Travelers Claim Representative Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 12, 2017

3.2

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Claims Representative Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers.

Interview

Probably one of the most intense interview processes I've gone through, but it was worth it.

First, I was contacted by a recruiter. We briefly discussed the position and my experience.

Next, I was scheduled to take a 3 hour long assessment. I was applying for a position in a different state, so they were kind enough to let me take the assessment at a local Travelers office. The assessment included a typing test, writing a letter, math problems, personality questions. It wasn't that difficult and I was able to finish every section within the allotted time. I got an email the next day letting me know I had passed.

After that, an interview was scheduled with 2 managers in the claims department. Once again since I was in a different state than the position I applied for, they let me do a video interview at the local Travelers office. The questions were formatted in the STARS method. They asked about my experience and had a lot of situational questions. It was pretty intense and I couldn't really read their reactions to gage how I was doing...

After the video interview I sat with one of the employees in the claims department and shadowed him for about 30 mins. Be sure to ask a lot of questions!

A few days later I got another email to schedule a 2nd interview with an HR manager. We ended up doing a phone interview, and they asked similar situational questions and had me discuss my experience.

The following week I was offered the position, and had to do the drug test and background check. The whole process took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to give some difficult news to a customer   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Travelers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

So I went in for the testing that was 3 1/2 hours and I thought I passed because I received a call for the interview and to come back in an hour. I come back for the interview and thought I did well. The interview was an hour an a half. After an interview you get to sit with an employee and ask questions and see what the job is like. That was for 15 mins. Then after that I was told I should receive a email or call in a week and half to see if you get a interview with the director who makes the final decision. They have to pass your scores and interview to the Human Resources and they decide if it goes to the director. Which made no sense. Needless to say I got no email stating I got the job nor that I didn't get the job. Nothing. Whole day and no response. The process is very discouraging because if the hr picked you for the test- you pass the test - you believe you did good for the interview to last that long and then paperwork back to hr and then nothing, Sorry for long post.

Interview Questions

• Name something on your job you was required to do but regret and could change?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers (Boston, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call then we set up a phone interview - next step is the assessment test which will take 3-3.5 hours then a interview in person

Claims Representative Trainee Interview

Interview

CAT claim representative trainee

Before I start I just want to say anyone applying to the CAT position. You have to want it 100%. They will ask you over and over if you still want the job after telling you stories about how they've lost friends and have a limited social life. This position you are on call 365 days out of the year and can be gone 2-4 weeks at a time working weekends as well. (averaging 200 days and up is what i was told).
    The managers told me they cant make plans because they might be called out. The peer told me dating would be hard as well as maintaining friends. I was also told you work alone most of the time, and they haven't seen particular coworkers in months or years. If on one of these deployments, expect to work 8am-9pm or whenever you're done doing paperwork.

The reason they tell you this over and over again is because they NEED someone who is willing to do this. If you aren't willing it will probably be written all over your face.

SOOO:
    Sent in my resume and a few days later was emailed about setting up a phone interview, was told it would take about 30 minutes. When the phone interview came it consisted of the woman reading out the job description and then setting up a time for me to come in for an assessment. The only question I was asked on the phone was what I expected to be paid.

Fast forward to the assessment, not too difficult. I finished it in about 2 hours out of the allotted 3. Very basic math and then grammar. There was also a section where you had to write a letter to a disgruntled client. Overall it wasn't too bad but I also wasn't sure if I passed or not until they called me later that evening.

Received the call that I passed and then set up an in person interview a few days after that.

The interview was the hardest I have ever had. First its 2 on 1 for an hour and a half. They went back and forth with questions that were all very situational based (name a time when...). I would say they asked over 15 questions. I started running out of 'times when' and I knew I was putting my foot in my mouth a few times.

Then I had about a 30 minute phone call with someone who was doing the job I was interviewing for. You're supposed to ask them questions that you 'don't feel comfortable' asking the managers.

