Trader Joe's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 20, 2017

2.3

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Arlington, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

The Mate's are all very nice and very encouraging. I went in during the holiday season so they were really looking for people to hire. The questions were easy, the staff was friendly and I loved the atmosphere. The application process is very old-fashioned, you go in and they take your application then give you a postcard with your interview date. Mine was two days after I arrived in person to present my application and resume. Interview was nice short and sweet.

Interview Questions

• What is your favourite product from Trader Joe's?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was pretty easy and relaxed. Overall it was a very basic interview. It wasn't too hard, and I actually had a good conversation with the interviewers. It was only about 30 minutes

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Arlington, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied intending to fill a night/weekend position while I care for my daughter during the day, which was made very clear at the beginning of the process.

Handed in a paper application. Received a phone call a week later. Two interviews of medium length about a week apart. The First interviewer an assistant manager, who was friendly and cordial, who immediately recommended me for a second interview.

I Was told this second interview was to be with the manager, or "captain." However, upon arriving for the second interview, I was given a bait and switch and told I'd be meeting yet another asst. manager, despite the fact that they conceded the manager was on premises.

The Second interviewer was much more hostile than the first, and attacked my experience (f which, for an entry level night job working just above minimum wage, seemed excessive and antagonistic) and my availability (which had not been an issue for during both the phone screening and the entire first interview).

I was then told I'd receive a call back within a few days and never did. I was very disappointed in the second interviewer's professional demeanor and the lack of a promised follow up.

Interview Questions

• "You don't have a lot of retail experience..."   1 Answer

Crew Member/Sign Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

I had a screening when I dropped off my resume in person, was called back for an interview, and then a final interview. Very friendly, like having a conversation with a friend, really wanted to know you. They are very interested in how you view good customer service and if you can work well with a team.

Interview Questions

• Why Trader Joes?
      What is your favorite product?
      How do feel about criticism?
      How do you have fun at work?
      Answer Question

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2016.

Interview

I walked in with my application and talked to a guy wearing a Hawaiian shirt. He asked me a couple of pre-screening questions – why I wanted to apply and what my favorite Trader Joe’s items were. Then he scheduled an interview a couple of days later. On the scheduled date I had two interviews back to back with two different mates. They were very friendly and asked questions such as how my previous coworkers would describe me, what motivates me, how would I have fun at work, and what customer service means to me. They wrote down my answers. Next week I came for an interview with the store captain. I described my experience and he asked mostly about my availability and whether my availability would change in the future if I got hired. At the end of the interview he said I should expect a phone call with the decision within two weeks. I got a phone call exactly after two weeks and I was told I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• 1. How would you react if your supervisor criticize you for your performance?   Answer Question
    • 2. Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY).

Interview

Submitted an application in person (its a written application). Got a call about scheduling an interview with a hiring manger (mate). Interviewed then interviewed again with another manager. Both interviews were relaxed- more like conversations. Then offered a position at the end of the second.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to resolve an interpersonal conflict   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Annapolis, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

The hiring process (so far) has been quick and enjoyable . I put in an application in-person, and was asked some questions on the spot . I got a call a week later to set up an interview. The interview was with two of the managers and was very easy and laid back.
    A couple days after that, I got a call for my second interview which was even more fun and easy-going. This interview was with another manager, who was very personable and easy to talk to. They said they would give me a call on that Sunday to let me know if I got the job or not . It is now Monday and I have not heard back, but I will be following up tomorrow.

Interview Questions

• What would your co-workers say about you ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

Called a few day days after handing in an application, met with two very professional managers. We discussed my interests, prior work history, and why I was applying to the store. The interview was very relaxed and personal.

Interview Questions

• What's quality customer service to you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silverdale, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Silverdale, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

I felt very confident with how both my interviews went, feel that I fit the "Trader Joe's" mold, am a college graduate, have years of retail experience, am a current shopper there, and am very knowledgable of their products and company. Both the assistant manager and the manager seemed receptive to me and I felt so sure that it went well. I eventually got the call from the manager that I was not selected for the job, but the guy had the nerve to express that he "hoped I would continue to shop and find new products at their store." Two days after the rejection, I found that the position had been re-posted on an online job board. Pretty frustrating experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your dream job? Explain what you know about the company, what is your favorite product here.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Secretive. Stage oriented. Highly filtered.
    I personally applied to five Trader Joe's and each and every one was different in staff vibe, store vibe, and interview vibe. Ultimately I was offered a job at my favorite of the locations and felt as though they were extremely positive and sweet in making me feel like they would be happy to have me on board when it was I who was excited. Very happy to be in TJ's.

Interview Questions

• Why Trader Joe's?
      What's your favorite product?
      Discuss a situation inwbhich you experienced conflict with a co-worker.
      1 Answer