TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2017

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I interviewed on campus first the day after our career fair. After I passed I went through a coding challenge in which they gave me practical data and problem to solve. Then I got invited onsite for the final round. Went through two technical and one behavioral interviews. Standard data structures and algorithm questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and through campus' career fair. So I'm not really sure which one got me to the interview. I first got an email telling me that the HR was interested in talking to me and the next week I got a phone call from the HR, explaining to me about the description of the job and I was scheduled for a technical interview for the following week. In the 3rd week, I had a Skype interview with the software team's manager. The manager shared an online coding page and corrected some parts where I did wrongly on my code.

Interview Questions

• Get the first departure city and last destination city from the boarding pass.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2016.

Interview

I applied at the university Career Fair. The process took 1 week. I had a phone interview with an engineer that was purely technical. The interviewer wasn´t very helpful when I got stuck with the sintaxis, the program must compile and run so you have to know the exact sintaxis.

Interview Questions

• Write a program that receive a text, parse it according to some rules and return the most repeated words. The program has to run and you can choose the programming language.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I had two rounds of interview in college. Some basic algorithm questions and some language specific questions like javascript if you're interviewing for full stack. There's also an online coding challenge

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus interview: 40 minutes 2 questions, 10 minutes for asking interviewer questions. The questions were not hard, but I was asked to write code on blank paper. I rarely practiced writing code on paper, so I got messy... Nice interviewer, gave hints when I was not in the right direction.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Troy, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was mostly a skill review. They looked for potential interns who understands most of the concepts in software engineering. The main focus of the Interview was to provide a coding solution to a given problem with a programming language of your choice. They may let you ask your own questions about the internship in the end.

Interview Questions

• What programming language do you prefer using?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

We started with briefly talking about the resume. I was then asked some conceptual questions of data structures and algorithms and finally a coding question. I applied during campus career fair and got contacted by Tripadvisor one week after the career fair.

Interview Questions

• Tell the differences between quick sort and merge sort.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in September 2016.

Interview

On campus interview. Consisted of introduction discussion of classwork. It was followed up by a technical interview, consisting of whiteboard implementation of a travel tagging system. I was given the opportunity to ask questions at the end. Only had a day to prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Implement a travel tagging system in any programming language. Each tag had an id and associated terms.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed at TripAdvisor on April 2016. After the phone interview, I had a one hour technical interview on Skype with the hiring manager. The question was not hard, but the interviewer was way too rude and unprofessional!
    TripAdvisor's interviewers definitely need to be trained by Google's interviewers. If the interviewee asks clarifying questions, that doesn't mean that you should be ironic and rude! I found two different solutions for the problem, but not the one on the interviewer's mind.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you're very familiar with arrays, sets and loops. (The question is not hard)   Answer Question

TripAdvisor Response

May 24, 2016 – SVP & General Manager, Global Flights Business

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback although it's certainly disappointing to read about your negative experience. We take this feedback very seriously and use it to make ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA).

Interview

1. On campus Interview 2. Coding Challenge 3. Three 1 hour onsite interviews

The whole process was smooth. There weren't any pointless recruiter calls. They treated the onsite candidates really well. The 3 onsite interviews were in the morning. Then they served lunch. TripAdvisor has a free company dining hall/cafeteria similar to those in Silicon Valley. After lunch, there was a tour, a tech talk from a high level manager and a panel to ask new grad software engineers about their experience.

Overall it was the best interview experience I've had in Boston/NYC and one of the better ones compared to interviews at Bay area and Seattle HQ companies.

The onsite interviews consist of 2 algorithms/data structures and 1 pure behavioral interview. The behavioral interview felt like a natural conversation and was very pleasant. He asked about projects, experience and what I thought about TripAdvisor.

My only complaint is that one of the interviewers focused more on math proofs of the programming question than the actual programming question. The actual question and all other tech questions asked were typical algorithms/data structures questions.

Interview Questions

• Prove mathematically why your algorithm runs in O(n log (n)) time (show the summation). Explain what O(n) means mathematically.   Answer Question