Triumph Motorcycles Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

3.4

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Powertrain Engineer Interview

Interview

After submitting a CV I was asked to so some online tests. After passing these I was Invited to an interview at the factory in Hinckley. The interview was technically focus, including questions about what a part is and how it was made etc. Overall a positive experience

Powertrain Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinckley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Triumph Motorcycles (Hinckley, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I did two interviews, both if which had a technical side to them. I was given an engine part and had to explain some of the physics behind it. Bending moment diagrams came up. They want you to be able to explain your thought process well.

In the second inteview I talked a lot about my projects- I would advise keeping this as technical as possible and preferably related to the automotive industry. Keep them in an area which you know well and they asked questions which tool you deeper an deeper into the technical engineering side of the problem

Engineering Student Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nuneaton, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Triumph Motorcycles (Nuneaton, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Sat in lobby meeting fellow students, before being let into a small meeting room.
    Introduced ourselves and from what university we come from.
    Started with a short puzzle based multiple choice test lasting 10-15 mins, basic not meant to complete in time, standard issue HR style.
    Given tour of factory.
    General chitchat with HR woman before engineering member arrives for group exercise.
    Team exercise to design layout of factory floor and parking design, followed by presentation on decision choice.
    Sat in dining hall, 2 members were sent home, lunch provided for 3 of us remaining.
    HR commented I had one of the highest scores they saw both for online and physical test and great group work.

Interview with Engineers given component to talk about, how its manufactured, how it works and engineering knowledge of it. Personal questions about hobbies and passion of triumph.
    Spoke with engineers for a while, interest in my projects and on Triumph motorbikes we love and a build id like to do at some point, over running past the set talking time. Left on a high.

Email saying I did not receive a week later, upon asking on feedback, "Due to not enough passion displayed about Triumph". Months later got contacted to reapply but refused.

Interview Questions

• What is this component, where is it located, how does it work and how is it manufactured? What are the loads on this component under differing operating circumstances.   Answer Question

Graduate Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinckley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Triumph Motorcycles (Hinckley, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Cv and cover letter sent off to an external email. Asked to conduct 3 online tests which were maths, personality quiz and mechanical comprehension. Then invited to a assessment day at the factory in Hinckley factory tour followed by a traffic light test and group exercise. Interview with 2 senior members of the design team

Graduate Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinckley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Triumph Motorcycles (Hinckley, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview day consisted of two interviews, separated by lunch and a quick (10-15min) tour of the factory floor. Each interview lasted an hour and involved two people.

The first interview was a more general interview, which asked some questions related to previous experience, as well as some technical questions. The second interview was more technical and involved questions ranging from d

Interview Questions

• Question related to design of a motorcycle chassis, they presented a part and asked a series of questions related to it, specifically, what was it's purpose, how was it manufactured, why was it manufactured that specific way? how else might it be produced. What was the purpose of specific features of the part etc.   Answer Question

Design Engineer/Senior Design Engineer/Project Engineer (Powertrain): Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Triumph Motorcycles (Leicester, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was conducted by two engineers who currently work at Triumph. The first half of the interview involved reviewing my CV and the second half was a technical interview. This involved such questions as why I had applied to Triumph and questions about previous work experience. For the technical part of the interview I was handed a connecting rod and was asked a variety of questions on how it would be made, materials and where the forces would be highest. They definitely were looking for a candidate who had a wealth of knowledge and could integrate into the company with minimal training due their small size.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinckley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Triumph Motorcycles (Hinckley, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

2 sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. 4 interviewer in total. Generally laid back and interested in me.
    Unprofessional management before and after the interview by HR - it all was handled by a very junior employee so I guess that's why. It took a long time to get my reimboursement for my travel. Since I came from overseas I was expecting one or more phone calls before an actual meeting, but I had to fly there without ever speaking to anybody. The pre-interview tests (online) were very boring.

Interview Questions

• Guess all the design features and the technologies used to manufacture a part of one of their products.   Answer Question

Chassis Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinckley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Triumph Motorcycles (Hinckley, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process was an online assessment followed by two on site interviews (the second interview is dependent on your success in the first). I was made an offer of a graduate position, at no point prior to or during the interview process was I told I would only be considered for a graduate position. Triumphs graduate salary offer is a fantastic offer for a graduate, but it was not in line with my expectations. I felt this was an unfair offer given I had 2 years industrial experience as an engineer and a PhD in engineering. The offer was non negotiable and I therefore declined. I have since been employed by another motorcycle manufacturer which acknowledged my skills and made a fair offer.

Interview expense reimbursement was promised, however following my interview it took 5 months to be reimbursed. I had to constantly email and call in order to get these expenses refunded. My HR contact was a student on placement and was not competent, I suspect this was a major contribution in the lack of willingness to negotiate a salary and for the delay in expense reimbursement.

Interestingly I was asked to do the online assessment twice by two different HR personnel (there appeared to be a lack of internal communication). I was informed by the first HR contact that my online assessment was above average. The second said my result was unsatisfactory, despite the fact it was the same assessment as the first and I know I performed better the second time around. So I am not sure the purpose of the online assessments.

Overall I have a very negative impression of Triumph following this experience. Despite their best efforts to have a professional appearance in their attire and mannerisms, the actions of their staff did not support this image.

Interview Questions

• Using props you are asked what manufacturing process would be used to various components.   Answer Question

Junior CAD Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinckley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Triumph Motorcycles (Hinckley, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online
    3 Strengths tests
    Telephone Interview
    Meeting at Hinkley Headquarters in Leicestershire
    Met the other candidates in the boardroom where there were 14 positions with 14 desktop computers running the CAD application Software

The exercise was a all day event for 6 hours of basic CAD learning from the basics . When the 6 hours and 30 mins lunch had concluded we had to construct as many motorcycle components as we could within 45 mins time limit to be assessed .
    The best ones would get the role I assume.
    Candidates in the assessment were at all different strengths some with no experience at all some with 3 years experience.

I felt like there should have been a interview to get to know the attributes they wanted from the candidates but it was a interesting process

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinckley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Triumph Motorcycles (Hinckley, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Assessment centre of 4 people, group task followed by a factory tour ending in an interview. Only 2 of us got an interview based on task performance.
    There were also competency based questions based on previous experience displayed in CV and attributes they were looking for.