Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Arlington, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied intending to fill a night/weekend position while I care for my daughter during the day, which was made very clear at the beginning of the process.

Handed in a paper application. Received a phone call a week later. Two interviews of medium length about a week apart. The First interviewer an assistant manager, who was friendly and cordial, who immediately recommended me for a second interview.

I Was told this second interview was to be with the manager, or "captain." However, upon arriving for the second interview, I was given a bait and switch and told I'd be meeting yet another asst. manager, despite the fact that they conceded the manager was on premises.

The Second interviewer was much more hostile than the first, and attacked my experience (f which, for an entry level night job working just above minimum wage, seemed excessive and antagonistic) and my availability (which had not been an issue for during both the phone screening and the entire first interview).

I was then told I'd receive a call back within a few days and never did. I was very disappointed in the second interviewer's professional demeanor and the lack of a promised follow up.

Interview Questions

• "You don't have a lot of retail experience..."   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY).

Interview

Submitted an application in person (its a written application). Got a call about scheduling an interview with a hiring manger (mate). Interviewed then interviewed again with another manager. Both interviews were relaxed- more like conversations. Then offered a position at the end of the second.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to resolve an interpersonal conflict   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Annapolis, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

The hiring process (so far) has been quick and enjoyable . I put in an application in-person, and was asked some questions on the spot . I got a call a week later to set up an interview. The interview was with two of the managers and was very easy and laid back.
    A couple days after that, I got a call for my second interview which was even more fun and easy-going. This interview was with another manager, who was very personable and easy to talk to. They said they would give me a call on that Sunday to let me know if I got the job or not . It is now Monday and I have not heard back, but I will be following up tomorrow.

Interview Questions

• What would your co-workers say about you ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

Called a few day days after handing in an application, met with two very professional managers. We discussed my interests, prior work history, and why I was applying to the store. The interview was very relaxed and personal.

Interview Questions

• What's quality customer service to you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silverdale, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Silverdale, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

I felt very confident with how both my interviews went, feel that I fit the "Trader Joe's" mold, am a college graduate, have years of retail experience, am a current shopper there, and am very knowledgable of their products and company. Both the assistant manager and the manager seemed receptive to me and I felt so sure that it went well. I eventually got the call from the manager that I was not selected for the job, but the guy had the nerve to express that he "hoped I would continue to shop and find new products at their store." Two days after the rejection, I found that the position had been re-posted on an online job board. Pretty frustrating experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your dream job? Explain what you know about the company, what is your favorite product here.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Secretive. Stage oriented. Highly filtered.
    I personally applied to five Trader Joe's and each and every one was different in staff vibe, store vibe, and interview vibe. Ultimately I was offered a job at my favorite of the locations and felt as though they were extremely positive and sweet in making me feel like they would be happy to have me on board when it was I who was excited. Very happy to be in TJ's.

Interview Questions

• Why Trader Joe's?
      What's your favorite product?
      Discuss a situation inwbhich you experienced conflict with a co-worker.
      1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

First your asked on the spot what your favorite TJ item is. Next you are called in about a week or 2 for an interview if they liked your resume. The interview can be 1 on 1 or with 2 Mates. Once you pass that interview there was one more about a week away with another 1 or 2 mates. Overall fast and not very bureaucratic.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

In my first interview I got interviewed by a mate and crew member. They were both really friendly. They called me for a 2nd interview 10 mins after I left. In my second interview I got interviewed by 2 crew members. Again very friendly. I felt very confident as I was reading their positive body language when I would answer each question. I tried to call them but they never answered me. In the end they sent me a letter in the mail that I was not selected for an interview after 2 interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Washington, DC).

Interview

There were three steps. The initial screening (a couple questions about why I was interested) when I handed in the application. A second screening with an assistant manager which went about 25 minutes. A third interview with the store manager. Overall process was quick and painless and I was hired in a week.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work history. What's your favorite product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Grabbed an application and turned it in, got a call for an interview a few days later.
    Met with a mate and reviewed my experience and asked me a few questions about my character and problem solving on the spot.
    After the interview, he wanted me to speak with the captain who he left for lunch already so the next day set up a time. Arrived next day and spoke to Captain; an informal/formal discussion began and we seem to hit it off, he talked about his lifelong commitment to the company and how my goals relate to working outside my general profession.
    he offered me a position right on the spot.
    Next steps are orientation and training . Yay me!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered a higher rate due to my experience in customer service which could result in a leadership
    Role in the future