After that I spoke with a supervisor? for the next about 30 minutes. He was the hardest one to talk to and I got the sense that he didn't care for me, or my answers. I did not feel as welcome as the other two interviews.

I left feeling like I wouldn't take the job even if they offered it to me

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied for the claims rep blended trainee position and it took me about a month to hear back from a recruiter asking to set up a phone interview with me.

The phone interview consisted of basic questions on my resumè and related work experience. It lasted about 30 minutes and the recruiter was very friendly and easy to talk to. At the end of this interview we set a date for me to take my assessment at the office near me.

They send you a link with practice questions in SAT style and other test options however I feel this wasn't applicable to their test. The test starts with a WPM typing test then you have a section where you write a professional letter to an unsatisfied customer, then a section that included more insurance / liability related situations and a math section followed by active listening to a caller reporting an incident. I don't feel the overall assessment itself was very difficult just the time constraint.. so my advice is stay focused and skip any difficult question and come back to it if you have time at the end. After we finished the test the proctor let us know we would find out our results the next day. I got a call that next morning letting me know I passed so I set up my first in person interview.

I had my interview with two claims managers each took turns asking STAR method questions and they really make you think of situational type examples so just be prepared! The interview took maybe 45 minutes and then I got to shadow a rep and ask questions. I really like that they did this because you get a chance to really see how their day goes.
    I think it took a couple days before I heard back to schedule a second in person interview.

The second interview was with two more managers and it consisted of more star method questions and we also talked about training , a start date, and went over some housekeeping things as well. I also got the chance to ask questions and agreed to do a background check and drug test.

I heard back with a verbal offer after about a day and I accepted! It's clear this company really cares about who they employ and they can afford be picky with the generous pay offered.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a quick decision on an issue without all the facts and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middleboro, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Middleboro, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview that lasted 40 mins. In person assessment test then an in person interview. They were unprofessional and gave me a 1 week timeline to get back to me with an answer. I followed up for 1 month before 3 months later i got a generic email saying the position has been filled

Interview Questions

• Describe a time your moral came into play with a work related problem   Answer Question

Claim Representative Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process is very lengthy but well worth it!!! I interviewed on Thursday Aug 4, 2016 with 2 supervisors, 1 peer, 2 managers, the VP and last with HR. It went pretty well, the environment is welcoming and friendly. I received my offer Monday Aug, 2016 and accepted with NO hesitation!!! The pay is GREAT for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were situational and behavioral for instance, "Tell me a time when..." "How would you function if..."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Dallas, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a phone screen, a three to four hour skill and knowledge exam, which was a bit like taking an entry exam for middle school. If you score satisfactorily on the exam, then you are interviewed two on one with two managers. If you are selected by the managers, you must then interview with the human resources department, and finally a peer interview is conducted.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about handling sketchy information   1 Answer

Claims Representative Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers in March 2016.

Interview

First contact was a 30min phone interview that basically went over my resume. She gave a brief description of the job & that the next part of the hiring process is to take a 3 1/2 hr test. Test has 8 sections. Writing a letter, math, typing, grammar, mapping, Auto listening, personality, & insurance. The only portion of the test that's on the computer is the typing test & the letter you write. You are given a basic calculator for the math which is not hard at all. All sections are timed 30mins or less. Don't worry about clicking the practice test link in the email they send you because their test is nothing like it. Definitely make sure you try to answer as many questions as possible because anything left unanswered is counted against you. Their are a lot of sections where you're reading a paragraph. It's best to not reread it too many times because you will risk the chance of not being able to answer all the questions. I hope this helps.

Claims Representative Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelers.

Interview

Phone interview, 3 hour aptitude test, interview and job shadowing, 2nd interview. The test was pretty easy, the tying test was some sort of excel spreadsheet where I had to enter names and addresses. Then the interview was with 2 people who ask a lot of situational questions. I am going to have my second interview soon.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time a customer gave you the runaround.   Answer Question