Trader Joe's Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.3

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Paramus, NJ).

Interview

I went through about 2-3 interviews. (They are very thorough). The interview itself isn't that serious...they take you to a secluded part of the store (away from customers) like where their inventory is. Sometimes you have to wait a min or two so they tell you roam around the store. The interview was one on one. I filled out an application and then they scheduled the interview

Interview Questions

• Have you been to Trader Joe's before? What do you know about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Their interview process was a phone call first then in a week a phone call or email.the employer asked basic questions. The employer then asked me if I had any questions about them and I asked what were their shifts like.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I had interview at the Trader Joe's on 200 E 32nd St.

I applied in-person. The Mates were very friendly and helped answer questions I had about the application.
    After the application was filled out, I had a very brief screening/on-the-spot interview, asking why I wanted to work at Trader Joes and what was my favorite Trader Joes product.
    (Since I had had no previous work experience, I was also asked about the work I did volunteering.)

Exactly a week later I received a call and scheduled an interview the next day.

For my 2nd interview I interviewed with another Mate. It took place in the stock room on the 3rd floor with no crew members present, so the atmosphere was relaxed.
    I was asked about previous work experience and some personality questions. I then took a turn asking questions.

Tip: The Mates are happy to answer questions, so be prepared with questions for your interview! It will also show interest from your part.

The interview lasted about 15 minutes. I thanked the interviewer and was lead out the stock room. I was told I would hear from Trader Joes in a few days.

Tip: If you plan to make a follow-up phone call after the interview, please, do not forget to ask for the interviewer's name/contact info!
    I made this mistake when I called Trader Joes a week after my interview. I called to ask about the status of the job position, and when I was asked to provide the interviewer's name, I panicked and said I wasn't sure. This made the phone call very awkward, and the mate said they follow up with me shortly. However I'm sure this killed my chances.

Regardless I had a very pleasant experience and, although still embarrassed about my blunder, will continue shopping at this location.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite Trader Joes product?   Answer Question
    • Name adjectives that your coworkers and supervisors would use to describe you.   Answer Question
    • What was your most favorite/least favorite part of your job/ work experience?   Answer Question
    • What do you think will be your most favorite/ least favorite position as a Crew Member? (Cashiering, stocking items, etc.)

Tip: Be familiar with Crew Member responsibilities in the job description.
      Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY).

Interview

It was very brief. I met with two mates and they asked me basic interview questions. It was very pleasant and overall and good experience. They told me they will get back to me in about two weeks. I am still waiting for the call and remaining hopeful.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY).

Interview

Walked in with my application and they do a screening while you're there. They scheduled an interview for another time right after the screening. And another after that. Meeting with the captain and managers

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I told the captain how much I was looking to make and she told me that they'd look into making it work and they made it work

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY).

Interview

Submitted an application in person (its a written application). Got a call about scheduling an interview with a hiring manger (mate). Interviewed then interviewed again with another manager. Both interviews were relaxed- more like conversations. Then offered a position at the end of the second.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to resolve an interpersonal conflict   Answer Question

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY).

Interview

Went in store and got an application, filled it out and handed it in. Got the interview set up the next week and came in early. The lady that interviewed me, right off the bat, didn't like me for some reason. made me feel really awkward and uncomfortably stared at me longer than needed. was not offered the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you have fun at work?   1 Answer

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I handed in my application to my local trader joes. The mate asked few questions and a week later I got an interview. The interview was chilled, the mate told me we will contact you within a week letting you know if you made it to the second interview. A week passed and no response so I went to the store and told me to wait one more week, so I did and no call, so I called the store and they told me I didn't make it.

Anonymous Employee in Staten Island, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Staten Island, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview is conducted in three stages -- an on the spot, a primary and a secondary. The on the spot is a screening question to assess your preparedness (i.e. commitment level), and to get a rough feel for your personality. It is usually only one or two questions. The primary interview is conducted with one of the managers, and will focus on assessing your experience, your competence with customers, and your fit with the overall values of the company. If your interview shows promise, you will be asked back for a second interview with a different manager, and they will ask another round of questions that build on the former interview. You will then be contacted with either an offer or a moratorium of three months after which you may apply again.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had an unhappy customer, and what you did to improve their experience   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I've applied to several different Trader Joe's in the past year and I seem to be unfit for all of them. I don't know if it's my lack of grocery shop/retail experience or just the fact that I plain out SUCK at interviews but it's hard. I feel like they judge you the minute they see you. I am honestly a sweetheart and going into all three interviews, I felt like they were looking me up and down and not caring about the words that come out of my mouth. They seem to make up their minds the minute they see you. I was really looking forward to working with the company because I love their products and wanted to grow my career with them but seems like I don't fit the type.

November 2015 (NY,NY): 1st interview went great! I felt like the mate really liked me and said that she would love to see me working with the company. Then when I went for the 2nd interview, I waited FOR AN HOUR. When they finally arrived, they brought me to the back of house where 4 or 5 crew members were folding boxes. I was heavily distracted by the raucous and couldn't concentrate. When the two mates asked me questions, they seemed so distracted too! They weren't listening to me, they asked me two questions and then said thank you for applying and told me to leave. Honestly, one of the mates asked what school I was currently attending and I said I was going to a GED program and two seconds later he was like "Columbia University? That's so cool! What's your major?" ????????? I obviously didn't get the job.

May 2016 (Rego Park, NY): I went in for an interview with two mates. They asked me all of the questions on the questionnaire and they seemed to really enjoy talking to me! I really thought that I got the job because they were so sweet. They didn't even call me after two weeks like they said they would. They sent out a mail to my house apologizing that I didn't get the job.

June 2016 (NY, NY): I went in for an interview at a new store and since the store wasn't open, we had to go to a diner next door. That kind of made extra nervous because I've never been to interviews as such. I wasn't the greatest during the interview and they said they'd call by Monday (today) so we'll see if I got it. I don't think I did, since I wasn't the greatest. The interviewees were sweethearts though!

Interview Questions

• What motivates you?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a difficult time at your old job ad how did you resolve it.   1 Answer
    • Did you ever become close with a customer at your old job?   1 Answer
    • How was your old job like? What were your responsibilities?   1 Answer
    • What would your old co-workers/supervisor say about you?   1 Answer