Tribune Media Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.6

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tribune Media (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

I really liked the people over at Tribune Media. The culture seemed amazing, the interviewers were very laid back, highly intelligent as well. The process is a bit unorganized, but that is to be expected given the relative "newness" of the firm's finance department. Cannot stress how chill the environment was. The process is almost entirely behavioral, and they focus in on your business acumen, and what you can bring to the table. Make sure you have concrete examples of what new ideas you can bring forth, or you will not get the job.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tribune Media (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

very easy....professional, upfront, no gimmicky questions. I met several different people , many from different departments who were seasoned and even a couple of people from departments that I really wouldnt be dealing with. But it was thorough....they want you on your game.

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tribune Media (Chicago, IL).

Interview

It is a lengthily process, event though they needed someone ASAP it took a good 3 weeks from start to end. Questions range from beginners to Advanced level- Technical questions, they don't try to trick you just find out what level you are. First interview was a phone interview with manager and a few of their senior staff, second was with another senior staff and last and final was on site with members of other teams

AP & Royalty Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tribune Media (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Met with the Director of FInance, Controller, AP and AR Manager. The interview was very comfortable and friendly

Interview Questions

• If you were to put together your own team. What are some characteristics you would look for in a team member?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't neogotiate.

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tribune Media (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First round is five question asked via email. These are general question like why you think you are a good fit for this job and what are you strengths. Second round is phone interview. The hiring manager would ask you some details about the projects you did in the past.

Interview Questions

• There is no unexpected question. But be prepared about the details of the projects you did.   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tribune Media (Chicago, IL) in July 2013.

Interview

Got an email from HR, followed by a phone call to schedule an in-person interview. HR then handed me over to the Technical Support manager who then communicated with me through email. Tech manager scheduled interview with me through email. Came in for the interview, parked in a garage nearby (since the interview was downtown). I waited at the front lobby for the manager to come and escort me to the office/interview site.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions regarding command lines and structure of web servers/data structures. The interview specially for the IT division did NOT consist of general questions like "What are your strengths and weaknesses" but rather, straight to the technical aspects.

The manager did most of the talking regarding their company's background. One of the smoothest interview process that I have ever had.   Answer Question

Infrastructure Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tribune Media (Chicago, IL) in July 2013.

Interview

Phone interview then On Site interview. The onsite interview involved meeting the portfolio manager who was outstanding (Since moved to another position), his direct reporting program manager and the Director of Technology. The interview lasted about 2 hours and I was asked to submit a written summary of each interview.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have managing VM transitions? What is your management style. How do you manage difficult people? Do you have any time off? What was your most successful project? What is the largest about of people you have managed.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tribune Media (Chicago, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

I had two phone interviews. The first was with the HR representative. She was very nice and asked the usual interview questions. I tried to ask as many questions as possible and she answered as much as she could. She mentioned that the supervisor would explain the job duties.

I had the interview with the supervisor and he gave me a brief overview of the job. I think it is a new internship and he wasn't sure exactly what I would focus on. He most;y focused on my background.

Interview Questions

• The supervisor asked me about software I had used that wasn't really related to the position. It threw me off a little since I wasn't expecting it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were really reasonable. They are very flexible on hours. The pay they offered was great.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tribune Media (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

The HR Recruiter contacted me by email and had to fill out the pre screening questions. Once that was completed, there was a phone interview with the HR Recruiter. I got a call back the next day to schedule an in person interview with the Hiring Manager and his collegue. The HR Recruiter was great, he gave me some feedback and prepared me for the interview. The interview with the Hiring Manager and his collegue was pretty casual and lasted one hour. I got a call back that day to come back for a second interview with the VP of Operations. The interview with the VP was also casual. Later that day I got the offer. The interview process with fairly quick and a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• 1. How many years of experience do you have in period close tasks in accordance with GAAP including reviewing P&L, preparing journal entries and variance explanations and creating projections for future operating periods? At what companies?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate salary and longer vacation time.

Product Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tribune Media (Chicago, IL) in July 2012.

Interview

Contacted initially by a contract recruiter working for Tribune. The conversation went well enough to speak with the hiring manager, although there were some concerns on whether I'd fell fulfilled in the role. Getting to the hiring manager was weird in that it was scheduled, cancelled and then rescheduled. Even at the rescheduled time the hiring manager was 20 mins late to the phone interview. I had to all the recruiter to find out what happened. Then the hiring manager called me right after that. By then, I figured out why they're "emerging" from bankruptcy. Several weeks later, after I reached out to the recruiter a few times, I found out they filled the role with an internal candidate. In retrospect I feel like the old guard is trying to preserve itself in the midst of the bankruptcy emergence and that I was interviewed only to put a check mark in the box of "I looked at external candidates." Given the hiring manager's unprofessionalism, I'd bet they already had the status quo hire in mind and I was just a smoke screen.

Interview Questions

• Nothing technical about product management at all. All about role, it's "newness" et al. Nothing worth remembering   Answer Question