TransMarket Group Trading Logic Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at TransMarket Group

4.7

Trade Logic Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransMarket Group (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

applied on OCR, and got a trader emailed me. First round is coding test in C++ and java, cost me around 6 hours. Second round was a test in finance problems such as vol smile. But the guy I was contacting kept missing my emails so I didnt even receive the test for round two.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TransMarket Group

Trade Logic Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at TransMarket Group (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

TMG seems like a great place to work. The interview process is thorough and challenging. I had a 20-hour programming test consisting of 8 small programs to write, and one large program to write. Some parts were more challenging than others but the programming was a lot of fun (if you're a programmer). Then I had a 10 hour written finance test. It wasn't terribly challenging (if you've taken a course that covers Hull's book - Options, Futures and other Derivatives, aka, the Derivatives Bible you'll be fine). Then about 3 rounds of phone interviews. One round was just personality fit, another reviewing answers to the finance written test, and another with statistics questions. After all of that they flew me out to Chicago.

I went to dinner with two trade logic developers and had a great time - they seemed like great guys who really enjoyed their work. The next day was the in-person interview which took about 6-7 hours and I interviewed with about 10 different people - everyone from management to trade logic to traders. The questions were mostly programming and statistics related, with a few of them asking finance questions. The hardest part for me was the programming questions - which were extremely technical and C++ oriented - so know your C++ at an expert level. I got tripped up on some of the very technical C++ stuff (that I should have known but was a bit rusty at, at the time). Most of the interviewers were very pleasant and helped work through anything I struggled with - they're looking for correct answers and how you got to those answers.

The unfortunate part of the process came after the interviews. Multiple emails sent over the course of weeks went un-responded. The lack of professionalism in HR was disappointing. Finally I received an apology for the lack of responses that said I was still in the running and that because they are a small firm a decision would take longer. I thanked them and waited for a response - which never came. While the company seems like a great place to work, it is made up of a lot of young people - which explains the lack of courtesy and professionalism. That being said the interview process was challenging and helped me in my other interviews with competing firms.

My best advice is to be an expert on basic probability and statistics, have a deep and broad knowledge of financial derivatives, and especially have an expert knowledge of C++ (including things that the compiler does at compile time - things that happen in the background without you knowing). All in all it seems like a great place to work. The people there are very friendly and accommodating for the most part, just be warned that if you don't get picked you likely wont receive the professional courtesy of an email telling you so - they'll just leave you hanging indefinitely.

Interview Questions

• If I write an empty class in C++ (a class with no functions or variables), can I do the following:

EmptyClass a = new EmptyClass();
      EmptyClass b = a;   1 Answer
    • Why would I want to use a ScopeLock in a multi-threaded application instead of the standard:

Mutex m;

m.lock();
      doSomething();
      m.unlock();   1 Answer

Trading Logic Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransMarket Group.

Interview

Got called for an interview. Which was one of the weirdest interviews I have ever had. Because of the language barrier we had a really hard to understand one another. (Given English is my native language). After trying to communicate a bit we started with the questions.

1)If the volume of a cube is decreasing at 8 cm3 per second, given the volume is 125, at what rate the surface area decreasing.
    After understanding the question (took me a few mins). I did dV/dt = 8; dV/ds = 3 s^2; dA/ds = 12s; then did (dV/dt)/(dA/dt) = (dV/ds)/(dA/ds) .I did it wrong and said 24 but then I said 6.4 cm^2. Which I thought was correct but the interviewer said the rate of changes are equal (dA/dt) =8. Which still doesn't make sense but maybe I am wrong.
    2) later on I was asked to take the 1000th power of a 2x2 matrix, where the sum of each individual row is greater than 1. I said the value needs to converge, but since the sum of a row is larger than one, from markov chains I know the value will explode. He told me I was wrong and asked me if I can prove convergence. I suggested using eigenvectors to get the 1000th power, which was apparently what he wanted. Then I said I don't remember the methodology as I did it years back, still the values need to explode. He said it is wrong. Matlab says all elements go to infinity trying after the interview.
    3)The final question, was actually hard. given 2 uniform independet rv (0,1) what is the prob that U1^2 - 4U2 < 0 . I had a hard time thinking the distribution of a uniform squared and due to frustration I gave up. (This is actually a simple problem if you have a piece of paper and a little time since it is a double integration, just hard to think over the phone).

I asked him what was unique about the company that separates them from competitors. His answer was teamwork. I was dumbfounded, I asked if there was anything really interesting he found about the company he found out after joining that he wished he knew before hand. He said NO. Frustrating...

Interview Questions

• given 2 uniform independet rv what is the prob that U1^2 - 4U2 &lt; 0 .   2 Answers