Trader Joe's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Dec 3, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Bellingham, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

I went in the store 5 minutes early and spoke to the woman who I gave my resume to the day before. She told me that the manager would come and find me when he was done with something, and that I could walk around the store and check it out in the meantime. About 15 minutes later the manager finds me, we shake hands, and he asks me if I wanted some water. After accepting his offer he grabs me a water off the shelf and tells me to follow him. He checks out the water and gives me mine, then we walk back to a hallway, and we sit down on these crates with a pad on top and have the interview. After about 35-40 minute chat (the interview took longer than expected because we are both talkative), he offers me a crew member position, and explains the details.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, and what you do for fun.   1 Answer
    • Have you shopped at Trader Joes before?   1 Answer
    • Why would you like to work at trader joes?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your family and what to they do? Do you have any siblings?   1 Answer
    • Do you know what the bells mean (1,2, or 3 bell)?   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Immediately upon application, a manager took the time to speak with me about my experience and availability. I was given a call to sit down with him and one other manager shortly after. He was easy-going, friendly, and fun to speak to. The interview was conducted in the back-room of the store and felt very comfortable and informal. After this interview, I was called back sit down with the Captain (General Manager) of the store.

F/T Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I dropped by and filled out their written application and handed it to the Mate.
    He was very nice and gave me his business card and said they would reach out soon.
    I received a call to come into interview approx 2 weeks later. I arrived 20 min early and and checked in with the Leadership desk. I waited and was greeted by a Crew member that lead me to a warehouse area 3 floors above..
    3 folding chair set up, 2 facing 1.
    Another crew member joined us.
    I thought the conversation with these two very nice and cordial individuals went really well..
    Walked away feeling really confidant.
    I received a letter saying I was not chosen and that they were thrilled I was interested and they hope I will continue to shop there.
    I wish I would have at least gotten feedback as to why I wasn’t chosen instead..
    All I can imagine is that I’m over qualified, or my age has something to do with it...
    I shopped today at Trader Joe’s, I did not see any employee with a smile or any customer engagement throughout the store..
    My check out experience was basically Blah, no smile or Good Morning. I looked around and still did not see one smile amongst any of the cashiers.
    He said Paper or Plastic bags?
    I said paper..
    After all the research I did and my excitement I had about this company, I realized none of these employees are engaged..
    Employee engagement with customers are the key in WOW..
    It’s great to have a valuable product.
    If the experience is just ‘Blah’ when you go there, than you are not offering Good Customer Service..
    Just my take on it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

Interview

I applied online and was sent an email that stated "I am writing to set up a time for the next step in our interview process. I apologize for the short time frame..." It was very short notice but I immedately replied and set up a time. When I arrived at the Chelsea store, I saw about 4 other people filling out an application. Since I already had mine, the interviewer and I went to the side, took a seat and she started interviewing me. In all honesty, I thought the interview went well. I answered all her questions clearly, I was personable and even tried to engage the interviewer. In the past, I have interviewed for Trader Joes and after I always felt like I could of did better with the interview but this time, I was confident that I would be offered a position or an interview with the captain.

The interviewer at the end even looked over my schedule and I was hopeful. However, a few days later, I received an email that said "I would not be moving forward in the interview process" The next step would have been to speak with the store captain which I desperately wish I could have done. I don't think it's fair for candidates to only speak to a hiring manager and have them make the choice. I believe the captain should also speak with the candidates because they have the final say. I was really discouraged when I recieved the email. I've always had a respect for Trader Joes and I know I would have been a great team-member but now I don't believe I will apply for Trader Joes again because it's obvious they have a "personal criteria" in hiring employees.

A few days later I called the Chelsea store out of curiousity and asked if I could speak to the store captain. I was told by the manager (mate) that he wasn't in. I asked when he would be and called again on the day where I was told the same thing again. Finally, I ended up explaining the situation to the mate since it was apparent I would never get to speak to the captain. He told me to call the 72nd street store since they deal with who gets hired and gave me three people I could speak too. I called the store and ended up speaking to a hiring manager, she said if I wasn't selected, I just wasn't the right fit but she was extremely cold which surprised me since this is Trader Joes. When we finally hung up, I decided it's probably not worth applying in the future despite the fact that I've been trying for years, I obviously don't have the factor that they are looking for despite being college educated, friendly, hardworking and dependable. I even told the manager during my interview that my schedule is flexible "depending on the store's needs" so if that isn't dedication to the store, I don't know what is.

By the way, the short time frame email is done purposefully. A relative of mine applied the next week and they also sent her the same email the day before the interview "apologizing for the short time frame" when booking the interview which is pretty inconvienent to those who work or go to school.

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Temecula, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

3 Interviews. First with fellow crew. Second with Mates (asst. mgrs). Third with Captain (manager). All three interviews pretty much asked the same exact questions. Very friendly interviews. I wasn't intimidated at all.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you were challenged and were able to resolve it.   1 Answer
    • What can you bring to the team   Answer Question

Crew Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Woodbury, MN) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview was pretty informal, it was with another crew member and someone who I believe was an assistant manager. Maybe it was this particular store, but they seem to want really laid back, bubbly "yessir" type people. The AM called me the next week to let me know they wouldn't be moving forward with a second interview which didn't surprise me, although his coldness when I asked for feedback did. "We don't give out that kind of information," he said. I've heard good things about TJ generally, so I'm hoping it was just this location that suffers from poor management.

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Temecula, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview was a 4 step process. Applied in store and got a mini interview on the spot. Then had 3 formal interviews, 2 with 2 mates each, and one with the Captain. Questions were pretty standard and I felt they were looking for a positive, hard working person.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite TJ's product? Why TJs? How would you describe your favorite product? Describe a situation when you dealt with a difficult customer. What does excellent customer service mean to you? Hobbies? What role in TJ's are you most excited about? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Describe what you think working as a Crew member would be like.   Answer Question

Mate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Marietta, GA) in October 2017.

Interview

Filled out application on site, was called in for interview with two mates and invited back for 3rd interview with captain. They focused on hiring personality, skills can be taught.
    I am scheduling last interview this week.

Interview Questions

• Name a product you like at Trader Joe's.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Boulder, CO) in September 2017.

Interview

First interview was about 45 minutes. I showed up 5 minutes before, and was told to talk around until he was ready to start. He found me 10 minutes later and we started the interview in a little outdoor closed off area. The Mate that interviewed me was extremely nice, very casual interview. One of the only interviews I felt comfortable actually talking about myself, so they are very personality driven. Scheduled a second interview for two days from then.

Interview Questions

• Favorite product?
      How would you describe your personality?
      Dream job?
      What would be your least/favorite part about the job?
      Have you ever gotten feedback from your past supervisors?
      How does your last job(s) reflect your abilities to work here?
      Strengths and weaknesses?
      Are you applying for other jobs?
      Just spoke about my work history   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Interview

It was relatively easy and informal. Trader Joe's is all about people interaction so if you are a good conversationalist it is pretty straight forward. I ended up asking almost as many questions about my interviewer as he asked of me because we were both transplants from California.