Travelers Claims Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 7, 2017

3.2

155 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Portsmouth, NH) in October 2017.

Interview

The one and only interview was conducted over the phone. The recruiter was rude, short, invasive and demanded to know EVERYTHING involving every minute detail of my previous job departures. I felt like I was under interrogation and did something wrong. After being interrupted several times, I was ready to abruptly end this nightmare of a conversation but managed to hold it together until the Traveler's Inquisition was done. After I hung up the phone, I could not decide whether I had just had a job interview, or a prostate exam.

Interview Questions

• Recruiter demanded to know privileged information regarding salary agreements, benefits and confidential terms to signed employee contracts during my tenure that directly pertain to the reason I resigned from my last job.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Travelers (Charlotte, NC) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied for the outside property claims representative position in my area. Was notified the next business via email with a recruiter with Travelers. Was asked to participate in 1hr phone interview with in the next 2 day. Had the phone interview and everything went well. Recruiter was very pleasant and forthcoming. Asked general questions of prior employment and why I would be a good fit with the company. Was advised that after this interview, the next stage was an assessment test. Was asked if I would be available to take the next scheduled test (which was the following Wednesday ) The phone interview took place on a Thursday. I said yes and the recruiter explained the time and date for the test and what to wear the exam. Was told that the location would be forwarded to me by the end of the next day (Friday). Friday came and went and then the weekend. Was very confused; if by not getting an email on Friday about taking the test, was that their way of saying I didn't pass the phone interview? Waited until Monday and emailed the recruiter for clarification. Got an out of office response. The next day (Tuesday) I get an email saying there was a mistake and I should have received an email from the local HR debt about the test on Friday (The next day). 2 hrs later I get an email advising me that I was selected to take the test, which was to take place with in the next 24hrs. WTF!! Was told to study for the GED type questions. With not knowing if I had advanced onto the next stage of the employment process, I made plans but ended changing them. Never had enough time to study for questions that I hadn't dealt with in the last 15 effing years.

The test was somewhat easy but not enough time. The first section I only completed 18 questions out of 30.So yeah I effing failed that part right out of the gate.

Overall, terrible experience. Never had enough time to prepare and never understood the reasoning behind the timed purpose of the test. If you struggle at reading lengthy items (i.e. Policies) and having to answer 5 questions in 1 minute, or figuring out the volume of an isosceles triangle in 25 seconds, then save yourself the trouble.

Interview Questions

• Please explain a time where you had to deliver bad news to a client.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Dallas, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Received email to set up a phone screening. Phone call took an hour = explained job description then asked 30min's of interview style questions. Then you wait to hear back for a face to face.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for this position? Why Travelers? Tell me a time when you had to deal w/ a difficult demanding customer? Explain what role you take when on a team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Travelers (Orlando, FL).

Interview

I applied in July and was officially hired at the end of August with a start date in September. This is a very intense interview process, but I believe wholeheartedly it will be worth it. It begins with a brief phone screening with a hiring manager. If you are recommended, you will have to take a test in the office (lasts approx. 3-4 hours depending on if you take breaks in between each section). I heard back that very same day and was scheduled for an interview about a week later. After the first interview, I heard back I believe a week later and was scheduled for a second interview. Took about another week to hear back for the verbal offer. The background then took another week until I was cleared and given official offer.
    Everyone I met throughout this process has been kind and welcoming. I'm unsure how to give tips on studying for the test and I don't want to give wrong information so I will skip that part. I would strongly recommend anyone who is interviewing to STUDY and prepare yourself for behavioral-based interview questions. Review your employment history beforehand and try to think of examples as to how it can relate to the position you are interviewing for. Also make sure to review Travelers itself, you'll want to make sure you're familiar with the background of the company and the reputation. I studied quite a bit before each interview. Again, everyone I met and have spoken with have been incredibly friendly and I am excited to begin this journey. Good luck to you all!

Interview Questions

• Research behavioral -based interview questions and study those.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers.

Interview

Probably one of the most intense interview processes I've gone through, but it was worth it.

First, I was contacted by a recruiter. We briefly discussed the position and my experience.

Next, I was scheduled to take a 3 hour long assessment. I was applying for a position in a different state, so they were kind enough to let me take the assessment at a local Travelers office. The assessment included a typing test, writing a letter, math problems, personality questions. It wasn't that difficult and I was able to finish every section within the allotted time. I got an email the next day letting me know I had passed.

