TripAdvisor Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 2, 2016

3.2

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

I went through one phone screening and was invited in to speak with the manager whose team I would be joining. There was first a half-an-hour of talking about my goals and seeing that I fit with the team's mission, then about 45 minutes of writing code to solve an array problem - mainly to make sure I knew to check for things that would raise exceptions - and pseudo-coding for a more involved brainteaser to test knowledge on time/space complexity.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2D array of ints, where '1's represent land and '0's represent water on a map, determine how many distinct islands it has (two horizontally or vertically neighboring cells belong to the same island).   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Software Developer Interview

Interview

The first round was a hour long skype technical interview, and then the second was a coding challenge, and the third was an in-person 3 hour long interview. The skype interview was pretty simple, about vectors and basic algorithmic questions. The coding challenge was also not too difficult.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume at a university career fair and received a call back not long after. Completed a Skype interview, a coding challenge, and then multiple onsite technical interviews during a single day.
    Recruiter was thoughtful and allowed me to interview with teams related to my interests. Overall a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Give a large square on a grid, with various other squares within it, count how many squares existed overall.   Answer Question

TripAdvisor Response

Feb 12, 2016

Thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear that you had a positive experience and that the interview was geared towards your interests. We wish you the best of luck in your job search

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (College Park, MD).

Interview

Brief about 45 minutes all algorithm questions. The guy was great, would help me through the process and give me hints. Think out loud, and try to talk about your logic.

Interview Questions

• Reverse an Array.
      Reverse a linked list.
      Difference between Array and Array List
      How would you map books to the number of words-> (use a hash map)
      One question I do not remember about hash tables
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

First round is on phone and with codeshare. The interviewer gave me an introduction on the company and his department and I talked about my background and project experience. Then I was asked to write some code to manipulate text file.

Final round is on-site. The recruiter showed me around their office. Then it's one-on-one interview with different interviewers.

Interview Questions

• How to extract some information from a formatted text file? All the questions are practical. There is no pure algorithmic question.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume at the career fair and then received a call a few weeks later. First round was a technical Skype interview, no behavioral questions. Followed by an independent coding challenge (given 24 hours to complete.) I was then interviewed onsite with two technical and one lunch/behavioral.
    Overall good experience. Very welcoming an accommodating.

Interview Questions

• Related to building a tree of location-related data and its content.   Answer Question

TripAdvisor Response

Feb 12, 2016

Thank you for your comments and glad to hear that it was a positive interview experience. We wish you good luck with the rest of your job search.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

I met the recruiter during an on campus career fair. After about two weeks I had a skype interview with an engineer. Overall I did not enjoy the process. I found the engineer to be quite rude and arrogant and spent a lot of time talking about himself

Interview Questions

• Given two unsorted files of words return a sorted file   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

Process took about a week. First part was a phone interview - we went over some parts of my resume that were relevant to the position, I was asked some technical questions: commonly used data structures, differences between array and linked list, how to build a linked list, questions about grep command. After that we had a shared work-space session online where I had to code two very simple programs in js - a second year comp sci student should have no problem coding them up. All together, this part took about 50 minutes.

I was invited to an on-site interview at FlipKey's office. The office space is well renovated factory building; modern and very well designed. Open-concept with a lot of space and light. I was impressed.

The interview was Google-style 4 one-hour individual white-board interviews with different team leads. Each interviewer had some questions about my past job experience and then presented a problem or two to solve on a white-board.

Some problems:
    Write a program that character-reverses an ascii file.
    Write an atoi function
    Given an non-typical tree structure, split nodes into group by weight. Things to review: Sets, Lists, Tree Traversal, Greedy Algorithm, Knapsack problem.
    A few other problems where knowledge of standard algorithms and data structures is required.

Overall the interview experience was good. From what I saw and learned about the company, I would have liked working there.
    I had one major complaint:
    I didn't realize ahead of time how long the interview process was. The interview stretched well over the lunch hour and by the end I was exhausted and passing out from hunger. I felt it was inconsiderate of FlipKey to not offer me lunch or at least a break between interviews, considering I mentioned a few times that I was hungry. Especially considering that the whole company was having catered lunch that day - when I asked for coffee they actually walked me by the lunch trays. In retrospect I should have gotten over my shyness and asked them to give me lunch. Being burned out and having low blood sugar definitely took a big hit on my performance.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Attended the career fair in school and got an on-campus interview next day. Coming up with two questions, the first is to write a binary search and the second is about the lowest common ancestor.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in September 2013.

Interview

After o campus interview process, they use email to double check several information about me. such as the graduate date, coding preference. After two days, they sent me a email with link of codility to test the codeing skill. That test is ONLY 40 Min long. However, it is not that simple. You need to be careful with the requirements and have a good coding skills at least in one specific language.

Interview Questions

• One about stack machine the other is arrangement of digits.   2 Answers