Trader Joe's Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Apr 17, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

fill out application, speak to managers, go to interview, sit and answer question. typical interview, no real difference in any other typical run of the mill interview. There really is not much to say, the management just sat and asked basic questions. There is no drug test, no aptitude test.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Brief since they were not currently hiring. Very nice Mate took my application and commented they were not currently looking to add staff right now. It has only been 5 days but they encouraged me to reapply after 30 days if I didn't get a call as they do not like to pass on talent. No offer yet.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product and how do you use it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by two Mates. It was eerily like a good cop/bad cop interrogation. I had the impression that they were doing their best to make me not want to work there.

Interview Questions

• They asked basic interview questions such as what my prior work experience was and what I expect from the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

Interview

Secretive. Stage oriented. Highly filtered.
    I personally applied to five Trader Joe's and each and every one was different in staff vibe, store vibe, and interview vibe. Ultimately I was offered a job at my favorite of the locations and felt as though they were extremely positive and sweet in making me feel like they would be happy to have me on board when it was I who was excited. Very happy to be in TJ's.

Interview Questions

• Why Trader Joe's?
      What's your favorite product?
      Discuss a situation inwbhich you experienced conflict with a co-worker.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Palmdale, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I walked in with my Application and Resume and told the man I would like to apply.He asked me two questions and then, he said he would submit my application and I should hear something in about 2-3 weeks. I shook his hand and thanked him for his time

Interview Questions

• He asked me 2 questions. 1: What is my favorite Trader Joe's Product and 2: Why do I want to work at Trader Joe's   1 Answer

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

There is a six step process first is completing your application and cover letter. Keep in mind that TJ's get thousands of applicants applying every day so you better WOW them or else you wont get a email. For the second step giving them more detail about your job history. The third step, If your lucky you get phone interview with a recruiter from corporate. Plan on doing all the talking because the recruiter doesn't say much. This is a good time to pump up your job experience and WOW them with your abilities. I did just that because the next day I received and email saying that I have an face to face with a Store Captain, This interview was very light and conversational. In fact, I thought I nailed it!!!! I walked out of there feeling that I will definitely get to the next step with another Store Captain. With the years of leadership and Grocery experience this is a slam dunk. Well I guess I was wrong. about three hours after the interview I received a call from the recruiter saying that they are going to pursue other candidates. I was flabbergasted I couldn't believe what the recruiter was saying such BS!!!! well I thanked the recruiter for the opportunity and asked her for some feedback. She replied that she gets so many applicants that they are looking for more qualified candidates. What a complete wast of time and I cant believe they are passing me up with so much quality experience, I don't get it!!

Interview Questions

• Tell a a time when you had to do something that you didn't agree with? Describe your leadership style? What is the first thing you do when you walk in the building?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Irvine, CA).

Interview

It's a two interview process. The first interview is generally with a store Mate (mid-level manager), while the followup interview is with the Captain (store manager). Both were roughly 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What do you see yourself doing in 5 years? (they ask this because they want employees that will be loyal and stay with the company. It's far more costly to hire and train someone new than it is to keep an old employee. They don't want to hire and train someone only to have them leave a couple of months later).   1 Answer

Crew Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Manhattan Beach, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

must know products and company values, why you want to work for them. must have a friendly personality and charisma. know what you want to do in five years and ten years.

Interview Questions

• what's your favorite product   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Clemente, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I first walked in to the store and delivered my application to a Mate, he asked a couple questions about why I wanted to apply, then he said that they would review my application and call me to let me know whether if the process would go further or not, he also gave me a contact card and advised me to call him if i had any questions.
    Two days later I received a call from one of the store manager to set up an interview, the interview happened the next day and it was with 2 store managers, they were both very friendly and professional. After concluding this interview, I was told I'd be called back again whether to continue the interview process or to be told it wouldn't go any further.
    I received a third call a couple days later to set up a third and final interview with 2 other store managers and 1 day later I got a call saying that they'd like to include me in their team.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a frustrated customer?
      What would you say if a customer is looking for a seasonal product that is currently out until next year?
      What experience do you have?
      Are you okay with working weekends and either coming in at 4 or leaving at 10?
      Are you okay with doing a job that can get pretty physically challenging (lifting boxes, pulling carts, etc)?
      Answer Question

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Brea, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied on-line. I did not get a response for 2.5 weeks. I was scheduled for a phone interview with their recruitor a week later. After the initial phone interview, I was contacted another week later to be scheduled for my first face to face interview at one of their stores, I met with the Store Manager/Captain. I really made a connection and thought the interview went really well especially when I was scheduled for a 2nd face to face interivew. After the first face to face interview, I was contacted another week later to be scheduled for a 2nd interview two weeks later with another Store Manager/Captain. During my 2nd interview, the Captain asked me the exact same questions as my 1st. I was very well prepared and was confident. Both Captains and I came away with a good feeling and great connection as to how I will be able to contribute to the company. After my 2nd face to face interiew, I was contacted a week later that they decided to go with another candidate. They did not provide any feedback. It was a very long process to go through to be passed on.