Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2017

2.3

356 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Lincoln, NE).

Interview

I went into the store and handed the acting manager my application. She looked it over, then immediately asked, "What's your favorite Trader Joe's item?" I answered, and then she signed me up for an interview the very next day. I had an interview with the assistant manager, where he took me to the back of the store and we sat in chairs across from each other. It was very casual. He asked me very normal questions about why I wanted to work at TJ's and what I was hoping to do. He was friendly and I answered everything in a friendly but concise manner. I had prepared for most of the questions he'd asked. When the interview was over I asked him questions about himself. He then invited me to come for a second interview with the store manager. The second interview was much the same and he asked nearly the same questions. I asked him a lot of questions about himself and his opinion of the store and he spent most of the interview talking--more than I did actually. At the end of the interview he asked me to reapply for a manager position and mentioned that if I didn't get the management position he'd hire me as a crew member. Very laid back and earnest interview process. There was no background check or drug test.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Clifton, NJ).

Interview

I went in and handed in my application and my resume. The manager and assistant manager were the nicest people I have ever met. They ask you some questions and tell you if they have a position for you they will let you know.

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Got an interview for a store, but when I got to the interview he said they were fully staffed. Mate said he would personally call with any news instead of the generic letter in the mail or email. Didn't happen, got the generic email. Waste of my time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Sarasota, FL) in August 2017.

Interview

I turned in my application in person and had an immediate screening with a Mate. One month later I was called for an interview. I interviewed with the Captain and it seemed to go very well. She informed me that a Mate would be calling within a few days to set-up a second interview. Within a week I received a call and went back a few days later for an interview with two male Mates. I felt like one liked me and the other was annoyed and bored, but I really felt like I would be offered a position......I know I'm a good fit for Trader Joe's, a hard worker and a people person. However, I don't have recent job experience having been a stay-at-home mom for many years. Four days after the interview I was surprised to receive a form letter email and not a phone call. It thanked me for applying but said I would "not be interviewed at this time". What?? I had just completed two interviews. I called the store and was told the email meant I wasn't hired. Very unprofessional of them to not only not call after two interviews, but to send an email that didn't even apply to my situation. I then called back and asked to speak to one of the three people who had interviewed me. I was put on hold for a long time then was told one of the three would call me back. I never received a call. This experience has broken my TJ heart. They just aren't who I thought they were. I'm sad to have not been hired but much more upset that they treat potential employees (who are probably customers) this way. So disrespectful. Management at this store should be ashamed of themselves. They can't even stand-up and make the difficult phone call.

Interview Questions

• Why Trader Joe's? Favorite TJ product? What do you think it will be like working for TJ?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2017.

Interview

I talked to a shift manager in person. I was told that they were hiring right now. I gave my filled in application downloaded from the Trader Joe's website and some supportive materials. I was asked what brought me to apply at Trader Joe's? I was also asked what was my favorite product? I had looked up some of the questions they might potentially ask on Glass Door. This made the process much easier! I was prepared with several responses to each question. However, the manager seemed to give the impression that one short response was enough. The manager confirmed how many hours I was requesting. It seemed to go well. I was told to give it about two weeks, and they would get back to me either way. I am still waiting for a reply currently.

Interview Questions

• What brought you to apply at Trader Joe's?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online to the Trader Joe's website in May 2017. I also went in person to a particular store to give my application. I got an email from the store I visited in person saying I wasn't hired, but in fairness, they did tell me that particular store wasn't looking to hire at the time, but would pass my resume along to other hiring stores. I thought I wouldn't hear back from them again, but recently, I got an email about a Trader Joe's hiring fair happening during the weekend, and of course, I attended. It was happening one day only, and you could come by with your resume and interview on the spot. I interviewed with a Mate (manager) and the interview seemed to go very well. There was a list of written down questions to answer and they took notes as I answered then. I was asked to stick around and interview with another Mate who had another set of questions to ask me. I apparently did pretty well, because the following day I got a call with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time at work where you had to deal with a difficult customer?

Name a time where you were asked to do something at work that made you uncomfortable?

At your last job, what was the process of evaluation for employees?

Are you comfortable doing physical work?

Name a time in your life, whether personal or professional, where you had to address a need no one else was meeting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shrewsbury, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Shrewsbury, MA).

Interview

Dropped off application in store and had a mini interview. Received a call back the following for a second interview a week later. Very informal . Interview lasted for about 15 to 20 minutes

Crew Member Interview

Interview

You are asked in store questions when you submit your paper applications. Questions include what is your favorite product and why would you like this store. You are then called in for an interview. That should determine your eligibility.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2017.

Interview

So this is my second go at Trader Joes interview process. Everyone knows its 3, mine was with 3 mates, and I was just nice with the Captain when I approached the desk. You literally dont have to fabricate an answer on why you want to work there, just explain in an educated manner. I havent shopped at TJ's since 3rd grade, and that was fine with them, but why the company? They want you to engage, feel free to open up, ask as many questions, even if you feel silly, dont be afraid to say the wrong thing. Have a good attitude and an open mind and be flexible, you can get this job, and the 3 interviews are not that stressful as you think, as long as you show up on time, say hello, dont pull out your phone, and have interesting answers, because they interview multiple applicants in a day, so stand out with your strengths. But if youre only applying for that higher wage, expect to work for it.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work at Trader Joes   Answer Question
    • Explain a time you had to solve a conflict with a customer or a co worker   Answer Question
    • what motivates you in your daily life   Answer Question
    • what would be your favorite and least favorite part about this job from the job description and why   Answer Question
    • will you have this availability for a good amount of time   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2017.

Interview

It was pretty simple, you just had to go in and ask for an application, fill out said application and then turn it in. They will take about 1-2 weeks before either calling or sending you an email for a follow up.