Trader Joe's F/T Crew Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's F/T Crew Member Interview Questions

Interviews at Trader Joe's

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Three interviews each with two Mates (Assistant Managers). They basically want to see how customer focused you are and what skills you possess in dealing with people and get a feel from you as to how you will interact with the rest of the crew.

Interview Questions

• Name a recent difficult interaction you had with a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not a whole lot of room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

There were three interviews. The first one was when you put the application in. The Mate would give you the application and talk to you for a minute. The second interview you talked to the second in charge of the store and they told you what was expected of you. The job is very physical,. You have to be able to break down pallets at the end of the night and restock the store. The third interview was with the manager of the store.

Interview Questions

• Can you use a pallet jack? Are you able to lift boxes that weigh 50lbs or more? How are you customer service skills?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

Turned in the application, had an immediate screening with one of the Mates, got a call the following day for an interview, interviewed the next week and got an offer the same day. The process took less than 2 weeks.

Anonymous Employee in Shrewsbury, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Shrewsbury, NJ) in February 2012.

Interview

Met with "mate" and she liked what she heard so I met with the Captain. Each interview lasted about 10-15 minutes and the questions were pretty straight forward. Seemed interested in my opinion of the company and why working there was important to me. Both interviewers represented the company professionally. When I was hired, this continued.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pretty siple. They called me the next day and said we'll start you at XX. I said make it XX + 20% and they said OK.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Three different people interviewed me. They seemed nice. One really seemed to have no professional experience as she didn't understand my resume and thought that all my jobs were random while they all used the same skills. There wasn't really any HR involvement.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how I would handle disagreements.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I told them I trusted them to offer me the right wage and the offered me more than most people due to job experience but much less than I was used to making.

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Gainesville, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

Very laid back. When you turn in your application there is a few questions they ask you immediately. If you get an interview call, you meet with either two mates (asst managers) or a mate and the captain (manager). They'll ask you questions about your experience with the store (be honest, even if you haven't been in the store before). They'll ask about how you might want to work in various areas of the store, as well as your availability and all that.

Interview Questions

• If you were to have us over for dinner, what would you make us?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Kansas City, MO) in June 2011.

Interview

Simple. Interviews seemed bored and were very short. Seemed unhappy with their job. Did not have good eye contact with me. However, if you can speak in full sentences you can get a job. Seriously.
    Initially spoke with one manager, then came in to speak with same manager and captain. Very disorganized and they were late and kept me waiting for quite a while. Didn't check references or past employers.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite trader Joe's food item?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

First I wasn't interviewed by the person they said I was suppose to. The interviewer looked like she didn't want to interview anyone. Of course they had a paper in front of them with questions. And they rate on how u answer. And the interview took place in a closet.

Interview Questions

• What kind of humor do I have?   1 Answer

F/T Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Went in and got an application from a mate who was very nice and seemed very eager to have a new crew member. I filled out the form and returned it the same day. Since the captain was not there I got a phone call a few days later to come in the day after I received the call from the captain to interview. The interview was uneventful and I got a conditional job after the day after the interview

F/T Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2018.

Interview

Two official interviews each with two staff. Interviewers were friendly and the questions were typical of any interview. Know why you want to work there and be familiar with their company values/environment and you'll be just fine. If they don't offer a job on the first round but you interviewed well, they'll recommend you reapply at another date (generally when they have more openings).