TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 5, 2017

175 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

They had reached out to me to schedule an interview. The 30 min interview started with a brief resume run through and self-introduction, then an introduction on TripAdvisor. Afterwards the interview went into technical questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

One hour Skype interview with a Mobile Team member. Ask about the resume and project I have done. Then she gave me two coding problems to solve. The questions are not hard, you just need to write bug-free program.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in September 2017.

Interview

Recruiter found my resume somewhere and scheduled an interview with me before coming to my school. Questions weren't too bad, but I didnt really enjoy my interviewer. When I got stuck and was talking things out, he wouldn't communicate with me or give me hints and just left me alone. I understand you want to see me figuring it out, but communicating eases the nervousness and allows me to reach your ideal solution.

Interview Questions

• What does the word 'final' mean in Java? What happens when you use it on a class?   Answer Question
    • Write a function to determine if a string is a palindrome?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through university. Was contacted by recruiter within a week, asking me about my background, and set up a telephonic interview with one of their engineers. This was followed by a take-home coding assignment which was supposed to handed in within 48 hours. The next day, they called to set up an on-site interview, which consisted of two technical rounds, and lunch with one of their new hires. I did well in the first technical on site, so the second one just kept grilling me until they deemed me not good enough.

Interview Questions

• HR screen: Tell me about a project; why TripAdvisor;
      Telephonic: Basic String/Tree/Array related questions
      Take home: Want to see how well you design the solution of a problem
      On site: Again, revise your fundamentals. medium-hard level problems   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Applied at college career fair, and got an on-campus interview the next day. The interview was 45min long. The interviewer begun with some quick icebreakers, then straight to 2 intermediate difficulty coding questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

I sent them my resume, and they happily replied asking for a coding sample. I spent a couple of hours on the coding test, and tested my answer to make sure it was correct. Then in two days they replied saying that they had chosen other candidates to move forward with. I didn't appreciate them asking me for a coding sample if they didn't have time to interview despite performing well on their coding test.

So, I've posted their coding test below. They give you 48 hours from when you receive the email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (New York, NY).

Interview

1 home assignment; 1 interview; 3 on-site interviews and a resume-drop before. Overall takes around 20 days to complete. Is a good procedure to rank and find candidates. Applied for Summer Internship Position.

Interview Questions

• Various DS questions and various TripAdvisor related questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a technical phone interview, followed by a coding challenge. For take home interview the question was pretty straight forward. Basic CS fundamental program on collab-edit. The phone screen also included some questions about OO and algorithms. The interviewer was very friendly and he explained the position to me in detail.

The coding challenge was very interesting. I got 48 hours to work on it. I made sure that I wrote a very clean code, created README.md, wrote more than 14 test cases, Junit tests, noted my assumptions and provided them with the zip of all of these along with the source code. I did not receive any feedback on this up to 14 days. After that I got a reject. I was extremely disappointed that after so much of effort on writing a clean code, and submitting a solution professionally, I got a reject.

Interview Questions

TripAdvisor Response

Jan 23, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback about your interview. The coding challenge is a crucial part of our interview process and we certainly appreciate you taking the time to complete it... More

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

There was a telephonic interview, followed by a coding assignment and then an on-site interview. The interviewers were very helpful and friendly. There were some very practical questions on algorithm complexities.

Interview Questions

• 1. (Telephonic) Given a sorted array, find a number.
      2. (Telephonic) Write a program to tell if the right subtree and right subtree of the root are mirror images.
      3. (Telephonic) Making the program in 2 scalable and run on multiple machines
      4. (Coding assignment) Write a plagiarism checker   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA).

Interview

Pretty straight-forward process. Applied online in late-August and heard back from them after almost a month. Sent me a take-home coding assignment to be completed in 3 business days. Once submitted, I got an email saying that they wanted to conduct a Skype Interview. After that, I received an email saying they were interested in having me for an on-site interview. 4 rounds of interview (1-hour each: two were coding, one was somewhat system design), lunch with recent hires and an office tour. Nothing too difficult and very friendly interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Implement LRU cache with add and fetch with O(1) Time Complexity   1 Answer
    • Check if a string is a palindrome ignoring spaces.   Answer Question