TripAdvisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2018

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA).

Interview

They gave me a tour of the headquarters and then asked many questions and had multiple people come in and ask me about my work ethic and style. I met with someone that had the same role as me all the way up to the director.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA).

Interview

They gave me one technical question and was not too helpful when I asked clarifying question to make sure I was interpreting the question correctly. Very rude of them to forbid me from asking questions to make sure I was understanding what he was asking.

Interview Questions

• Q: How do you verify a palindrome with spaces in between the letters?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

First a phone call with the recruiter, then a tech screen, then a take home project. Answer is not that hard, but what they really check for is optimization of the code.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

At first recruiter contacted me for 30 minute round. Going over my resume. Then later one 45 min round with hiring manager, asking questions on resume plus on statistics such as p-testing, collaborative vs contextual recommendation, boosting, 3 case studies and how will you implement it. After clearing this round, next was modeling exercise, its similar to what you see on kaggle Expedia recommendation. I did all, and best possible stuff, but they didn't give provide any feedback, just decided to move forward with others.

Interview Questions

• p-value, F1 score definition, case study on fraud detection like given 99% fraud cases and 1% non fraud what model will you take? one case on, given new hotels, how would you set stuff so that they also get booked.   Answer Question

Feb 6, 2018 – Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

Thanks for reviewing your experience and I’m so sorry that you didn’t receive the follow up that you deserved. We know that the case studies and exercises take time and effort and we do our very best... More

Data Science Interview

Application

I interviewed at TripAdvisor in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online through their official career website, get an interview after 2 weeks. Behavior question + tech questions. The first phone call interview lasts for 30min. Go through your Resume and ask you several technical questions.

Sales Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA).

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with hiring manager, face to face meeting with multiple parties.

Went through all the effort of interviewing and never heard back- pretty disrespectful of candidates time in my opinion. Not even an auto generated rejection email. It completely turned me off from working here or recommending friends apply. I guess being “ghosted” is a blessing in disguise.

Interview Questions

• Why TripAdvisor? Why sales? Tell me about a time you failed?   Answer Question

Jan 17, 2018 – Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to review your interview experience, although I’m disappointed to read your feedback. You’re correct- it’s unacceptable that you did not hear back from our team. We... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in December 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me and talked about the position and a week later setup for a phone screen. It was a video call and the interviewer asked about a bizzare programming problem. I was stuck a bit to figure out a solution. I was finally able to come up with the logic and coded it. The interviewer wasn't too helpful and didn't give any hints. The next day I got a reject.

Freelance Writer Interview

Interview

FREELANCERS BEWARE! They send you an edit test (ie. free work - write a hotel review) that is extremely involved, takes nearly a full day to complete, and then they don't even give you the courtesy of a reply that they received your work. The absolute most unprofessional freelance interview experience I have had.

Interview Questions

• Complete a 800 word hotel review   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2017.

Interview

I had a hour long skype interview with an engineer. The engineer showed up 10+ minutes late to the meeting without any previous notice, and started talking extremely quickly when the interview started up. It was obvious he was really, really stressed out before the interview even started.

Then spent the next 30 min asking me about projects on my resume, but instead of having a intelligent, chill conversation he was drilling me on the specifics of a project I had built at a all women's hackathon. It was a project I had built in a single weekend, with one other partner, so some of the design choices were understandably not the best. (I still won an award for the project though). He was pretty condescending and even insinuated that because it was a women's hackathon, that it was easier for me to win the award. I was pretty shocked but I wanted to continue with the technical portion of the interview, which took up the next 30 min.

The technical portion was a pretty straightforward tree problem that I nailed, but everything that could go wrong went wrong. The code sharing link he sent me stopped working halfway through twice. I had to wait for him to find another platform, and we ended up switching between 3 different code sharing platforms. This wasted an incredible amount of time with the interview, and in the end I think I was really only given about 15 min to solve the problem. I coded it up, explained my design choices, tested using edge and common cases, and explained the runtime and space complexity all pretty clearly and concisely, but didn't move on.

Overall, there were glaring problems with the interview process. That engineer introduced (pretty obvious) unfair gender biases during the initial conversation, a huge no-no with a technical company. He did not initially apologize for showing up late either, which is just a simple human interaction flaw. He was really aggressive in drilling me, which is another simple conversation skill that the interview lacked. The coding platform was not tested beforehand, and he had to keep switching between platforms. If the interview process is this sloppy, I couldn't imagine what being an engineer (especially as a female or person of color) would be like. Would not recommend applying to TripAdvisor.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you won this award? Is it because it was at a women's hackathon?   1 Answer

Feb 6, 2018 – Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

I appreciate you sharing your feedback, but am very disappointed to read about your experience. We take concerns like the ones you’ve raised very seriously and we plan to investigate. If you are... More

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Recruiting team put me on the wrong team so interviewer could not interview me. He apologized for the mistake but they did not give me a chance to interview again.

Nov 28, 2017 – Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback and apologies for the confusion surrounding your interview experience. We are investigating the situation to identify where we could have improved our communication. Thanks... More