Trader Joe's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.3

Help Desk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Hr recruiter was so clueless during my phone interview. Asked me questions such as - why do i wanna work with them.

After the painful agony of the 30 minute phone interview she stated she would get back to me, but they never did.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

For the record~ Love Trader Joe's as a brand (think it's a great company) & obviously done my research figuring it's one of the top companies to work for...not to mention better than average pay. ;)

Anywho, onto the "interview" (or lack there of)...

After much extensive research (& the fact I really need a job), I figured I'd try my luck with a reputable company. I printed off the job application, my resumé & headed to my nearest store. I walked in & ended up actually speaking to a Captain at the front registers (talk about luck, lol). We briefly spoke, him asking what I liked about Trader Joe's & what not, kinda briefly went over the pay, etc. I gave him my application & resumé of which he seemed interested in. He said I should hear something back from them. Waited about a week, spoke with someone (who was really nice) & they said give it a little more time as the hiring manager was still going through the applications. Waited about 2 more weeks, gave another call and spoke with someone (also really nice) and they kinda mentioned that the hiring manager was now sick and was out/give it a little more time. Ended up calling in another two weeks because I'm like hey, it's been a month usually it shouldn't take this long right? Anyways, got someone who seemed a tad rude~ish & he basically said that the process normally does take this long & that I should either get a call or something in the mail. At this point I'm just thinking the worst & low and behold about a week later I got a letter in the mail, yada yada you didn't get the job essentially. As with another poster who posted earlier, I know that I too am not great with interviews. Not even considered for a In person interview-ouch. Their loss I suppose and into the next one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I had interview at the Trader Joe's on 200 E 32nd St.

I applied in-person. The Mates were very friendly and helped answer questions I had about the application.
    After the application was filled out, I had a very brief screening/on-the-spot interview, asking why I wanted to work at Trader Joes and what was my favorite Trader Joes product.
    (Since I had had no previous work experience, I was also asked about the work I did volunteering.)

Exactly a week later I received a call and scheduled an interview the next day.

For my 2nd interview I interviewed with another Mate. It took place in the stock room on the 3rd floor with no crew members present, so the atmosphere was relaxed.
    I was asked about previous work experience and some personality questions. I then took a turn asking questions.

Tip: The Mates are happy to answer questions, so be prepared with questions for your interview! It will also show interest from your part.

The interview lasted about 15 minutes. I thanked the interviewer and was lead out the stock room. I was told I would hear from Trader Joes in a few days.

Tip: If you plan to make a follow-up phone call after the interview, please, do not forget to ask for the interviewer's name/contact info!
    I made this mistake when I called Trader Joes a week after my interview. I called to ask about the status of the job position, and when I was asked to provide the interviewer's name, I panicked and said I wasn't sure. This made the phone call very awkward, and the mate said they follow up with me shortly. However I'm sure this killed my chances.

Regardless I had a very pleasant experience and, although still embarrassed about my blunder, will continue shopping at this location.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite Trader Joes product?   Answer Question
    • Name adjectives that your coworkers and supervisors would use to describe you.   Answer Question
    • What was your most favorite/least favorite part of your job/ work experience?   Answer Question
    • What do you think will be your most favorite/ least favorite position as a Crew Member? (Cashiering, stocking items, etc.)

Tip: Be familiar with Crew Member responsibilities in the job description.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

It was brief. Asked questions that allowed them to get to know me on a personal level. It was not a stiff atmosphere at all. The interview spoke to the company culture.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle pressure?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Boston, MA).

Interview

When I handed in my application, the store caption happened to be there, and he asked me a few questions on the spot. Then he scheduled an interview for a few days later, with a different store manager.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite Trader Joe's product?   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY).

Interview

It was very brief. I met with two mates and they asked me basic interview questions. It was very pleasant and overall and good experience. They told me they will get back to me in about two weeks. I am still waiting for the call and remaining hopeful.

FT Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Two interviews. Very friendly, good discourse, lively conversation, informative on each end. In an interview, both parties interview each other. I found this process with TJ's very relaxed, genuine and forthcoming. It was never awkward or uncomfortable. Our discussion flowed easily from one question or topic to the next.

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

My interview lasted approximately one hour and was very in-depth and engaging.

Because this was a job I was pursuing after a career job of over 30 years, I was naturally anxious about what I could offer the company, even more so than what they could offer me. But I was fortunate to get the opportunity and chose to just be myself and be clear and honest with my responses.

Interview Questions

• What kind of previous retail experience do you have?

Which of our products do you like best?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Brief since they were not currently hiring. Very nice Mate took my application and commented they were not currently looking to add staff right now. It has only been 5 days but they encouraged me to reapply after 30 days if I didn't get a call as they do not like to pass on talent. No offer yet.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product and how do you use it?   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2017.

Interview

Applied in person, filled out a form. I was scheduled for one interview. They then asked me to come back for a second interview. I found out I received the job two weeks later.