TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 9, 2017

180 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

There was a telephonic interview, followed by a coding assignment and then an on-site interview. The interviewers were very helpful and friendly. There were some very practical questions on algorithm complexities.

Interview Questions

• 1. (Telephonic) Given a sorted array, find a number.
    2. (Telephonic) Write a program to tell if the right subtree and right subtree of the root are mirror images.
    3. (Telephonic) Making the program in 2 scalable and run on multiple machines
    4. (Coding assignment) Write a plagiarism checker   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA).

Interview

Pretty straight-forward process. Applied online in late-August and heard back from them after almost a month. Sent me a take-home coding assignment to be completed in 3 business days. Once submitted, I got an email saying that they wanted to conduct a Skype Interview. After that, I received an email saying they were interested in having me for an on-site interview. 4 rounds of interview (1-hour each: two were coding, one was somewhat system design), lunch with recent hires and an office tour. Nothing too difficult and very friendly interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Implement LRU cache with add and fetch with O(1) Time Complexity   1 Answer
    • Check if a string is a palindrome ignoring spaces.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2016.

Interview

Process: online application, pre-interview, project, technical interview, on-site interview. I got rejected after the project. They give you 48 hours to complete. I asked if they could send it on the Thursday afternoon of that week, hoping to get it done before the weekend. Their response: we'll send it to you Friday afternoon "so you can complete over the weekend!"

3 weeks pass, and I finally get my rejection. Same old "at this time, we have decided to pursue other candidates." I politely asked if they could give me any useful feedback on my project, and they ignored my email. They're not located in Silicon Valley, but it's the same BS, and the same lack of respect for your time and effort. You include descriptions of projects you've done on your resume, and a link to your github. That should be enough. I don't understand why all these companies feel the need to make you do these silly projects just to earn a phone call.

The rejection email did mention they were hoping for me to reapply next year for full-time. So I can waste another weekend doing another project and not get any feedback from a real person? No thanks.

Interview Questions

• Before we interview you, we want you to complete a take-home project. We'll send it to you Friday afternoon "so you can complete over the weekend!"   Answer Question

TripAdvisor Response

Dec 16, 2016 – Vice President, Global Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review although I’m sorry that you were disappointed with your experience . We’ve previously found our coding test to be an important part of the interview process as it reflects the... More

Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Had an on-campus interview, after which came a at-home coding assignment. The final step is then a day of on-site interviews, I had two technical interviews and a behavioural one.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not too difficult, and not too easy. Some examples were binary search, input parsing and correct use of data structures (HashMaps and Priority Queues). Knowledge of Trees also came in helpful. One design questions about large scale software management.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

5 Rounds.
    Got the call from career fair when they came to my college.
    1st round was the very next day of the career fair
    2nd Round - take home assignment
    3,4,5 - onsite.

A very friendly set of warm and awesome people.
    Questions are based on data structure and algorithms - not too difficult.
    Signed NDA.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I interviewed on campus first the day after our career fair. After I passed I went through a coding challenge in which they gave me practical data and problem to solve. Then I got invited onsite for the final round. Went through two technical and one behavioral interviews. Standard data structures and algorithm questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and through campus' career fair. So I'm not really sure which one got me to the interview. I first got an email telling me that the HR was interested in talking to me and the next week I got a phone call from the HR, explaining to me about the description of the job and I was scheduled for a technical interview for the following week. In the 3rd week, I had a Skype interview with the software team's manager. The manager shared an online coding page and corrected some parts where I did wrongly on my code.

Interview Questions

• Get the first departure city and last destination city from the boarding pass.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2016.

Interview

I applied at the university Career Fair. The process took 1 week. I had a phone interview with an engineer that was purely technical. The interviewer wasn´t very helpful when I got stuck with the sintaxis, the program must compile and run so you have to know the exact sintaxis.

Interview Questions

• Write a program that receive a text, parse it according to some rules and return the most repeated words. The program has to run and you can choose the programming language.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I had two rounds of interview in college. Some basic algorithm questions and some language specific questions like javascript if you're interviewing for full stack. There's also an online coding challenge

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus interview: 40 minutes 2 questions, 10 minutes for asking interviewer questions. The questions were not hard, but I was asked to write code on blank paper. I rarely practiced writing code on paper, so I got messy... Nice interviewer, gave hints when I was not in the right direction.