Trader Joe's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Jan 14, 2018

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Clifton, NJ).

Interview

I went in and handed in my application and my resume. The manager and assistant manager were the nicest people I have ever met. They ask you some questions and tell you if they have a position for you they will let you know.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Sarasota, FL) in August 2017.

Interview

I turned in my application in person and had an immediate screening with a Mate. One month later I was called for an interview. I interviewed with the Captain and it seemed to go very well. She informed me that a Mate would be calling within a few days to set-up a second interview. Within a week I received a call and went back a few days later for an interview with two male Mates. I felt like one liked me and the other was annoyed and bored, but I really felt like I would be offered a position......I know I'm a good fit for Trader Joe's, a hard worker and a people person. However, I don't have recent job experience having been a stay-at-home mom for many years. Four days after the interview I was surprised to receive a form letter email and not a phone call. It thanked me for applying but said I would "not be interviewed at this time". What?? I had just completed two interviews. I called the store and was told the email meant I wasn't hired. Very unprofessional of them to not only not call after two interviews, but to send an email that didn't even apply to my situation. I then called back and asked to speak to one of the three people who had interviewed me. I was put on hold for a long time then was told one of the three would call me back. I never received a call. This experience has broken my TJ heart. They just aren't who I thought they were. I'm sad to have not been hired but much more upset that they treat potential employees (who are probably customers) this way. So disrespectful. Management at this store should be ashamed of themselves. They can't even stand-up and make the difficult phone call.

Interview Questions

• Why Trader Joe's? Favorite TJ product? What do you think it will be like working for TJ?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Got an interview for a store, but when I got to the interview he said they were fully staffed. Mate said he would personally call with any news instead of the generic letter in the mail or email. Didn't happen, got the generic email. Waste of my time.

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2017.

Interview

I talked to a shift manager in person. I was told that they were hiring right now. I gave my filled in application downloaded from the Trader Joe's website and some supportive materials. I was asked what brought me to apply at Trader Joe's? I was also asked what was my favorite product? I had looked up some of the questions they might potentially ask on Glass Door. This made the process much easier! I was prepared with several responses to each question. However, the manager seemed to give the impression that one short response was enough. The manager confirmed how many hours I was requesting. It seemed to go well. I was told to give it about two weeks, and they would get back to me either way. I am still waiting for a reply currently.

Interview Questions

• What brought you to apply at Trader Joe's?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of two parts- one with a mate (manager), and one with the captain (store manager). The first interview was just a personality screen, and secondary interview was more if the individual was fit for the role (i.e. customer service experience, how you would handle certain situations, etc). They are typically looking for long-term dedicated staff, and not interested in seasonal hiring.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product in the store?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Schaumburg, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

Initially dropped off an application.An employee took the application and said someone would get back to me within a week or two.Received an email about 10 days later,response-sorry we get more applications than available jobs.Applied a second time about a week later(received job alerts from Trader Joe's). Application was accepted and an interview day and time were arranged.The interview took place in the break room.The interview was conducted by a mate? and the captain.My perception was that the interview went well.Received a call the next day indicating that a third interview would not be offered.A surprise based on my 30+ years of retail experience and both my response and Trader Joe's response.

Interview Questions

• What are your favorite Trader Joe's products? What do you do for fun?What motivates you?   Answer Question

Crew Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Paramus, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

Handed in application at the "bridge" which they call their customer service kiosk pretty much. Was asked some questions on the spot. I think they were trying to get a feel for me. Then I had 2 more interviews with Mates (assistant managers) and then a final interview with the Captain (store manager). I got a call 2 days later with a job offer.

The interviews were there to pretty much get a sense of my personality, that's what I was getting at. So I think if anyone just acts positive and acts like themselves then they should pass all the interviews. Make sure to ask them questions at the end and don't be discouraged if you're not hired the first time you apply! I applied to Trader Joe's 6 other times the past 2 years before finally getting hired. It's hard and it's not easy predicting who they'll hire!

F/T Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2017.

Interview

It was a quick interview. Go prepared to answer a lot of questions about yourself as far as your personal hobbies and interests. I was interviewed by 2 people at the same time, 1 male 1 female. The woman was attentive and leading the interview. The guy just sat there, seemed bothered and a bit impatient which made me nervous. He asked a couple of questions but the way he worded them seemed like he was trying to figure out if I was being truthful about my past work. Something about him threw me off which looking back on it now I think it's why I wasn't offered the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Clifton, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

Physical application, 1 five minute interview, and 1 twenty minute interview. They ask about your previous work experience, why you want to work at Trader Joe's, what you would want to do. They really want you to love Trader Joe's. They ask some vague questions, I regret not asking for clarification for questions like "how do you deal with problem employees?"

Supposed to give a callback whether you get the job or not within 10 days, but I never did.

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2017.

Interview

It was a hiring event and there where a few people there with applications and doing pre screening interviews.Interviewers asked simple questions a bout prior expirience and the brand.Interviewers were really nicer and not super intimidating.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your favorite products from Trader Joes?   Answer Question