Travelers Claims Adjuster Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Travelers Claims Adjuster Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Centennial, CO).

Interview

1) Apply online

2) Phone Interview- In this interview, I was told more about the position, asked technical questions (i.e.- what is subrogation, what is comparative negligence, etc.), why I wanted to work for Travelers, etc. During this interview, they determine if they want to move you onto the next process. If you pass, you will be offered a testing date.

*The next two to three steps are the lengthy parts and take patience.*

3) Written Test- This test if 3-3.5 hours long (depends on how many brakes you need). This test comprises of simple math (Part A costs $250 and it takes 3.5 hours of labor to install @ $100/labor hour, how much does it cost to install?), spelling/grammar (how do you spell comprehensive, collision, liability, etc.), eye for detail (they will provide you with a written description of an accident scene and then you have to match it to the diagram or you have a control column and then three other columns, which of the other three columns has different information from the control column), typing (measuring speed), writing of an apology letter to a customer based upon a scenario, and some personality questions. (Tip for the test- Don't over think it! This test is not complicated. I promise. People fail because they pshych themselves out.)

4) They feed you lunch while they grade your test.

5) A manager will meet with you after lunch and advise you if you have passed the test or not. If you have not passed the test, you will be sent home. If you did pass the test, you will then move onto interviews. The first interview was with a manager of the department that I was applying for. The second manager was over the entire claims department. The third "interview" was more of a peer to peer meeting where you got to sit with a peer and they showed you their systems and you got to ask questions about the job/their experience with the company.

6) Wait for a job offer.

*Be advised that the Travelers hiring process is lengthy and requires patience. Don't be surprised if the process takes about 1 month from the time you fill out the application to the time you hear if you got the job or not.

Interview Questions

• The interviews that I had were informal. The managers that I met with, asked a couple of basic interview questions, but they wanted to get to know me more than go through the interview guide.   4 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Travelers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied on-line. First telephone interview informed me that the position I applied for was being filled internally, but they asked if I would I consider another position if one opened up. I said yes and a couple of weeks later, I got a call and e-mail about another position I should apply for. After I applied for that position on-line, I received a call to come in for testing and interviews. I was told to allow 3 hours for testing, and if I passed that, I would continue to the interview phase. If I passed each subsequent interview, I would continue with the interview process. I apparently passed the testing, which included a typing test, vocabulary, reading comprehension, etc. I was then brought into a small conference room with 2 unit managers. They asked standardized situational questions from a script and carefully wrote down their impressions. I apparently passed that phase and, after a time for lunch, I sat with 2 different adjusters at their desks to learn about what they do. After that I was introduced to the line lead who told me more about the position available and asked what I had learned in each phase of the process. As a former employee of Travelers, I really did not learn much of anything new and therefore my answers were general. He was disappointed that I did not provide more detail about my experience. He then went on to tell me that I would generally meet next with the HR person, but they were out of the office at the time. He then told me that the position would most likely be filled internally since they had several employees in another unit who were available. I was then released and told to expect a call from the HR person. About a week later I received an e-mail that they had filled the position internally.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyomissing, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Travelers (Wyomissing, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

Standard phone screening with an invite for a brief in person interview. If you get past initial interview you must take a 3.5 hour skills test to advance to next step. Final interview literally takes 4 hours as you will meet and interview with all levels of management and hr director.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deliver bad news to a customer and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Travelers (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Everyone was extremely nice and professional. They asked very standard questions, primarily related to customer service and how you handled difficult situations. There were several interviews. A panel, a peer-to-peer, and a 1:1. It's like any other process, if they don't like you then you don't continue to the next phases.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a difficult customer service experience, how did you handle it and what would you have done different?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morristown, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Morristown, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

1) Phone interviewer, more like a screening 2) In-person 3 hr assessment 3) Three person panel interview with managers & then a peer interview 4) Three person panel interview with VP, unit manager, and HR director

I highly do NOT recommend Travelers Insurance Companies, especially in Morristown, NJ. Very unprofessional. I traveled an hour and a half 3x, and made it to the final interview. I was told I would hear the outcome within a week. It is now a month later and I have yet to hear their decision. I think it's highly offensive to an applicant when a company does not meet their own standards.

I have since accepted another position with one of its competitors who interviewed me, and offered me the position the next day. Much more professional.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between 'hearing' and 'listening'?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online initially and spoke to a recruiter which was fine although she seemed unsure. I then was scheduled for an in person interview with two supervisors. The interview was fine although they appeared unprepared. My larger issue is the length of time with the process. I was told by the interviewer that she would personally contact me to let me know one way or another in about a week. She indicated she knows how tough it is to look for job and the waiting part can be stressful. Of course she did the opposite and I never heard from them. I imagine their client's probably experience the same run around.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Received a phone call from a recruiter who asked me a few questions. Was then contacted by a rep who scheduled the testing. You are required to pass ALL of the tests before moving on with the interview process. If you are successful during your first interview, expect to have subsequent interviews that day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to tell a customer some bad news. How did you approach it and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Travelers (Cleveland, OH) in November 2014.

Interview

Very long and involved. After interviewing there is a testing process with tests not relevant to the job. slow background check process. Drug testing was required. a lot of questions were asked in various ways for the same thing.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle/investigate a claim?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Travelers (Independence, OH) in April 2014.

Interview

Hiring process was unprofessional which surprised me. I applied online and got a voicemail from the recruiter maybe within a week to set up a phone interview. I immediately called back and got a voicemail so I left a message. Didn't hear anything back. I had to keep calling for a week to finally get her to respond. When she finally called she tried to rush me into a phone interview that day which consisted of a dozen questions and I told her no, give me at least a day to prepare. Make sure you know all the insurance terminology or else you won't make it past the phone interview. After I passed that they set up a time for me to come in and do testing which took 2-3 hours. Each test was timed and consisted of insurance scenarios, behavior testing that sort of stuff. Wasn't hard but some were timed to quickly in my opinion. The hard part was the typing test. You cannot backspace or mess up more than a few times. After I took everything I was told I would get a call back on whether or not I passed. If I failed a section I could reapply and just retake that part in 6 months. I never got a call. They were supposed to call regardless of the score. As far as the atmosphere I didn't walk too much around the floor but it was very quiet, sort of empty seemed boring. I heard the money was good but because of my poor experience during the hiring process I didn't bother to follow up after I didn't hear anything. I probably wouldn't bother reapplying either I got a feeling it wasn't worth the money. This was for the Independence, Ohio location..

Interview Questions

• They will name about 12 insurance terms. Try to know the definition of the majority to get past the phone interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Charlotte, NC) in March 2014.

Interview

I interviewed a couple times here. Recruitment process is disorganized and don't expect any follow up whatsoever after the interview.

Interviewer himself in so many words said the company is not very diversity friendly and has struggled to add diversity to their Charlotte office. Charlotte is a very diverse city with several universities in the vicinity, so to me that says something.

Interview Questions

• They ask standard questions and some "tell me about a time" when type questions. The questions are related to customer service, problem solving, and basic ability to make decisions.   Answer Question