TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 6, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (La Jolla, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I met the recruiter at a University career fair. He asked me to describe hash tables. A week later I received an email to set up a skype interview. He asked me to talk about about the projects listed on my resume then asked me questions regarding OOP principles. The last thing was to implement a method to check if a word was a palindrome. About a week later I received a coding assignment.

Interview Questions

• Implement a method that determines if a word is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

I was first invited to the on-campus interview but I cannot make it.
    So they phone interviewed me and I passed it.
    Later on the throw me a take home exam asking me to implement some booking functionality in Python/Java.

After submission it is a rejection right away.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of integers, find the largest one in value.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

My first interview came on campus 1 day after TripAdvisor visited for a career fair. That interview was technical and 30 - 45 minutes long. There was some time to ask questions about the company at the end. After this, I was given a coding challenge that was supposed to take 2 hours (but you'd better spend more than 2 hours on it, because there is a job on the line). Finally, the onsite interview happened. 2 technical, 1 lunch and 1 non technical interview with a senior engineering manager

Interview Questions

• Questions involving caching, bit shifting and general design   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Went to the career fair, had a brief technical screening there and later that day got a call for an on-campus interview. The campus fair interview was basic with me going over my background and some basic caching techniques. The on-campus interview was 45 min long with a couple of questions. Some were database related and some were just writing the program for breadth first search.

Interview Questions

• Q1. The difference between Depth First search and Breadth First Search.
      Q2. Which of the two is better as far as performance and space constraints go?
      Q3. Implement Breadth First Search.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me and set up a technical phone screen with the manager. The phone screen was a simple coding question with some questions testing my data structure knowledge. Afterwards I was sent a take home assignment for me to complete in 24 hours. I was brought in for an onsite interview at their headquarters two weeks after. The onsite interview consisted of 3 technical interviews and lunch with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted array of integers (All inputs are distinct) like [-1, 0, 2, 7, 9], return an integer in which the index matches the value it contains.   1 Answer
    • On TripAdvisor’s website for hotels, it gets 15 million clicks on hotels each day, and there are 1 million distinct hotels. We would like to display urgency messages when a user clicks on a hotel. If we get more than 10 user clicks for the specific hotel in the past 10 minutes, display a message to the user saying 10 other users have looked at this hotel in the past 10 minutes (trying to let the users feel the sense or urgentness). If no more than 10 users in the past 10 minutes, look at the past hour and display message if there are more than 10 clicks in the past hour. If no more than 10 user clicks in the past hour, look at the past 24 hours, and display message if there are more than 10 user clicks. Otherwise, display no message. How would you implement this feature?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2015.

Interview

The interviewer didn't seem very interested or enthusiastic, but that's not too surprising if it wasn't his first phone interview of the day. I was asked just one technical question. Using codeshare, he went through the problem with me, answering questions and giving some feedback, but not much. At the end, he asked some standard questions about my solution, including run time, overhead, and ideas to improve.

Interview Questions

• Question was about manipulating a string, fairly straightforward stuff.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Ithaca, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university and talked to TripAdvisor at the career fair. After the career fair they gave me a Skype technical phone screen. The interview itself involved coding in front of the interviewer and talking through your thought process (standard tech interview protocol). I choked at one point and totally blanked on an algorithm implementation, but the interviewer let me sit and struggle with it for 20 minutes, which was uncomfortable, but fair.

Interview Questions

• Given a string, find the 10 most common words in the most efficient way possible   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2015.

Interview

On phone interview. Very rude interviewer. Lacked basic people skills. Needs training in how to take interviews. This person's idea of interview is to humiliate people. When you ask a question, patiently listen. Understand what the person is saying. And if you have a suggestion, you can do it politely. At the minimum attend google's interview training. You are only giving the brand of the company a bad name with this behavior.

Interview Questions

• Projects you have worked on, recursive algorithm question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Buffalo, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Tripadvisor came on campus. They asked me some basic quesitons for screening on campus. After that they scheduled a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was given a coding challenge to be completed within one day.

Interview Questions

• 1. How is hashmap implemented 2. Given an array of integers of size n. They should contain all numbers from [0...n]. One number is missing. Find that number.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

I did an on campus interview the day after a career fair at my university. After passing the on campus interview, I was flown out to headquarters in Boston for a tour of the workplace, lunch, and two more technical, one on one interviews.

I had a great experience all around, especially compared to my interviews with larger companies. My recruiter was prompt & friendly; travel out to Boston was completely taken care of for me- all I had to do was give two days I was free. Both of my interviewers seemed happy to be there and genuinely interested in my previous work & my solutions to their problems. Whiteboard coding was a breeze since I was able to interact with my interviewers quite a bit; it felt more like a test of my creativity and ability to express myself than a test of "how much time have you spend on leetcode?".

Interview Questions

• Out of respect for the interviewers, I will only give general topics. All algorithm problems were language of choice / pseudocode.

Basic singly linked list problem.
      Implementation of a fairly common data structure & give amortized time efficiency.
      Improve linear time search on data using implicit structure in data / heuristics.
      Recursive algorithm to test some property of a binary tree.
      Describe a previous project in depth and justify design choices in terms of efficiency, scalability, maintainability.
      Answer Question