Travelers Claims Adjuster Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 4, 2017

3.4

30 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Interview

Over the phone was almost like a face to face. Very detailed and long. Then they make you come in for THREE hours to take a test thats archaic and on paper. There are about 5-6 parts of the test that are timed. If you pass all parts then you are granted a face to face interview. They grade the sections as you go and don't tell you that you've failed a section until you take all of the tests. It was a waste of 3 hours of my life. I apparently didn't do well on one of the sections therefore I wasn't good enough to meet the hiring managers. Even though I have over 7 years of experience. I honestly think its a BS system to weed people out, especially ones with special needs. Its a prejudice and discriminatory test.

Other Interview Reviews for Travelers

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX).

Interview

Don't be fooled by people who did not get an offer and left very negative feedback! No, the people in the building are not "ghetto," no, the leadership doesn't pass on people who 'threaten their position.' Very professional, welcoming, and diverse workforce. Travelers does their best to hire the best and brightest (pay is higher than all other ins. companies). They are open to hiring entry level. If you come from a different carrier and have been an adjuster for years, knowing the job isn't the only qualifier!

Very difficult interview process! Phone screen interview, followed by a tough in-house assessment, and then a whole afternoon of various interviews. That being said, making it to the end and surviving the cut leaves you with a sense of accomplishment. General advice: Practice STAR method, be ready to ask A LOT of thoughtful and relevant questions (this is what the company is looking for the most), be able to show how your past job experience has skills that are pertinent to being an adjuster (such as negotiating, multitasking, customer service), and also practice speed testing/typing (if you are not a fast typer). FYI, if you're brand new to insurance, having obtained an adjusters license really helps!

The phone screen was easy, they basically ask about your resume and a few behaviorals. Next is the very tough SAT-like assessment testing your grammar, typing speed, math skills, reasoning, and general insurance knowledge. It has a 70% fail-rate, so the company really wants to take on intelligent and quick-thinking folks. It is designed to not let you finish in time and you must pass each individual section to pass the assessment. IF you pass, the rest of the day is a series of interviews with several managers of different sections, as well as VP level leadership and also with HR leadership. You also have two peer sit-alongs, but don't drop your guard, act as if you're sitting along with leadership, because guess who is going to ask them about you!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not attempt to negotiate, the offer was WAY over industry average. Again, I want to emphasize that yes, this is one of the toughest interview processes you will go through, but it's for a reason. If you get the opportunity to interview, don't take it for granted. PREPARE

Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Centennial, CO).

Interview

1) Apply online

2) Phone Interview- In this interview, I was told more about the position, asked technical questions (i.e.- what is subrogation, what is comparative negligence, etc.), why I wanted to work for Travelers, etc. During this interview, they determine if they want to move you onto the next process. If you pass, you will be offered a testing date.

*The next two to three steps are the lengthy parts and take patience.*

3) Written Test- This test if 3-3.5 hours long (depends on how many brakes you need). This test comprises of simple math (Part A costs $250 and it takes 3.5 hours of labor to install @ $100/labor hour, how much does it cost to install?), spelling/grammar (how do you spell comprehensive, collision, liability, etc.), eye for detail (they will provide you with a written description of an accident scene and then you have to match it to the diagram or you have a control column and then three other columns, which of the other three columns has different information from the control column), typing (measuring speed), writing of an apology letter to a customer based upon a scenario, and some personality questions. (Tip for the test- Don't over think it! This test is not complicated. I promise. People fail because they pshych themselves out.)

4) They feed you lunch while they grade your test.

5) A manager will meet with you after lunch and advise you if you have passed the test or not. If you have not passed the test, you will be sent home. If you did pass the test, you will then move onto interviews. The first interview was with a manager of the department that I was applying for. The second manager was over the entire claims department. The third "interview" was more of a peer to peer meeting where you got to sit with a peer and they showed you their systems and you got to ask questions about the job/their experience with the company.

6) Wait for a job offer.

*Be advised that the Travelers hiring process is lengthy and requires patience. Don't be surprised if the process takes about 1 month from the time you fill out the application to the time you hear if you got the job or not.

Interview Questions

• The interviews that I had were informal. The managers that I met with, asked a couple of basic interview questions, but they wanted to get to know me more than go through the interview guide.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied on-line. First telephone interview informed me that the position I applied for was being filled internally, but they asked if I would I consider another position if one opened up. I said yes and a couple of weeks later, I got a call and e-mail about another position I should apply for. After I applied for that position on-line, I received a call to come in for testing and interviews. I was told to allow 3 hours for testing, and if I passed that, I would continue to the interview phase. If I passed each subsequent interview, I would continue with the interview process. I apparently passed the testing, which included a typing test, vocabulary, reading comprehension, etc. I was then brought into a small conference room with 2 unit managers. They asked standardized situational questions from a script and carefully wrote down their impressions. I apparently passed that phase and, after a time for lunch, I sat with 2 different adjusters at their desks to learn about what they do. After that I was introduced to the line lead who told me more about the position available and asked what I had learned in each phase of the process. As a former employee of Travelers, I really did not learn much of anything new and therefore my answers were general. He was disappointed that I did not provide more detail about my experience. He then went on to tell me that I would generally meet next with the HR person, but they were out of the office at the time. He then told me that the position would most likely be filled internally since they had several employees in another unit who were available. I was then released and told to expect a call from the HR person. About a week later I received an e-mail that they had filled the position internally.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyomissing, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Travelers (Wyomissing, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

Standard phone screening with an invite for a brief in person interview. If you get past initial interview you must take a 3.5 hour skills test to advance to next step. Final interview literally takes 4 hours as you will meet and interview with all levels of management and hr director.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deliver bad news to a customer and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Travelers (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Everyone was extremely nice and professional. They asked very standard questions, primarily related to customer service and how you handled difficult situations. There were several interviews. A panel, a peer-to-peer, and a 1:1. It's like any other process, if they don't like you then you don't continue to the next phases.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a difficult customer service experience, how did you handle it and what would you have done different?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morristown, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Morristown, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

1) Phone interviewer, more like a screening 2) In-person 3 hr assessment 3) Three person panel interview with managers & then a peer interview 4) Three person panel interview with VP, unit manager, and HR director

I highly do NOT recommend Travelers Insurance Companies, especially in Morristown, NJ. Very unprofessional. I traveled an hour and a half 3x, and made it to the final interview. I was told I would hear the outcome within a week. It is now a month later and I have yet to hear their decision. I think it's highly offensive to an applicant when a company does not meet their own standards.

I have since accepted another position with one of its competitors who interviewed me, and offered me the position the next day. Much more professional.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between 'hearing' and 'listening'?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online initially and spoke to a recruiter which was fine although she seemed unsure. I then was scheduled for an in person interview with two supervisors. The interview was fine although they appeared unprepared. My larger issue is the length of time with the process. I was told by the interviewer that she would personally contact me to let me know one way or another in about a week. She indicated she knows how tough it is to look for job and the waiting part can be stressful. Of course she did the opposite and I never heard from them. I imagine their client's probably experience the same run around.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Received a phone call from a recruiter who asked me a few questions. Was then contacted by a rep who scheduled the testing. You are required to pass ALL of the tests before moving on with the interview process. If you are successful during your first interview, expect to have subsequent interviews that day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to tell a customer some bad news. How did you approach it and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Travelers (Cleveland, OH) in November 2014.

Interview

Very long and involved. After interviewing there is a testing process with tests not relevant to the job. slow background check process. Drug testing was required. a lot of questions were asked in various ways for the same thing.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle/investigate a claim?   1 Answer