Travelodge Hotels (UK) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Travelodge Hotels (UK) Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

2.2

District Manager Interview

Interview

A very detailed assessment online assessing your suitability for the role, I then received a telephone interview which probed my suitability for the role. Stated they would contact me with next steps after Christmas, but no call was forth coming.

Night Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelodge Hotels (UK) in January 2017.

Interview

I was invited to a selection day which was supposed to consist of a series of exercises designed to assess applicants suitability for the role. There was me and three other applicants. I have done almost six years working nights in hotels including porter, reception, supervisor and night manager. The other three applicants had never worked in a hotel at all.

There was no assessment exercises; we filled in application forms then sat in the dining area for about 45 minutes before anyone came back to us. We then had a show around and finally we were interviewed.

By the time I got home, about thirty minutes later, there was an email waiting for me saying they would not be progressing my application any further because "there were other candidates who more closely matched our requirements".

How can people who have never worked in a hotel match the requirements better than someone who has worked in most departments in a hotel and has years of experience?

I met all the requirements on the job advert and those listed in additional documents; so it wasnt that. I dont want to believe it was an age thing; I am in my late 40s and the other candidates were all in their early 20s, but I cant see what else it could have been.

WHAT ARE TRAVELODGE LOOKING FOR IN THEIR STAFF BECAUSE IT CERTAINLY ISNT EXPERIENCE?!

Team Member - Housekeeping Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Travelodge Hotels (UK) (Dundee, Scotland (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Very easy application form online, then a phone call from the hotel manager asking me to come in for an interview. The interview was the day after the phone call, I was there for less than 10 minutes as they manager simply told me about the position and the hours then asked me if I had any questions about the job. I was not asked any typical interview-style questions. A few hours after the interview I was informed I had the job and asked to start a few days later.

Interview Questions

• When would you be able to start?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Travelodge Hotels (UK).

Interview

The interview process was set out as an assessment day lasting about 3 hours. Those on site were extremely welcoming and offered lots of helpful insight to travelodge as a company. The activities were well thought out with plenty of opportunity to ask questions. Be yourself - they'll apprechiate that as they notice personalities as well as skills and experience.

Interview Questions

• General questions about your previous experience along with scenario questions.   Answer Question

Hotel Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelodge Hotels (UK) in September 2016.

Interview

Being working in the hospitality industry for many years on manager roles I decided to give it a try to this 2* hotel brand as the salaries they advertise online in some cities are quite high so everything was looking promising. I applied,passed the online fit questionnaire, get the phone interview, get the date/time and they sent me a 60 day plan template to be completed that I noticed is from 2013 and from someone who not even work in that company anymore so…”very professional”, I went the extra mile and created my presentation arrived to the interview on time so…went to the interview for a hotel manager role, the hr person then started to asked me template questions not related to the role…..like she have to do it and want to finish quickly to go home, so in the meantime Im thinking do I Applied for a reception role? Where are the questions about cost control? Revenue? Sales? Investor?Guest measures? Team engagement?.....I just get questions like what you enjoy more at work or least enjoy? Staff fighting during their shifts? So wao…at that moment I was like what kind of hotel im going to…and the district manager only talked to me to asked me about my notice period and my salary aspirations that obviously I went for what they advertise and can see in their faces was way too much they were expecting to pay, so at the end I left feeling like I was overdress for the party and I just waste my time but at the same time happy as even I still have the same salary I work and worked for better brands.

Interview Questions

• What do you enjoy more at you work?
      What do you least enjoy at you work?
      Answer Question

Lower salary offered that the one advertise online

Hotel Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Travelodge Hotels (UK) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview was poor with no much interest shown in the PowerPoint presentation I did. I was told I would hear the outcome of the interview within 3 days. 10 days later no response. I chased with Travelodge and received a response that had been cut and pasted with poor punctuality.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you motivate a team.
      Talk about your people management skills

Hotel Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Travelodge Hotels (UK) (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a call next day, asking me to go in the following week. The email said that it would be an Applicant Day, with a group exercise before a one-to-one interview (which didn't happen).

When I got there, the receptionist asked me to wait in the bar/restaurant lobby area. I waited for about 5 mins before being called for my interview in the restaurant. The interviewer seemed friendly, if a bit inexperienced. I noticed that he did not even introduce himself or anything though. He read the questions from a sheet of paper. Most of the questions began with "Describe a time where you..." - I wasn't asked why I wanted to work there, or how I could bring to my skills to the job. He didn't speak about the role I applied for either, so I had to ask at the end. He said that the training scheme is good and you don't need to have experience to work there. I imagine that the questions I was asked might be quite difficult for those who do not have much/relevant experience.The interview lasted for about 10-15 minutes.

I tried to be as chatty as I could and ask questions, show initiative - but I felt a bit awkward because I could tell by his face that I hadn't got the job even during the interview, despite him being quite upbeat and smiley. I think they had already decided who to hire, and I was the last one to be interviewed. After the interview, he said I would get a call from the manager the next day to find out my "fate", but I never received a call or even an email to let me know. When I came out of the interview, I was quite relieved because I felt like I had a bad experience. There was just a bad atmosphere in there and it was not somewhere I would like to work. I just felt like I was a burden to the interviewer and that he wanted to get rid of me as quickly as possible.

I would not apply to work at a Travelodge hotel again.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you worked in a team to achieve a good result.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you received good, and bad customer service.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you showed good customer service skills.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you lead/managed a team.   Answer Question
    • (Basic questions) Do you have your right to work document? Have you been convicted of any crime?
      Are you currently employed?

Travelodge Hotels (UK) Response

Jul 27, 2016 – Resourcing and Talent Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We are supporting our managers to be confident interviewers and providing a great experience ... More

Hotel Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chatham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Travelodge Hotels (UK) (Chatham, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Was called in and met two managers, they greeted me warmly and offered me a drink. The actual interview was done with two managers, both had very good chemistry between them. They asked about me and wanted to get to know me, I asked about them and it was a very comfortable relaxed interview. They gave me certain scenarios which I then had to answer, was a nice experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you stand out from everyone else?   1 Answer
    • What's your preferred hours of work?   1 Answer
    • What's your ambition in life?   1 Answer
    • If there was a complaint from a customer about a maintenance problem, and the manager is busy, how would you deal with them?   1 Answer
    • Do you have your right to work documentation?   1 Answer

Travelodge Hotels (UK) Response

May 11, 2016 – Resourcing and Talent Team

Thank you for your review. Great to hear you had such a lovely experience. We really hope you enjoy your new role. Welcome to Travelodge!

Hotel Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Travelodge Hotels (UK) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online, answered pages and pages of 'what would you do if' scenarios and personality questionaires. Got an email 3 days later inviting me to a selection day on the following Monday.
    During the selection day the manageress was polite, helpful, and made me feel relaxed and calm.
    She asked me similar questions and wrote all my answers down.
    She told me I would fund our either way by the end of the week.
    I got the phone call at 8pm on Friday offering me the job.
    I start my induction on Tuesday!

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thame, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Travelodge Hotels (UK) (Thame, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

without asking any other experience, I though was easy to grab the job, but they never answer back. The manager is a gentlewoman, struggling to find people working stable at the hotel. She replace a manager who didn't care on people and now the reputation in the area is so so