TransferWise Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TransferWise Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2018

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise in January 2016.

Interview

Completed their developer challenge and received an email offering an interview. A few preliminary questions via email. Scheduled a phone interview. The recruiter didn't call me, and didn't respond to my email asking why they missed the scheduled interview. I am not sure what happened, but after scheduling the interview, there is no reason to not show up.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

Very unprofessional and negative company.

Applied online and received an interview invite within a week. The recruiter himself even added me on LinkedIn even though he works in a different country. The interview invite was sent to me by this recruiter but the interview was scheduled and confirmed by someone else and for me to speak with the recruiter, which was weird. Later due to an unforeseen bad health condition I had to email them to reschedule the interview the day before the interview. Since then no matter however I followed up I never received any response from them. I emailed both people in a timely manner and even messaged them on LinkedIn. LinkedIn shows the recruiter has read my message but they never responded as if they just disappeared from the Earth.

This experience tells me they were NEVER genuinely interested in my qualifications as a specific candidate, they only cared about having the position filled ASAP no matter who takes it. And they don't care what their applicants think or feel.

This kind of unprofessional behavior is what makes them look bad and go backwards.

Growth Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

I had a telephonic first interview... questions were okay, usual-past experience, education.
    The hardest question- why Transferwise and not other startups.
    The weirdest question- 'I m not sure you can work here if you've worked in academic research before.' (If you are hiring freshers who you know have work experience as a graduate research assistant, why even bother to call?)
    The weirdest thing was- the person taking the call was very clearly working on a computer and hardly listening to the answers. Seemed pretty disinterested.
    Too bad. I thought they did interesting work.
    For future growth analyst candidates- keep it short and don't venture into explaining much and ALWAYS ask if it is a good time to talk- because it might not.

Interview Questions

• The hardest question- why Transferwise and not other startups.   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

Initially the interview went smoothly with me being able to chat with a designer on the current team and then doing a design exercise — standard fare. What happened next was a total drop-off in communication. I never received actual feedback on the design exercise and my emails would be responded to 2-3 weeks later by the global product, design and analyst recruiter, saying he was on summerdays and/or promising to get back to me with no result. After 2.5 months of sporadic back-and-forth, I was finally ghosted by him.

Out of all the companies I interviewed with, this was by far the worst interview experience I've ever had — which is unfortunate because it looks to be a great company w/ a great product.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Budapest, MO) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process has several steps.
    First, there was a phone interview with the HR assistant. We were talking about the position, my experiences, my motivation. It was very useful, and after that, I get an immediate feedback.
    An online test followed on hackerrank. It was interesting, with a lot of different questions, but not so complicated. I liked it.
    Next round was a Google hangouts meeting with 2 lead developers. We were talking about the product, the technical challenges, and I was also challenged by an online coding task. They were kind and open, and I could ask questions also.
    Again I got a feedback very soon (after about an hour) that I can proceed to the next step with a product manager. For that, I got a detailed description of the objective and the potential questions, which was really useful.
    The interviewer was friendly, the questions and topics were challenging.
    I got a positive feedback again very soon.
    Last round was planned to be with the VP of Engineering and one of the co-founders. Unfortunately we could not find a proper time that would fit for all. Finally I was talking to the VP and one of the lead developers.
    We were talking about the motivation and there were a lot of technical and architectural questions.
    This did not work out as much as I expected, so finally the process has finished at this point, my application was rejected:(

Anyhow, my overall impression is really good. The organization of these interviews was very professional. For each interview I received a detailed description so that I could prepare for it. The appointment was coordinated with an online calendar.

Interview Questions

• Write an API for a phonebook service where the answer time (search name by the phone number) does not depend on the size of the phonebook.   2 Answers

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL) in August 2015.

Interview

Unlike any job interview you had before. Just a nice conversation where they take notes. They ask you very interesting questions, step one: online application, step 2 :1 on 1 interview, step 3 : skype interview

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite color? How would you describe that color to a blind person?
      How wired are you? Do you take pens from your work place and keep them?   1 Answer

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TransferWise (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

Fun, most exciting I had in my life. Made me feel comfortable, and they seemed genuinely nice people. Also gave very detailed answers to my questions, which I found very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Ten penguins are at your office door, what do you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied on line for two different bilingual positions and after a few days I received an email to schedule an interview. I had two interviews by Skype. They are very friendly and make you feel comfortable. I had the experience they were looking for but the first they only sent an email rejecting me and the second a recruiter from London said they didn't choose me because of my English was not enough for them, I know my speak is not the best, but I didn't see as a obstacle, I'm not dumb but they made me feel like that. My sister in law applied as well and she had a interview in person, she is American. After that, they contacted her by phone to reject her too. She felt upset because she was confident and they demonstrated to like her during the interview. Do not feel would like to know what kind of person they are looking for because salaries are not the best. It seems they are looking for the best person, a brilliant person.

Interview Questions

• They ask about your background, what you did in your previous jobs.   1 Answer
    • If you could live in other country, what country would you choose? Why?   1 Answer
    • Do you have anything weird?   1 Answer
    • Do you know which are the daily tasks for this position?   1 Answer
    • If you haven't chosen Transferwise what kind of company would you choose?   1 Answer
    • Have you done anything in you previous jobs which made you feel proud?   1 Answer
    • What kind of music do you like?   1 Answer
    • If you are hired what are you going to do to be a good worker...do a good job?   1 Answer
    • How would you explain a color to a blind person?   1 Answer

Customer Support Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

Very comfortable and laid back. Lots of questions to make you think outside the box. The interviewers were very nice. Casual attire was requested for interview. Got an e-mail back for a Skype interview but turned it down due to another offer which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Pick a color and describe it to a blind person
      Pick a problem and then find a solution with a piece of paper
      Pick a song that best describes your work ethic   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview was very casual and friendly. They even requested prior to the interview that come in wearing just my own casual day to day attire. This made the experience much less stressful and I was able to really be myself. The second interview was through Skype which to me made no sense since the interviewer was at the same location. I would of rather driven out there a second time.

Interview Questions

• If there was a movie made about your life, what actor would play your part?   2 Answers