer