TransferWise Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 10, 2018

2.9

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL) in February 2018.

Interview

The process was a bit lengthy, but pretty easy!

After applying, I was sent a work simulation involving answering two emails.

A few days later I got called for an interview which took place on sight. The interview was personality focused and very casual.

After this I did a Google Hangouts call with a Lead who asked me more about myself and my interest in TransferWise. After that I received a call saying I was being offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a color without telling me what the color is.   Answer Question
    • On a scale of 1 to 10, how weird are you?   Answer Question
    • What is one thing that, after meeting you, you don't think I'd believe about you?   Answer Question
    • If there was a movie based on your life, what would the title be?   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

Initially the interview went smoothly with me being able to chat with a designer on the current team and then doing a design exercise — standard fare. What happened next was a total drop-off in communication. I never received actual feedback on the design exercise and my emails would be responded to 2-3 weeks later by the global product, design and analyst recruiter, saying he was on summerdays and/or promising to get back to me with no result. After 2.5 months of sporadic back-and-forth, I was finally ghosted by him.

Out of all the companies I interviewed with, this was by far the worst interview experience I've ever had — which is unfortunate because it looks to be a great company w/ a great product.

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TransferWise (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

Fun, most exciting I had in my life. Made me feel comfortable, and they seemed genuinely nice people. Also gave very detailed answers to my questions, which I found very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Ten penguins are at your office door, what do you do?   1 Answer

Chargeback Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

Applied online and received an email a few days later from a recruiter asking me to answer two questions in an attached document within the next 5 days and advised me to please email him with any questions. I emailed back same day with my answers and received a reply that they liked my answers and wanted to schedule a face to face interview. The job description was unclear as to whether the position was a cell center position where you would have to be on the phone all day. I emailed back asking if the position was a call center role before scheduling an interview; 3 weeks later and I never received a reply. Very unprofessional experience and I'm guessing, like most call center, they made the job description purposely ambiguous to lure people in.

Interview Questions

• Sent an excel spreadsheet with 50 transactions for you to review and asked you to respond to the question, "How could we decrease the fraud loss?"   Answer Question
    • Sent an email example from an angry customer and wanted you to write an email reply as if you were an employee for the company.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

The process started with a phone screen that was very pleasant with a very knowledgeable internal recruiter. The recruiter was able to answer many questions about the engineering team, the process of product development at the company, and overall management / culture questions. The next step was an in person informal interview/coffee with a product engineer already working at the company. This was a great experience as it really helped me learn more about the culture from someone already there.

Interview Questions

• How do you structure your product thinking when building new features?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

Very unprofessional and negative company.

Applied online and received an interview invite within a week. The recruiter himself even added me on LinkedIn even though he works in a different country. The interview invite was sent to me by this recruiter but the interview was scheduled and confirmed by someone else and for me to speak with the recruiter, which was weird. Later due to an unforeseen bad health condition I had to email them to reschedule the interview the day before the interview. Since then no matter however I followed up I never received any response from them. I emailed both people in a timely manner and even messaged them on LinkedIn. LinkedIn shows the recruiter has read my message but they never responded as if they just disappeared from the Earth.

This experience tells me they were NEVER genuinely interested in my qualifications as a specific candidate, they only cared about having the position filled ASAP no matter who takes it. And they don't care what their applicants think or feel.

This kind of unprofessional behavior is what makes them look bad and go backwards.

Growth Associate Interview

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me after I submitted an application online and I scheduled an introductory call. The call went well and she sounded eager to advance me to the next level of the process. However, when I reached afterwards to schedule a time for the next interview, I never got a response. Extremely unprofessional. The least a recruiter can do is respond and let the candidate know that they've moved in a different direction.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, tell me about the projects you've completed in the past, greatest accomplishment, something you're proud of, your favorite ad that you've seen recently   Answer Question

Customer Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied on line for two different bilingual positions and after a few days I received an email to schedule an interview. I had two interviews by Skype. They are very friendly and make you feel comfortable. I had the experience they were looking for but the first they only sent an email rejecting me and the second a recruiter from London said they didn't choose me because of my English was not enough for them, I know my speak is not the best, but I didn't see as a obstacle, I'm not dumb but they made me feel like that. My sister in law applied as well and she had a interview in person, she is American. After that, they contacted her by phone to reject her too. She felt upset because she was confident and they demonstrated to like her during the interview. Do not feel would like to know what kind of person they are looking for because salaries are not the best. It seems they are looking for the best person, a brilliant person.

Interview Questions

• They ask about your background, what you did in your previous jobs.   1 Answer
    • If you could live in other country, what country would you choose? Why?   1 Answer
    • Do you have anything weird?   1 Answer
    • Do you know which are the daily tasks for this position?   1 Answer
    • If you haven't chosen Transferwise what kind of company would you choose?   1 Answer
    • Have you done anything in you previous jobs which made you feel proud?   1 Answer
    • What kind of music do you like?   1 Answer
    • If you are hired what are you going to do to be a good worker...do a good job?   1 Answer
    • How would you explain a color to a blind person?   1 Answer

Growth Associate Interview

Interview

First round phone call followed by in person interview with 4-5 members of the team. In summary, average to positive experience in both first and second rounds followed by extremely disappointing turn of events. After being informed at the conclusion of my second round that I was invited to the final round of interviews (a case study), I attempted to follow up via email (and voicemail) with multiple employees with whom I had met and was outright ignored for over a week and to this day have not heard back from the company (it has been close to a month). I wanted to believe this was the result of innocent mistakes / miscommunication, but this was clearly not the case in retrospect.

It is almost unfathomable that people could be so incredibly unprofessional and disrespectful in this day and age...seriously disappointing given I had put a lot of effort (and time) into the interview process and had received positive feedback up until this bizarre chain of events.

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from a recruiter to come in for an interview in the following days. The call was at 8 pm. I went to the offices and the lady that interviewed me was nice and polite. It was just a bit awkward for different reasons. When I first walked into the building I immediately thought that it wasn't for me. From what I can see, there were a few long tables with back to back computers at a very close proximity. I know this isn't an issue for most people, but I have always worked and had my own personal little area. Then, we went into a room and she started asking me normal interview questions, had the "How are you weird?" question in there, and it was all going well, she seemed nice. Until at the point of the interview where they say that it is a linear organization and there are no managers. So, not really much promotions or things like that. It got awkward for me because I couldn't hide it anymore that it wasn't where I wanted to be or the type of organization I wanted to grow with. I know the people there seemed content, it just wasn't for me