Trader Joe's Mate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Mate Interview Questions

Interviews at Trader Joe's

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Princeton, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

I was promoted internally from Crew Member to Mate. I had to go through 3 interviews after being selected by my captain for the promotion and the interview process took several months.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were dealing with a tenured crew member who has a poor attitude and appears disengaged in their work.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Costa Mesa, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Light interview process. The manager wasn't available so a mate interviewed me. He asked me where I lived, if I would drive to Mission Viejo from Costa Mesa and I said yes

Interview Questions

• What hours are you available?   1 Answer
    • Our operations work 4Am-10pm are you ok with this   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jenkintown, PA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Jenkintown, PA) in December 2018.

Interview

They took me to the office, and asked me a few questions about dealing with problem customers. Lots of questions about availability, which, in my case is very limited. This did not bode well! Very friendly managers, really a great store.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an irate customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Marietta, GA) in October 2017.

Interview

Filled out application on site, was called in for interview with two mates and invited back for 3rd interview with captain. They focused on hiring personality, skills can be taught.
    I am scheduling last interview this week.

Interview Questions

• Name a product you like at Trader Joe's.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Lengthy, thorough, impressive. The BEST at and COMMITTED to finding the right person for the job. Do NOT apply with Trader Joe's unless you truly want to be part of the culture!

Interview Questions

• What is one thing that you could do to be a better person?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Jacksonville, FL) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview was a free flowing conversation designed to get to know the personality of the individual. It focused on customer experience rather than skill set. As they don't have offices it was conducted in the backroom, which was a little odd for a management interview. However it was an easy interview and the interviewer was easy to talk to and offered great input into the company and position.

Interview Questions

• Do you hire for personality or skills?   1 Answer

Mate Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

First, I was invited by a member of HR to a phone interview. After completing that, about a week later, I had an interview with the Regional Manager and a Captain. A few days later, I was asked to complete a background check questionnaire. Two weeks later, I was made an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Very casual. It was on three upside-down buckets in the back of the store with two store managers from two other Trader Joe's locations. We talked about food, other managers and what I would do to be a leader as a Mate.

Mate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

After applying on the TJ website, I received a phone interview with the HR/recruiter handling the position. After this was an in person interview with a veteran Captain (store manager). After receiving good feedback on that one, they set me up with another Captain, and then an interview with the VP for the area I was interviewing for. Everyone I interacted with throughout the process was very friendly and they really seemed to encompass the kind of person I imagined would work at TJ's. The entire process took months but I was expecting that being in a competitive market. Overall I was impressed with the HR person's communication throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Trader Joe's?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Newark, NJ) in June 2014.

Interview

Very in depth interview. 3 in person interviews with up to 3 interviewers at a time, 1 phone interview. In total over 7 hours of interviews over a 3 month period before being offered a position. Havent been on any interviews in over 20 years but this was certainly a long interview process.