Trek Bicycle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.3

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Columbus, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

The initial phone interview was incredibly informative and friendly. The manager was quite helpful and enthusiastic. We talked for about 6 minutes and I was given all the necessary tools with which to accomplish getting a job there. Hours per week and expected sales numbers wrte discussed. Now it is up to me to prepare a resumè for the job.

Interview Questions

• Bicycling experience and familiarity with cycling community.   1 Answer

BI Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle in November 2016.

Interview

Interview was a video recording type with behavioral questions asked throughout . There were four questions in all with 30 second time for thinking over & 2 minutes 30 seconds for answering one

Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in February 2016.

Interview

It was great, good group of people. Got to tour the facilities and learned about the process there. I would go through the process again and looking forward to working with them in the future!

Human Resources Manager Interview

Interview

I was out of state so did 2 phone interviews - one with the Recruiter and one with the Director of HR. I was then brought to Waterloo for a 1/2 day interview process. I was throughly impressed with Trek. As an HR person, I describe Trek as a "like me" culture (which is also reflected in their interview process). My entire career has been spent at companies that focus on leveraging differences, valuing diversity, etc. Both approaches are right based on what you are wanting to create. I'm from Texas and after hearing "We like to hire people from the Midwest because of their Midwest values" I did cringe - but also understand where they are coming from. The process - quick interviews with a handful or more of folks - did remind me of rushing a sorority - being sized up quickly (based on...??) without much time for deeper content, Q&A, etc. There seemed to be a lot of time spent touring the facility - hey, I get it - people (including myself!) get geeked out at Trek HQ. However, I would have loved to spend even a small fraction of that time diving deeper in the one-on-one conversations (again, to me content is most important). Great company, great people - clearly successful for a reason. While I haven't received a firm "not interested" from Trek, and think working at a cycling company would be super cool - I think I would ultimately struggle with the "like me" culture. And, I'm from Texas...and we don't have those Midwest values. ;-)

Interview Questions

• A lot of chit chat - the HR Director has the most relevant and thoughtful questions. A very sharp, stellar lady.   Answer Question

Content Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle in September 2015.

Interview

Standard phone screen with HR recruiter. Quite impersonal & neutral but expected for this type of corporate interview process. The overall interview left me feeling a little overqualified for the position due to some of the questions asked about some of my skills including comments about many of them not being needed for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your job? Why did you leave your current job?   Answer Question
    • What are your salary expectations?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want this job? Why do you want to work at Trek?   Answer Question

Internal Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone interview was the typical questions. In person interview was with 5 people the 6th person forgot about the interview and scheduled another meeting. Received an email 4 weeks later after 2 follow up emails, stating they reviewed my resume and will be going forward with other candidates even though I already interviewed for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why I was looking for anther job?   Answer Question
    • My availability, work experiences, typical interview questions. The last two people I interviewed with asked more personal questions, they seemed unprepared for the interview and trying to just ask random questions to take up time.   Answer Question

Warranty Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle.

Interview

Phone interview. Mostly being told how awesome it is to work at Trek and what they have to offer in terms of corporate environment. Sounded great and would have really liked an offer. Asked interviewer if there were questions for me and she had none at the end of the interview.

Warehouse Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Ontario, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

I was lead to believe I was for the most part hired I was not told that in the second interview there was going to be a written test to determine my skills. I was mislead because they said if you agreed with the scheduling please accept the second interview offer. Trek can afford to do a pre-screen hire test and evaluation they can afford to have it professionally scored as well then they can determine on their own if you qualify to be offered a position or not.

Interview Questions

• "Are there any questions about the position you are accepting before we conclude this interview?"
      The last question from the first interview   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied online, had two phone interviews and one day long on-site interview with 10+ people. The face to face interviews were done either one on one or in groups upto three. I first received a tour of the facility which was very impressive. The interviews were very conversational and pretty easy.

Business Solutions Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in October 2010.

Interview

I had applied for the position several months before and actually forgot about the application because it had been quite a while.
    HR Phone screening.
    The HR rep contacted me and communicated that they were interested in moving forward. At that time, he conducted a mini phone interview which asked
    -Why I wanted to work at Trek
    -What attracted me to this position
    -What specific skills could I offer that would be fitting to this position.
    We then set up a time to interview with the hiring manager over the phone.

Phone Interview- Hiring Manager
    That interview was scheduled for 45 minutes but went almost 1.5 hours, which was good.
    It was an open format with the questions relating directly to experience from my resume.
    I appreciated this format because I think it helped give a good picture of the experience that I could bring
     to the team.

At the end of the call, the hiring manager invited me for an in-person interview for the following week, stating that they were on a tight timeline for this position and would like to have a decision by the following Friday.

In Person Interview
    The on-site interview was nearly 5 hours long. It consisted of a Tour of the facilities and individual meetings with the with HR Rep, Hiring Manager, CIO, Product Manager, and IT Manager.

Tour
    The facilities are very impressive. The culture comes out very clearly just by walking in the building. Very open, collaborative, creative. Bikes are on display everywhere. They have a state of the art workout facility on-site with various workout classes that can be taken during work hours and after. They have a commuter room in which to store bikes for those who ride in to work, along with a mechanic for tune-ups. There's also a vast amount of bike trails on-site for employees to use.

Culture
    The environment is very casual. The breakdown of age groups seems pretty balanced, but minimal diversity, (not that much diversity can be found in Waterloo. WI in general.) Their credo focuses on minimal bureaucracy and the organization is quite flat (reinforced by the fact that I was interviewed by the CIO) It seems to be a truly medium-sized firm with all of the growing pains that medium-sized firms face. Not large enough to have an extreme amount of structure, but too big for a lassiez faire approach. so it seemed that there is an absence of overall strategic vision across teams.

Individual Interviews
    None of the interviews has an extreme amount of structure or order to them. They poked around at my resume and asked a few planted questions. The Product Manager gave me a BA scenario to talk through; the CIO asked culture-related questions like how I structure my day, what was the best criticism I've ever gotten; The Hiring Manager asked me to describe what made me unique, and how I would handle communication and relationship conflicts within teams. The IT Manager did not have a plan at all and mostly just looked at my resume and asked about things I had done.

The Hiring manager had promised several times throughout the day that they were planning to make a decision the next day and that they would let me know either way. He described that they would meet to do a ranking of the candidates and even if I was runner up and they needed more time, he would call me to give me a status update the next day.

I thought this was quite a strange and unnecessary promise to make, because knowing how those decision processes go, 1) it is not easy to make a decision so quickly when 4 other decision-makers are involved 2) it is not wise to let your runner up know that he or she is runner up in case things don't work out with your first candidate 3) it is generally accepted that companies do not follow up immediately after an interview.

But at the time, I appreciated their earnest effort to be forthcoming about their decision process. I had felt that the interviews went well and that I would be considered for the position.

However, it has been a month and I never did receive the follow-up that they had planned on giving so quickly. I did follow up via email once to say thank you and once to check in, but received no response.

Overall the process was a positive one, and the company is impressive. I appreciate that they have moved forward with a different candidate and I chalk the lack of follow-up to the standard hiring procedures; however I was dismayed to have actually believed that they would follow up like they had promised. Or maybe that's just the rejection talking :) Best of luck to whomever was hired!

Interview Questions

• Why would I hire you instead of the 9 other candidates? What makes you unique?   Answer Question