Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 3, 2017

2.2

396 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Lincoln, NE).

Interview

I went into the store and handed the acting manager my application. She looked it over, then immediately asked, "What's your favorite Trader Joe's item?" I answered, and then she signed me up for an interview the very next day. I had an interview with the assistant manager, where he took me to the back of the store and we sat in chairs across from each other. It was very casual. He asked me very normal questions about why I wanted to work at TJ's and what I was hoping to do. He was friendly and I answered everything in a friendly but concise manner. I had prepared for most of the questions he'd asked. When the interview was over I asked him questions about himself. He then invited me to come for a second interview with the store manager. The second interview was much the same and he asked nearly the same questions. I asked him a lot of questions about himself and his opinion of the store and he spent most of the interview talking--more than I did actually. At the end of the interview he asked me to reapply for a manager position and mentioned that if I didn't get the management position he'd hire me as a crew member. Very laid back and earnest interview process. There was no background check or drug test.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

I submitted a paper application and got a call to set up an interview about two weeks later. I interviewed with a mate a few days after that. It was very relaxed and we had a good conversation. We then set up an interview with the store captain for the next week, which was just as relaxed and we had a good conversation again. He asked different questions from the mate, but essentially both of them wanted to gauge if I was social enough to engage with customers and be a team player with a good attitude. They also spent a lot of time--at least half of each hour-long interview--answering my questions, and they were more than happy to do it. I left both interviews feeling great about working at Trader Joe's. I haven't heard back yet but I hope they offer me a position!

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

From what I can remember, when I submitted my application, along with my resume, they asked me a few basic questions. Maybe that's part one of an interview. They then called me a few days later to schedule an in-person interview. I was interviewed by a Mate. The interview went really well, and instead of having to be interviewed by the Captain, I was offered the job on the spot. Everyone at Trader Joe's is so friendly and understanding.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

i printed out an application, filled it out, dropped it off at the store and was scheduled for an interview right there in person. i went to the interview a week after and it was really easy going and non stressful interview. told me they would call me within 2 weeks. still waiting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Short. Felt good for the most part. However, for a place that is looking energetic people my interviewer was very, very laid back. He was more interested in my last job than he was into me as a person and a possible employee at Trader Joe's. He also only asked me one question pertaining to Trader Joe's.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's?   1 Answer
    • Did I need special credentials for my last job?   1 Answer
    • Was there ever a time I had to deal with some one difficult from my last job?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Bellingham, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

I went in the store 5 minutes early and spoke to the woman who I gave my resume to the day before. She told me that the manager would come and find me when he was done with something, and that I could walk around the store and check it out in the meantime. About 15 minutes later the manager finds me, we shake hands, and he asks me if I wanted some water. After accepting his offer he grabs me a water off the shelf and tells me to follow him. He checks out the water and gives me mine, then we walk back to a hallway, and we sit down on these crates with a pad on top and have the interview. After about 35-40 minute chat (the interview took longer than expected because we are both talkative), he offers me a crew member position, and explains the details.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, and what you do for fun.   1 Answer
    • Have you shopped at Trader Joes before?   1 Answer
    • Why would you like to work at trader joes?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your family and what to they do? Do you have any siblings?   1 Answer
    • Do you know what the bells mean (1,2, or 3 bell)?   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Immediately upon application, a manager took the time to speak with me about my experience and availability. I was given a call to sit down with him and one other manager shortly after. He was easy-going, friendly, and fun to speak to. The interview was conducted in the back-room of the store and felt very comfortable and informal. After this interview, I was called back sit down with the Captain (General Manager) of the store.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was sent an email that stated "I am writing to set up a time for the next step in our interview process. I apologize for the short time frame..." It was very short notice but I immedately replied and set up a time. When I arrived at the Chelsea store, I saw about 4 other people filling out an application. Since I already had mine, the interviewer and I went to the side, took a seat and she started interviewing me. In all honesty, I thought the interview went well. I answered all her questions clearly, I was personable and even tried to engage the interviewer. In the past, I have interviewed for Trader Joes and after I always felt like I could of did better with the interview but this time, I was confident that I would be offered a position or an interview with the captain.

The interviewer at the end even looked over my schedule and I was hopeful. However, a few days later, I received an email that said "I would not be moving forward in the interview process" The next step would have been to speak with the store captain which I desperately wish I could have done. I don't think it's fair for candidates to only speak to a hiring manager and have them make the choice. I believe the captain should also speak with the candidates because they have the final say. I was really discouraged when I recieved the email. I've always had a respect for Trader Joes and I know I would have been a great team-member but now I don't believe I will apply for Trader Joes again because it's obvious they have a "personal criteria" in hiring employees.

A few days later I called the Chelsea store out of curiousity and asked if I could speak to the store captain. I was told by the manager (mate) that he wasn't in. I asked when he would be and called again on the day where I was told the same thing again. Finally, I ended up explaining the situation to the mate since it was apparent I would never get to speak to the captain. He told me to call the 72nd street store since they deal with who gets hired and gave me three people I could speak too. I called the store and ended up speaking to a hiring manager, she said if I wasn't selected, I just wasn't the right fit but she was extremely cold which surprised me since this is Trader Joes. When we finally hung up, I decided it's probably not worth applying in the future despite the fact that I've been trying for years, I obviously don't have the factor that they are looking for despite being college educated, friendly, hardworking and dependable. I even told the manager during my interview that my schedule is flexible "depending on the store's needs" so if that isn't dedication to the store, I don't know what is.

By the way, the short time frame email is done purposefully. A relative of mine applied the next week and they also sent her the same email the day before the interview "apologizing for the short time frame" when booking the interview which is pretty inconvienent to those who work or go to school.

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Temecula, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

3 Interviews. First with fellow crew. Second with Mates (asst. mgrs). Third with Captain (manager). All three interviews pretty much asked the same exact questions. Very friendly interviews. I wasn't intimidated at all.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you were challenged and were able to resolve it.   1 Answer
    • What can you bring to the team   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Temecula, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview was a 4 step process. Applied in store and got a mini interview on the spot. Then had 3 formal interviews, 2 with 2 mates each, and one with the Captain. Questions were pretty standard and I felt they were looking for a positive, hard working person.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite TJ's product? Why TJs? How would you describe your favorite product? Describe a situation when you dealt with a difficult customer. What does excellent customer service mean to you? Hobbies? What role in TJ's are you most excited about? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Describe what you think working as a Crew member would be like.   Answer Question