Travelers Interview Questions in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 7, 2017

3.2

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX).

Interview

Don't be fooled by people who did not get an offer and left very negative feedback! No, the people in the building are not "ghetto," no, the leadership doesn't pass on people who 'threaten their position.' Very professional, welcoming, and diverse workforce. Travelers does their best to hire the best and brightest (pay is higher than all other ins. companies). They are open to hiring entry level. If you come from a different carrier and have been an adjuster for years, knowing the job isn't the only qualifier!

Very difficult interview process! Phone screen interview, followed by a tough in-house assessment, and then a whole afternoon of various interviews. That being said, making it to the end and surviving the cut leaves you with a sense of accomplishment. General advice: Practice STAR method, be ready to ask A LOT of thoughtful and relevant questions (this is what the company is looking for the most), be able to show how your past job experience has skills that are pertinent to being an adjuster (such as negotiating, multitasking, customer service), and also practice speed testing/typing (if you are not a fast typer). FYI, if you're brand new to insurance, having obtained an adjusters license really helps!

The phone screen was easy, they basically ask about your resume and a few behaviorals. Next is the very tough SAT-like assessment testing your grammar, typing speed, math skills, reasoning, and general insurance knowledge. It has a 70% fail-rate, so the company really wants to take on intelligent and quick-thinking folks. It is designed to not let you finish in time and you must pass each individual section to pass the assessment. IF you pass, the rest of the day is a series of interviews with several managers of different sections, as well as VP level leadership and also with HR leadership. You also have two peer sit-alongs, but don't drop your guard, act as if you're sitting along with leadership, because guess who is going to ask them about you!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not attempt to negotiate, the offer was WAY over industry average. Again, I want to emphasize that yes, this is one of the toughest interview processes you will go through, but it's for a reason. If you get the opportunity to interview, don't take it for granted. PREPARE

Claim Representative Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process is very lengthy but well worth it!!! I interviewed on Thursday Aug 4, 2016 with 2 supervisors, 1 peer, 2 managers, the VP and last with HR. It went pretty well, the environment is welcoming and friendly. I received my offer Monday Aug, 2016 and accepted with NO hesitation!!! The pay is GREAT for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were situational and behavioral for instance, "Tell me a time when..." "How would you function if..."   Answer Question

Auto Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

A waste of time
    Apply online
    Phone screen
    In person testing for 3 hours
    Interview with 2 managers
    Peer interview 2 hours
    Interview with another manager, who didn't have the courtesy to show up for my interview
    Receptionist and testing coordinator were nice
    Hiring managers very subjective, not good interviewers
    It appears that they only hire persons who pose no threat to their positions
    One interviewee was dressed as if she were going to the club and not a job interview- I'm sure she got the position
    The work area was filled with gay and ghetto people, not that I have anything against these groups, but it just seems that my candidacy was denied because I did not fit into these categories

Interview Questions

• A time you went above and beyond for a customer?
      Don't know why they ask because their adjusters do nothing of the sort. The employee I set with for 2 hours was disengaged and spoke rudely to all his customers
      2 Answers

Claim Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied on-line. First telephone interview informed me that the position I applied for was being filled internally, but they asked if I would I consider another position if one opened up. I said yes and a couple of weeks later, I got a call and e-mail about another position I should apply for. After I applied for that position on-line, I received a call to come in for testing and interviews. I was told to allow 3 hours for testing, and if I passed that, I would continue to the interview phase. If I passed each subsequent interview, I would continue with the interview process. I apparently passed the testing, which included a typing test, vocabulary, reading comprehension, etc. I was then brought into a small conference room with 2 unit managers. They asked standardized situational questions from a script and carefully wrote down their impressions. I apparently passed that phase and, after a time for lunch, I sat with 2 different adjusters at their desks to learn about what they do. After that I was introduced to the line lead who told me more about the position available and asked what I had learned in each phase of the process. As a former employee of Travelers, I really did not learn much of anything new and therefore my answers were general. He was disappointed that I did not provide more detail about my experience. He then went on to tell me that I would generally meet next with the HR person, but they were out of the office at the time. He then told me that the position would most likely be filled internally since they had several employees in another unit who were available. I was then released and told to expect a call from the HR person. About a week later I received an e-mail that they had filled the position internally.

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

First a phone call from the Home Office. I was then sent a more in depth application to fill out. I'm assuming this is to prepare for a background check. Then I got called in for an in person interview. Very relaxed. It's been a few days and I have not heard back.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Interview

Applied online ,received email in few days to schedule phone screening .Passed phone screening , the person was very polite, professional and easy to conduct phone interview.Than got scheduled for skill test. Data entry is first , I did good (as she told me) compare to ones i was sitting next to, than 4 other tests on which I am sure i did great.All sections are easy and math is simple and can be done in 15 minutes.Tests are not difficult as you may think. After all attendants took a tests they started calling out people one by one. Than when its all started. I was left last and the person in the room told that person who supposed to give me results is possibly logging off for today ? Really? You think it's professional? who is leaving from work if it is their job ? I am sure she lied to me regarding that because they decided for some other reason not to pursue my candidate but they don't tell you they told me to call her tomorrow morning .Next morning i have email stating i did not pass one of the sections ? That is all really unprofessional and not qualify as a good company to do. If i did not pass you can tell me and show me the results. The other thing if this is such a great company to work for why they hiring so many positions ? Good luck to these who apply !!!

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Attended the Grace Hopper Conference but was emailed a couple of days before the conference to schedule an interview (employers were able to see our resumes because of GHC's resume database). When I arrived at the interview, I was put in a group with two other people. We each interviewed with three other employers for 15 mins. The employers all were slightly "higher-ups"in the company and were always related to the field you were interested in. The questions were all behavioral, mainly asking how you dealt with problems in school/workplace/etc. The whole process was really great, and everyone was so sweet and kind. I'm sure the actual interview process is different but because this conference is so huge and well-known, they expedited the process. The next day I was emailed to head back to the interview booth and was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• How would people describe you as a leader? How about a follower?   Answer Question
    • When was one time that you worked with a diverse group of people who clashed with you on opinions or how stuff was done, and how did you solve this?   Answer Question

Processes Sourcing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX).

Interview

I first had a phone screening interview through human resources, then an interview was set up with the hiring manager. Since the hiring manager was located at a different location, that interview was also a phone interview and took about 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been in a situation where you had to keep information confidential? Please explains that situation and how you kept the information confidential.   1 Answer

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview was short. It was a group interview of 3 people and they asked the typical behavioral questions. The interviewers wer very nice and friendly. They were not intimidating at all. Overall great experience.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online on the company website. Was called about 2 days after and scheduled a visit for testing that same week.

Testing consisted of typing, math, reading and problem solving. It took a total of just over 2 hours to complete. Was called later that morning and told that I passed and to scheduled an interview and job shadowing. Was given a set of date/times

First thing I shadowed with a Rep for about 30 mins. I really like this because you get a good idea what the job will be like.

I interviewed with 2 Unit Mangers. Both asked questions and took plenty of notes. The interview lasted an hour. Be sure to answer the questions with what you did and what was the end result.

After the interview, I sat down with a second rep who went over QA. I was able to ask lots of questions with her about the position and expectations.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a conflict with a co- worker(s). How did you handle it and what was the outcome?

Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.

Why do you want to work for Travelers?

How do you feel about work that may feel repetitious?
      Answer Question