TransMarket Group Relative Value Arbitrage Trader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TransMarket Group Relative Value Arbitrage Trader Interview Questions

Interviews at TransMarket Group

3.6

Relative Value Arbitrage Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransMarket Group.

Interview

1st round interview: about 30 minutes. Interviewer called me 40 minutes late, so was caught off guard. Went straight into math questions, nothing behavioral. They assigned reading up on basics of derivatives (about 100 pages, very math-oriented), but only 1 question was asked on derivatives. Overall, strange interview.

Interview Questions

• If you have a 125cm^3 cube of ice melting at 8cm^3/min, what is the change in surface area per min?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for TransMarket Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TransMarket Group (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Four rounds- the first was essentially math/ very basic finance questions, the second was very technical finance questions, the third was character, the fourth was meeting everyone. The traders who interviewed me were all very nice, very willing to explain when I got answers wrong or help me out when I was stuck. Second round was by far the most difficult- I was sure that I didn't make it to the next round but apparently I made the cut.

Interview Questions

• Why does volatility smile/skew?

What is the difference between a futures contract and a forward contract? How will this cause the prices to be different (e.g. last gold ED)? If you are long a FRA and short a ED future with the same fixing dates, do you have positive convexity or negative convexity?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransMarket Group (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

There was a multi round interview process conducted over the phone by different people. The questions asked were a mix of basic calculus, probability, and fit for the first round interview. The second round consisted of more fit questions and a series of questions of escalating difficulties on derivatives and greeks. Example questions were given ahead of time to prepare and a text was recommended to study off of.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you have bought a July ITM call and sold an August ATM put.
      What would be your delta in this position? Once you hedged out your delta what are the following greeks:

-Gamma
      -Vega
      -Rho
      -Theta   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TransMarket Group (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

two rounds of quantitative interviews: first round mainly mathematical and statistics, second round more financial economic questions. The third round is a fit interview, and the fourth is an on-site interview in Chicago.

All the interviewers seemed cool. The process didnt seem like it was going anywhere for a while though. My advice would be to speak naturally with the interviewers and have an opinion on financial markets. They seem to like people they could get along with.

Interview Questions

• I flip two coins, What are the chances of there being one 5?
      Questions from Options, futures and derivatives   Answer Question

Relative Value Arbitrage Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransMarket Group in June 2015.

Interview

I only did the first round phone based screen. The interview consisted mainly of math based puzzle questions and a couple questions about basic finance and derivatives. They also sent over some study materials a few days before the interview to help prepare. Be sure to review financial statistics, as most of the puzzle questions and finance questions were related to statistics.

Interview Questions

• If the stop light changes every three seconds, what is the percent of time spent waiting at the light?   Answer Question

Relative Value Arbitrage Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at TransMarket Group in November 2014.

Interview

Two phone interviews - dinged after the second interview when I couldn't answer the brain teasers very well. First interview was pretty behavioral, asking me about my failures, successes, character, morals, etc. and some basics on trading ideas. Second interview was very technical and included 3 brain teasers, which for some reason is indicative of how good of a trader you will make?

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest character flaw?
      How do you form your morals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TransMarket Group (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

A couple of phone interview rounds:

1. Math & proba & basic finance (greeks) questions, as provided on other posts
    2. More technical finance questions, some sample questions are provided 10 days in advance
    3. Pure fit

Then if you pass you go to the office and meet the traders, for some fit questions mostly

Interview Questions

• 2 calls are ATM, on the same underlying. one expires in June, the other in August. Which one has the greater Gamma?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransMarket Group (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Whole process includes four rounds of interview, two rounds of phone interviews of technical questions, one round of phone interview of fit questions, one round of on-site interview.
    The first round asked about projects on resume, several easy probability questions, several option pricing questions, and some questions about market information.
    The second round asked about sample questions that were sent to me before interview. The questions were about forwards, futures and options. Didn't do well in this part, wasn't familiar with futures market. Thus failed this round.
    The first interviewer was nice and willing to introduce about the position and his work.

Interview Questions

• What's the rho of European call and put option?   1 Answer
    • What do you think about the influence of the decreasing oil price over American economy? Open question.   Answer Question
    • Long a forward, short a Eurodollar futures, do you get a positive or negative convexity?   Answer Question
    • What's the theoretic limit for a contango? What about backwardation?   Answer Question
    • What market characteristics are most advantageous to the owner of a storage facility?   Answer Question

Relative Value Arbitrage Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransMarket Group in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online. 1st round phone interview. The interview was laid back and helped when I was stuck. He asked questions on calc, stat, futures and options. Then talked about my resume. Why I wanted the job, what skills I could apply from my resume that I can apply to trading. Then I asked him questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the rate of change of an area of a circle that its radius is expanding at 2ft per second for 5 seconds?   2 Answers
    • Given a 1 hour time period, there is a 75% chance you see a shooting star. What is the chance you see it in a 30 min time period?   2 Answers
    • What is more valuable a put priced at $50 or $60?   2 Answers

Relative Value Arbitrage Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TransMarket Group in February 2015.

Interview

I have just done the first round, the interviewer at first asked some question regarding my resume and about the job, after some minutes he told me he would have asked me some probability and calcolus questions. The questions were relatively easy if you are familiar with basic probability, the interviewer talked slowly while he was explaining the question so it was easy to follow him. After one day i received the mail saying i would have had a round two soon. We'll see