Transamerica Help Desk Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Transamerica

3.5

Help Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Transamerica (Cedar Rapids, IA) in September 2015.

Interview

VERY IMPORTANT: Transamerica uses the Behavioral Interview format for the bulk of the interview, so prepare your "stories" according to each behavioral trait ahead of time, so I advise getting acquainted with that style of interview. My Recruiter who has liased with them for five years prepared me for this probability two days beforehand. I spent the next day combing my memory for real-life examples from my extensive career in IT (I know, I know ... but one grows weary of the sentences of "You're OVERQUALIFIED!", instability and lull periods of "chasing the contract"), matching each to the appropriate behavioral trait, ensuring it followed the "sense" of what was being sought after and put together (IMHO) a fairly decent multipart small mosaic of my conflict handling over the years. Googing "Behavioral Interview" with certain additional "weeding" terms will get you quite a few even NON-commercial sites that list these traits and example questions and answers
-Meet the Hiring Comittee. Ensure to shake each one's hand, returning own name for each of theirs given.
-"Tell us about yourself" : Stick to Professional context, not Personal, and don't make anything HR-off-limits slips
-Recite (not read) your CV/resume from memory, summarizing even further than written, until one of the HC says to stop
-Commence' le Behavioral Interview : Each member of HC lists key points of individual traits, and one probing question, to which you apply your personal experience applicable to that trait. Rinse/Lather/Repeat, the only difference being the new trait definition and probing question.
Again, it cannot be stressed enough : PREPARATION beforehand is the key to survival of the BI. "Scrambling", "uh's, erm's and ah's" are the best way for the BI to be cut short, resulting in "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You" ... NOT! Btw, I survived the entire BI.
-The HI moved on to questions concerning Basic Troubleshooting Technique, and "How do you walk them through possible remedial action?", one concerning Caller reports a monitor has gone blackout (check power and hardware connections, then test to see if went into Sleep Mode), the other being MS Word shuts down immediately on launch (don't forget the probability of corrupt "normal.dot" template file, remediated by renaming or deleting, then relaunching Word, which will create new "normal.dot")
-"Do you have any questions of us?" . Again, be prepared with at least two pertinent questions concerning the prospective position, to show genuine interest in what value you present to their hiring you. I asked about the Management systems for real-time Client/Computer profile at time of call, e.g., what does the Help Desk Analyst have on their side at time of call? Other question was availability of professional growth resources, e.g., online training, certification, the latter of which allowed me to slip in that years ago I had taken advantage of corporate-paid Microsoft certification testing fees, getting my MCSE that way (though there seems to be less and lesser call for NT 4.0 and IIS4 administration these days).
-HC signaled interview wrap-up in orderly manner, shook hands with me, with one designated to walk me (and my Recruiter, who had been in attendance entire time), the others peeling off to respective worksites, lunch, whatever. Returned badge(s), shook hands in exit with Designate, and Recruiter and I exited complex.

Interview Questions

• Caller reports Monitor/Display blacked out; How do you troubleshoot?
    Microsoft Word fails to launch;How do you troubleshoot?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Transamerica

Help Desk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Transamerica.

Interview

The position was brought to my attention from a third party staffing agency. They were interested in my experience, so they brought be in for a panel interview with several managers and they bombard you with questions to see how you respond to stress. The staffing agency did a good job of preparing me for their questions though.