TransferWise Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TransferWise Interview Questions

Updated Nov 13, 2018

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise in January 2016.

Interview

Completed their developer challenge and received an email offering an interview. A few preliminary questions via email. Scheduled a phone interview. The recruiter didn't call me, and didn't respond to my email asking why they missed the scheduled interview. I am not sure what happened, but after scheduling the interview, there is no reason to not show up.

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise in July 2018.

Interview

Applied online, received an email to schedule an interview within a week. I interviewed with a member of the operations team and a leader Skyping from Estonia. Then there was a logic test and after a week approximately I heard back that they will proceed with other candidates. For the logics-test part of my interview. I was given a malfunctioning calculator by the team member on site and had to use the default calculator that comes with all PCs. Of course, the calculator situation, took additional time to complete the logic-test. I communicated this to the team member in charge, who did not provide an alternative. The situation wasn't informed to the hiring manager and they made a decision not knowing all facts.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

Very unprofessional and negative company.

Applied online and received an interview invite within a week. The recruiter himself even added me on LinkedIn even though he works in a different country. The interview invite was sent to me by this recruiter but the interview was scheduled and confirmed by someone else and for me to speak with the recruiter, which was weird. Later due to an unforeseen bad health condition I had to email them to reschedule the interview the day before the interview. Since then no matter however I followed up I never received any response from them. I emailed both people in a timely manner and even messaged them on LinkedIn. LinkedIn shows the recruiter has read my message but they never responded as if they just disappeared from the Earth.

This experience tells me they were NEVER genuinely interested in my qualifications as a specific candidate, they only cared about having the position filled ASAP no matter who takes it. And they don't care what their applicants think or feel.

This kind of unprofessional behavior is what makes them look bad and go backwards.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TransferWise (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

Applied on the company website. Several days after the application, HR lady of the company emailed me to arrange my first interview. The interview with the country manager was taken place via skype .

Interview Questions

• Understanding of the operation which I am currently doing.   Answer Question

Growth Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

I had a telephonic first interview... questions were okay, usual-past experience, education.
    The hardest question- why Transferwise and not other startups.
    The weirdest question- 'I m not sure you can work here if you've worked in academic research before.' (If you are hiring freshers who you know have work experience as a graduate research assistant, why even bother to call?)
    The weirdest thing was- the person taking the call was very clearly working on a computer and hardly listening to the answers. Seemed pretty disinterested.
    Too bad. I thought they did interesting work.
    For future growth analyst candidates- keep it short and don't venture into explaining much and ALWAYS ask if it is a good time to talk- because it might not.

Interview Questions

• The hardest question- why Transferwise and not other startups.   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

Initially the interview went smoothly with me being able to chat with a designer on the current team and then doing a design exercise — standard fare. What happened next was a total drop-off in communication. I never received actual feedback on the design exercise and my emails would be responded to 2-3 weeks later by the global product, design and analyst recruiter, saying he was on summerdays and/or promising to get back to me with no result. After 2.5 months of sporadic back-and-forth, I was finally ghosted by him.

Out of all the companies I interviewed with, this was by far the worst interview experience I've ever had — which is unfortunate because it looks to be a great company w/ a great product.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Budapest, MO) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process has several steps.
    First, there was a phone interview with the HR assistant. We were talking about the position, my experiences, my motivation. It was very useful, and after that, I get an immediate feedback.
    An online test followed on hackerrank. It was interesting, with a lot of different questions, but not so complicated. I liked it.
    Next round was a Google hangouts meeting with 2 lead developers. We were talking about the product, the technical challenges, and I was also challenged by an online coding task. They were kind and open, and I could ask questions also.
    Again I got a feedback very soon (after about an hour) that I can proceed to the next step with a product manager. For that, I got a detailed description of the objective and the potential questions, which was really useful.
    The interviewer was friendly, the questions and topics were challenging.
    I got a positive feedback again very soon.
    Last round was planned to be with the VP of Engineering and one of the co-founders. Unfortunately we could not find a proper time that would fit for all. Finally I was talking to the VP and one of the lead developers.
    We were talking about the motivation and there were a lot of technical and architectural questions.
    This did not work out as much as I expected, so finally the process has finished at this point, my application was rejected:(

Anyhow, my overall impression is really good. The organization of these interviews was very professional. For each interview I received a detailed description so that I could prepare for it. The appointment was coordinated with an online calendar.

Interview Questions

• Write an API for a phonebook service where the answer time (search name by the phone number) does not depend on the size of the phonebook.   2 Answers

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (New York, NY).

Interview

The process was long, 2 tests and one interview in Google Meets. The interview took 1 hour and it was with 2 women. They asked about Visa, preview experience and my goals in long terms.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL) in August 2015.

Interview

Unlike any job interview you had before. Just a nice conversation where they take notes. They ask you very interesting questions, step one: online application, step 2 :1 on 1 interview, step 3 : skype interview

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite color? How would you describe that color to a blind person?
      How wired are you? Do you take pens from your work place and keep them?   1 Answer

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TransferWise (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

Fun, most exciting I had in my life. Made me feel comfortable, and they seemed genuinely nice people. Also gave very detailed answers to my questions, which I found very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Ten penguins are at your office door, what do you do?   1 Answer