After that, an interview was scheduled with 2 managers in the claims department. Once again since I was in a different state than the position I applied for, they let me do a video interview at the local Travelers office. The questions were formatted in the STARS method. They asked about my experience and had a lot of situational questions. It was pretty intense and I couldn't really read their reactions to gage how I was doing...

After the video interview I sat with one of the employees in the claims department and shadowed him for about 30 mins. Be sure to ask a lot of questions!

A few days later I got another email to schedule a 2nd interview with an HR manager. We ended up doing a phone interview, and they asked similar situational questions and had me discuss my experience.

The following week I was offered the position, and had to do the drug test and background check. The whole process took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to give some difficult news to a customer   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers.

Interview

There are three interviews that I participated in after successfully passing the test. The first interview was informal over lunch. The next interview was with the regional manager and his supervisor and it was followed with an HR interview. After the interview was completed you meet with a person in the current role and are allowed to see some of the process and ask additional questions. This is an all day event.

Interview Questions

• How have you reacted when offered gratuities in a previous position and how did you feel about it ethically?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Richardson, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Very rigorous process as they are looking for the best. Assessment test, panel behavioral interview, and HR interview. As long as you are confident in your skills and experience convincing the managers of the same should go well.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when...what did you do... and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Outside Property Claims Representative Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers (Charlotte, NC) in August 2017.

Interview

First you set up a phone interview which basically consists of the person explaining the job and then asking some basic questions regarding yourself and your work history. I don't think many people fail this, and basically if you get called you'll end up being moved on to the assessment test. The assessment isn't bad at all. As long as you can do basic math, read maps, and can read an insurance policy, you'll do just fine. After the assessment, you will sit down with someone that does property claims. This is the opportunity to ask questions. They will ask about your work history, experience with insurance, etc. This is sort of a pre-interview, so do your best to impress with the questions. After that, you'll sit down before 2 or more people and begin the more formal interview where they will ask a lot of questions based on the star format. The questions aren't hard, however do your best to give good examples. Unfortunately for me, a lot of the questions I actually answered within the first few questions, which sort of left them fumbling to try and figure out more questions to ask (they have a sheet that gives them the questions to ask). Prior to the interview, I was talking with some of the other candidates that were interviewing at the same time, and I learned that one of the guys had some people talking for him. It's to my understanding that he got the job, which really bummed me out because I really wanted the job and had actually done some prior studying for property claims and am working towards getting certified on my own. He had actually told us that he only put in for the job because of the people he knew pushing him to do so, and that he really wasn't even looking to get into insurance prior to that. I know that's how it works sometimes, but it still puts a bad taste in your mouth when you really want something but get passed up for someone who is doing it just because. With that said, I do hope another opportunity arises and that I get the chance to apply again. I think I'd really enjoy working here if given the chance, and there is no doubt I'd be one of the hardest workers that they've ever hired.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to make a quick decision?
      Name a time where you made a decision that was the wrong decision? What were the consequences?
      Why do you want to work at Travelers?
      What do you know about Travelers?
      Tell us about your contributions to your employer, What have you done to make things better?
      *Some of these aren't word for word, but pretty close*   Answer Question

Outside Property Claims Representative Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers (Richardson, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Filled out application for a position that had a two month old post date. Recruiter ask you standard questions to see if you are a good fit. They schedule you for assessment which ws easy, pretty standard questions. Then they allow you to interview with 2 managers. Standard STAR questions which I felt I aced. After the interview was told they still had to interview more people and will get back to me. After a week never got any feedback and left messages with recruiter and interviewer.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle multiple task at once.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email the next day from a recruiter asking to set up a phone interview. That was scheduled for a few days later - it was very typical questions about my background, why I was looking for a new job, and then some STAR-type questions (if you google STAR interview questions, chances are you will find a top 10 list that is used very often). Nothing too surprising here. I was next scheduled for an assessment and interview. The assessment was a timed multi-section test on a computer at a local Traveler's office. The assessment wasn't super difficult. They give you a calculator to use and some scratch paper. I passed that and had an interview later that afternoon with two supervisors for the department I was applying to work in. This was almost entirely STAR-style questions.

Apparently the second half of the interview process is to shadow a person in the position you're applying for, but this was an outside role and they didn't have anyone in the office that day for me to sit and talk with. The final piece was to interview with a regional manager in the department, who was apparently stuck in traffic and unable to get to the office on time. They told me they would reschedule me for the final two parts within the next two weeks, but I never heard back from them to schedule it and received another offer so I didn't follow up either.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think an outside position is a good fit for you?   Answer Question