Trader Joe's Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 18, 2017

2.2

95 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

i printed out an application, filled it out, dropped it off at the store and was scheduled for an interview right there in person. i went to the interview a week after and it was really easy going and non stressful interview. told me they would call me within 2 weeks. still waiting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Short. Felt good for the most part. However, for a place that is looking energetic people my interviewer was very, very laid back. He was more interested in my last job than he was into me as a person and a possible employee at Trader Joe's. He also only asked me one question pertaining to Trader Joe's.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's?   1 Answer
    • Did I need special credentials for my last job?   1 Answer
    • Was there ever a time I had to deal with some one difficult from my last job?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions?   1 Answer

F/T Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I dropped by and filled out their written application and handed it to the Mate.
    He was very nice and gave me his business card and said they would reach out soon.
    I received a call to come into interview approx 2 weeks later. I arrived 20 min early and and checked in with the Leadership desk. I waited and was greeted by a Crew member that lead me to a warehouse area 3 floors above..
    3 folding chair set up, 2 facing 1.
    Another crew member joined us.
    I thought the conversation with these two very nice and cordial individuals went really well..
    Walked away feeling really confidant.
    I received a letter saying I was not chosen and that they were thrilled I was interested and they hope I will continue to shop there.
    I wish I would have at least gotten feedback as to why I wasn’t chosen instead..
    All I can imagine is that I’m over qualified, or my age has something to do with it...
    I shopped today at Trader Joe’s, I did not see any employee with a smile or any customer engagement throughout the store..
    My check out experience was basically Blah, no smile or Good Morning. I looked around and still did not see one smile amongst any of the cashiers.
    He said Paper or Plastic bags?
    I said paper..
    After all the research I did and my excitement I had about this company, I realized none of these employees are engaged..
    Employee engagement with customers are the key in WOW..
    It’s great to have a valuable product.
    If the experience is just ‘Blah’ when you go there, than you are not offering Good Customer Service..
    Just my take on it!

Application

Interview

I applied online and was sent an email that stated "I am writing to set up a time for the next step in our interview process. I apologize for the short time frame..." It was very short notice but I immedately replied and set up a time. When I arrived at the Chelsea store, I saw about 4 other people filling out an application. Since I already had mine, the interviewer and I went to the side, took a seat and she started interviewing me. In all honesty, I thought the interview went well. I answered all her questions clearly, I was personable and even tried to engage the interviewer. In the past, I have interviewed for Trader Joes and after I always felt like I could of did better with the interview but this time, I was confident that I would be offered a position or an interview with the captain.

The interviewer at the end even looked over my schedule and I was hopeful. However, a few days later, I received an email that said "I would not be moving forward in the interview process" The next step would have been to speak with the store captain which I desperately wish I could have done. I don't think it's fair for candidates to only speak to a hiring manager and have them make the choice. I believe the captain should also speak with the candidates because they have the final say. I was really discouraged when I recieved the email. I've always had a respect for Trader Joes and I know I would have been a great team-member but now I don't believe I will apply for Trader Joes again because it's obvious they have a "personal criteria" in hiring employees.

A few days later I called the Chelsea store out of curiousity and asked if I could speak to the store captain. I was told by the manager (mate) that he wasn't in. I asked when he would be and called again on the day where I was told the same thing again. Finally, I ended up explaining the situation to the mate since it was apparent I would never get to speak to the captain. He told me to call the 72nd street store since they deal with who gets hired and gave me three people I could speak too. I called the store and ended up speaking to a hiring manager, she said if I wasn't selected, I just wasn't the right fit but she was extremely cold which surprised me since this is Trader Joes. When we finally hung up, I decided it's probably not worth applying in the future despite the fact that I've been trying for years, I obviously don't have the factor that they are looking for despite being college educated, friendly, hardworking and dependable. I even told the manager during my interview that my schedule is flexible "depending on the store's needs" so if that isn't dedication to the store, I don't know what is.

By the way, the short time frame email is done purposefully. A relative of mine applied the next week and they also sent her the same email the day before the interview "apologizing for the short time frame" when booking the interview which is pretty inconvienent to those who work or go to school.

Anonymous Employee in Hewlett, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Hewlett, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

turn in your application in person. then have the 1st interview and then a second. Since I was applying for the artistic ability position I also had to recreate a store item tag.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is your favorite meal to make in a perfect world?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Clifton, NJ).

Interview

I went in and handed in my application and my resume. The manager and assistant manager were the nicest people I have ever met. They ask you some questions and tell you if they have a position for you they will let you know.

Crew Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Paramus, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

Handed in application at the "bridge" which they call their customer service kiosk pretty much. Was asked some questions on the spot. I think they were trying to get a feel for me. Then I had 2 more interviews with Mates (assistant managers) and then a final interview with the Captain (store manager). I got a call 2 days later with a job offer.

The interviews were there to pretty much get a sense of my personality, that's what I was getting at. So I think if anyone just acts positive and acts like themselves then they should pass all the interviews. Make sure to ask them questions at the end and don't be discouraged if you're not hired the first time you apply! I applied to Trader Joe's 6 other times the past 2 years before finally getting hired. It's hard and it's not easy predicting who they'll hire!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Clifton, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

Physical application, 1 five minute interview, and 1 twenty minute interview. They ask about your previous work experience, why you want to work at Trader Joe's, what you would want to do. They really want you to love Trader Joe's. They ask some vague questions, I regret not asking for clarification for questions like "how do you deal with problem employees?"

Supposed to give a callback whether you get the job or not within 10 days, but I never did.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online to the Trader Joe's website in May 2017. I also went in person to a particular store to give my application. I got an email from the store I visited in person saying I wasn't hired, but in fairness, they did tell me that particular store wasn't looking to hire at the time, but would pass my resume along to other hiring stores. I thought I wouldn't hear back from them again, but recently, I got an email about a Trader Joe's hiring fair happening during the weekend, and of course, I attended. It was happening one day only, and you could come by with your resume and interview on the spot. I interviewed with a Mate (manager) and the interview seemed to go very well. There was a list of written down questions to answer and they took notes as I answered then. I was asked to stick around and interview with another Mate who had another set of questions to ask me. I apparently did pretty well, because the following day I got a call with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time at work where you had to deal with a difficult customer?

Name a time where you were asked to do something at work that made you uncomfortable?

At your last job, what was the process of evaluation for employees?

Are you comfortable doing physical work?

Name a time in your life, whether personal or professional, where you had to address a need no one else was meeting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Job fair, pre-screening interview on site. I already have my application and my resume ready so I didn't have to wait long-totally laid back and interviewed was really nice