TripAdvisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2017

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Frankly, I had been very excited about this position. I have a strong interest in the actual work, not to mention I have long been interested in TripAdvisor's products and services. A HR recruiter contacted me over email for my availability to see if I had time to chat. I was thrilled!

I promptly responded (the same day). No response. Thinking maybe the HR recruiter is busy, I followed-up again days later. Radio silence. Frustrated, I decided to follow-up for the third and final time.

I finally got a call from the recruiter. She left a voicemail without providing her number (I don't think she bothered looking at my availability since she called when I was unavailable). I called back using the caller ID, but I got her voicemail and left a message. She finally called back but apparently hung up the call after 2 rings (when I was just about to pick up the call). Called her right back; VM again.

A few more days later, I got the generic email that I wont be moving forward in the process. This had been such a disappointing experience with HR, I never got a chance to speak with the recruiter or learn more about the position. I think it's disrespectful to contact candidates and ask for availability but not follow-up. It ended up being a total waste of my time and left me with a negative impression of the process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Applied at college career fair, and got an on-campus interview the next day. The interview was 45min long. The interviewer begun with some quick icebreakers, then straight to 2 intermediate difficulty coding questions.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

I received the notice two weeks after I submit the resume. It was an interview on skype. They just asked about your project on your resume and talked about their department's tasks. Sometimes they don't understand your project. The email said about the some coding in it. However they didn't ask any coding question.

Interview Questions

• Details about random forest that applied on regression problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through university. Was contacted by recruiter within a week, asking me about my background, and set up a telephonic interview with one of their engineers. This was followed by a take-home coding assignment which was supposed to handed in within 48 hours. The next day, they called to set up an on-site interview, which consisted of two technical rounds, and lunch with one of their new hires. I did well in the first technical on site, so the second one just kept grilling me until they deemed me not good enough.

Interview Questions

• HR screen: Tell me about a project; why TripAdvisor;
      Telephonic: Basic String/Tree/Array related questions
      Take home: Want to see how well you design the solution of a problem
      On site: Again, revise your fundamentals. medium-hard level problems
      Answer Question

Counsel Interview

Interview

Came in for an interview about 2 weeks after submitting an application. Interview was round robin (I stayed in the same room while the interviewers changed). After, I got a tour of the facility which is very nice.

Interview Questions

• How I manage time, experience working in teams, and how I handle contentions parties.   Answer Question

Ad Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Interview is a multi step process. There are a couple of phone screens then an interview with several members of the department. You meet with each interviewer individually but I have heard that sometimes you are interviewed with a panel. After the interview you get an email with the final decision.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

TripAdvisor has among the most unprofessional recruiters I have ever encountered. Twice now I've been approached by TripAdvisor recruiters about positions and then have been ghosted. One recruiter reached out wanting to schedule time to chat about a position. She asked for my availability and I provided it. No response. I followed up and still got no response. I then submitted my resume online and the same recruiter reached out to me asking to schedule time to chat about the position. I responded again with my availability and again got no response. Stop wasting my time. So unprofessional.

TripAdvisor Response

Feb 1, 2017 – Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback although it’s disappointing to read about your negative experience. This is certainly not reflective of the standard that we expect our recruiting team to uphold and I ... More

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

First-round interview: talk with the team manager about your resume and experience
    Homework: a practical problem that requires modeling
    Onsite: team members are nice and brilliant. We discussed about my previous projects and the challenges they met in their current work. They asked a lot about a/b testing.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

I sent them my resume, and they happily replied asking for a coding sample. I spent a couple of hours on the coding test, and tested my answer to make sure it was correct. Then in two days they replied saying that they had chosen other candidates to move forward with. I didn't appreciate them asking me for a coding sample if they didn't have time to interview despite performing well on their coding test.

So, I've posted their coding test below. They give you 48 hours from when you receive the email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (New York, NY).

Interview

1 home assignment; 1 interview; 3 on-site interviews and a resume-drop before. Overall takes around 20 days to complete. Is a good procedure to rank and find candidates. Applied for Summer Internship Position.

Interview Questions

• Various DS questions and various TripAdvisor related questions   Answer Question