Trend Micro Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trend Micro Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2017

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Questions about difficulty level of problems on the Codility Coding Test.-

Are the problems on their test of the same difficulty level as the training center problems?

Interview Questions

• One of the recruiters sent me their Codility test and says I need to score an average of 60% on all three questions. I have taken the first three training center tests on Codility and my maximum score so far is way less than 60%.

Answer Question

QA Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Trend Micro (Austin, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

I did a phone interview with a recruiter, then a phone interview with a manager. After that, there was a timed online coding test. This should be your first clue that they don't know how to hire people. A coding test tells you nothing about the person's potential as an employee, only what's currently in their head, and how fast they can crank it out. On top of that, they apparently don't trust the results of the coding test, because they make you come in person for a "tech check" to make sure that you didn't cheat (i.e., have someone else take the test for you). After the tech check, I was asked to come in for a second time in person for an interview that lasted about 5 hours. You would think you'd be done with the "testing" portion of the interview, but you'd be wrong. Very few questions about my experience and myself personally were asked, instead it was a series of whiteboard coding and technical questions. The coding questions were right out of a CS textbook so if you just came out of school, you should do great. But if you haven't looked at a recursive binary tree in 20 years because no one in the real world does that, you might want to brush up on your CS textbooks. By the end, I was frankly annoyed at all the coding questions, because it's a stupid way to evaluate people. A couple of logic/coding questions should suffice to figure out if an interviewee is capable of learning and doing the job, if the interviewers have any idea what they're doing.

The process seems geared more toward freshout kids, not experienced people. This kind of interview is appropriate for someone who doesn't have much to talk about besides their CS homework, but isn't really a good way to evaluate someone with any significant amount of experience. There weren't really any questions about test engineering, test methodology, or other skills that are important in QA. Also, very few questions on my resume items. Overall, I got the impression that they don't really know how to hire people that will be successful there. The coding test is a really bad idea, and the whole interview process is very strange and is not designed to test a candidate's true potential. Be aware that you probably will be forced to go on site twice as you go through the process. This place requires a lot of candidates' time just to get through the entire interview process, offer or no offer.

Interview Questions

• Pick any question out of your CS textbook, i.e., "write a function to traverse a binary tree and output a value given a node name".   Answer Question

TAC Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Trend Micro (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Friend gave them my resume and said they were interested in meeting me. I was told i aced the interview but never heard back even though I sent 2 follow up e-mails. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you approached troubleshooting creatively.   1 Answer

Data Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Trend Micro in March 2017.

Interview

I chose online meeting. They sent an execution which is meeting software. There was only one manager interviewed me.
    We went through all my projects. The manager cared every step of each project. If I could not explain the algorithms clearly, he would said 'I don't understand.'

Interview Questions

• What is this algorithm? How to implement it in detail(Seriously very detailed)?   Answer Question

Facilities Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trend Micro (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who thought my resume fit the job requirements. I was further screened over the phone and was told that I would interview with the hiring manager. This part took awhile because the hiring manager is based out of another location. All-in-all, the process took three weeks. The interview was a professional and comfortable environment. Gave a run down of the job description and further elaborated on what my daily duties would be. The interview was pretty standard, and more so competency/experience based. Not your typical STAR format, and more or less using interpersonal skills. After the interview, I sat down with someone higher in the company. The environment was professional and stress free, and they wanted to get a feel for me to see if I was an actual fit, sans qualifications. I felt like I was able to develop a pretty good rapport with both of them, and I'm excited to get started with Trend.

Interview Questions

• Competency/experience based questions.   1 Answer

Lead Qualification Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trend Micro (Irving, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

I had an initial phone screening and a skype interview that lasted approximately an hour and a half. Very upfront about what the position offered and exuded a relaxed casual culture that seemed to make what could be a mundane job at times more fun. Ultimately had to turn them down unfortunately since I received a better offer.

QA Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Trend Micro (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Overall interview was ok . But the process left a bad taste as it took them one and half months between phone screening and face to face interview. Also in the last round , one of the interviewer made fun of my university and was texting on his phone on and off while others asked questions.

Interview Questions

• Java programming concepts , basic SQL queries , no automation testing questions   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trend Micro in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I submitted a writing test, but did not get a phone interview (1 week waiting for a recruiter to contact me, and the recruiter had the nerve to say that my email was "buried" in her inbox, and that was the reason why she didn't respond sooner).

The company will initially make you take a writing test before talking to you. After submitting the writing test, I received an email a few days later telling me that they would not move forward with my application. When I asked them for the reason, they said that my writing "did not match with our expectation" ( I am quoting exactly what has been said to me). Funny how this sounds, as a technical writer who has more than 11 years of continuous experience in the field, and has worked for some of the industry's biggest players (IBM and Google), I've heard a plethora of criticisms about my work, but none had ever come across as "your writing does not match our expectation." They could've just said that they didn't want to spend that much money to hire someone from overseas instead of degrading you saying that the quality of your writing was not up to their standard. I just think that they're degrading you to conceal their real motive for not hiring you. An excuse like this goes to show what kind of company Trend Micro is - a company in which anything goes, and that excuses are justified as long as it serves the company's purpose, this is the company I feel does not treat its employees right, so good riddance!

Interview Questions

• They wanted me to write a 250- to 500-word essay on the biggest challenges in being a technical writer and how I overcame those challenges.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Trend Micro (Irving, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

I have talked with these folks at in house career days, job fairs, and over the phone interviews and they never seem like they know what they are doing. You can't get straight answers out of them about the pay package, time to hire, or ramp up time for the position. About all you learn is the organization of which enterprise customers or geography to target as a territory. They are proud they say their product is better than all the competition but I am not sure how they ever get someone to talk to a prospect if they don't bring them in for face to face interviews. They kick the tires on candidates an awful lot. Some of the job fairs locally where they advertise to candidates, the company itself does not even show up at their interview table. No HR person ever coordinates anything, it is just the low level hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience in Inside Sales.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trend Micro.

Interview

Phone screen with internal corporate recruiter. This was followed by a phone call with the regional VP - then in person with regional VP. Following that, three final phone screens with senior management, including the CMO and COO. All in, roughly three weeks from initial discussion to offer letter. Pretty straight forward process. Trend is firm on OTE, no negotiation.

Interview Questions

• No curve ball questions. Just be able to explain how you ran your business at your prior companies. Additionally, be prepared to provide detail into the Trend product set when you speak with upper management. Show that you did some research - you will not need to be granular with the solutions, just know enough to be dangerous...   Answer Question