Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions

Interviews at Trader Joe's

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Lincoln, NE).

Interview

I went into the store and handed the acting manager my application. She looked it over, then immediately asked, "What's your favorite Trader Joe's item?" I answered, and then she signed me up for an interview the very next day. I had an interview with the assistant manager, where he took me to the back of the store and we sat in chairs across from each other. It was very casual. He asked me very normal questions about why I wanted to work at TJ's and what I was hoping to do. He was friendly and I answered everything in a friendly but concise manner. I had prepared for most of the questions he'd asked. When the interview was over I asked him questions about himself. He then invited me to come for a second interview with the store manager. The second interview was much the same and he asked nearly the same questions. I asked him a lot of questions about himself and his opinion of the store and he spent most of the interview talking--more than I did actually. At the end of the interview he asked me to reapply for a manager position and mentioned that if I didn't get the management position he'd hire me as a crew member. Very laid back and earnest interview process. There was no background check or drug test.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

There are three interviews, the first is when you drop off your application and they ask why you're interested and what you love about Trader Joe's. The second is with a mate and the third is with the captain.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product?
      When was a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
      Describe a difficult encounter with a customer and how did you handle it?
      What did you like/dislike about your last manager?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Wellington, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Wellington, FL) in April 2014.

Interview

loved it! Got hired on the spot in my first interview and it was my B-Day! The mates interviewing me sang me happy birthday! I was hooked from the start, I felt welcome right away and glad I finally found a place that will allowed me to be myself.

Interview Questions

• Why I didn't enjoy my work as a legal assistant   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2017.

Interview

It was pretty simple, you just had to go in and ask for an application, fill out said application and then turn it in. They will take about 1-2 weeks before either calling or sending you an email for a follow up.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online to the Trader Joe's website in May 2017. I also went in person to a particular store to give my application. I got an email from the store I visited in person saying I wasn't hired, but in fairness, they did tell me that particular store wasn't looking to hire at the time, but would pass my resume along to other hiring stores. I thought I wouldn't hear back from them again, but recently, I got an email about a Trader Joe's hiring fair happening during the weekend, and of course, I attended. It was happening one day only, and you could come by with your resume and interview on the spot. I interviewed with a Mate (manager) and the interview seemed to go very well. There was a list of written down questions to answer and they took notes as I answered then. I was asked to stick around and interview with another Mate who had another set of questions to ask me. I apparently did pretty well, because the following day I got a call with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time at work where you had to deal with a difficult customer?

Name a time where you were asked to do something at work that made you uncomfortable?

At your last job, what was the process of evaluation for employees?

Are you comfortable doing physical work?

Name a time in your life, whether personal or professional, where you had to address a need no one else was meeting?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Got an interview for a store, but when I got to the interview he said they were fully staffed. Mate said he would personally call with any news instead of the generic letter in the mail or email. Didn't happen, got the generic email. Waste of my time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Sarasota, FL) in August 2017.

Interview

I turned in my application in person and had an immediate screening with a Mate. One month later I was called for an interview. I interviewed with the Captain and it seemed to go very well. She informed me that a Mate would be calling within a few days to set-up a second interview. Within a week I received a call and went back a few days later for an interview with two male Mates. I felt like one liked me and the other was annoyed and bored, but I really felt like I would be offered a position......I know I'm a good fit for Trader Joe's, a hard worker and a people person. However, I don't have recent job experience having been a stay-at-home mom for many years. Four days after the interview I was surprised to receive a form letter email and not a phone call. It thanked me for applying but said I would "not be interviewed at this time". What?? I had just completed two interviews. I called the store and was told the email meant I wasn't hired. Very unprofessional of them to not only not call after two interviews, but to send an email that didn't even apply to my situation. I then called back and asked to speak to one of the three people who had interviewed me. I was put on hold for a long time then was told one of the three would call me back. I never received a call. This experience has broken my TJ heart. They just aren't who I thought they were. I'm sad to have not been hired but much more upset that they treat potential employees (who are probably customers) this way. So disrespectful. Management at this store should be ashamed of themselves. They can't even stand-up and make the difficult phone call.

Interview Questions

• Why Trader Joe's? Favorite TJ product? What do you think it will be like working for TJ?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2017.

Interview

I talked to a shift manager in person. I was told that they were hiring right now. I gave my filled in application downloaded from the Trader Joe's website and some supportive materials. I was asked what brought me to apply at Trader Joe's? I was also asked what was my favorite product? I had looked up some of the questions they might potentially ask on Glass Door. This made the process much easier! I was prepared with several responses to each question. However, the manager seemed to give the impression that one short response was enough. The manager confirmed how many hours I was requesting. It seemed to go well. I was told to give it about two weeks, and they would get back to me either way. I am still waiting for a reply currently.

Interview Questions

• What brought you to apply at Trader Joe's?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Three interviews. Informative. Professional. 4 different interviewers. Process took 2 weeks in total. Offer in 1 week after last interview. Many questions about knowledge of food, customer service. much information provided about company culture.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Trader Joe's. Why do you want to work here.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Clifton, NJ).

Interview

I went in and handed in my application and my resume. The manager and assistant manager were the nicest people I have ever met. They ask you some questions and tell you if they have a position for you they will let you know.