Trulia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trulia Interview Questions

Updated May 29, 2017

2.6

Engineering Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trulia in April 2016.

Interview

Recruiter kept stressing about one tool as important for the PM job requirement and seems didn't care about other experience and he cut my conversation while I was go over my experience. I'm surprised with start ups stressing so much to know on how to use one tool where as other companies use zillion other PM tools to work on. Totally didn't expect this and disappointed with the interview and the job requirement.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trulia (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Interview process was pretty straightforward. A 30 minute phone screen to start with followed by a two and a half hour in person interview. There were 3 45 minute segments: front-end, back-end, and a semi-techincal interview with the hiring manager. The Front End questions were very heavily tilted toward javascript knowledge whereas the Back End questions favored PHP knowledge. In both cases a general and broad knowledge of the language and it's features would be very helpful.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions was how to randomize an array using PHP. Super easy. But you'll get bonus points if you shrug and point out you can use the shuffle() function internal to PHP. (They will, obviously, ask you to implement you own solution as well)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trulia (Denver, CO) in January 2016.

Interview

After a 30 minute phone interview I was invited to an on site interview the following day. It was the most unprofessional interview I have ever had. She was almost ten minutes late and the whole thing only lasted about 15 minutes. She was clearly in a bad mood and did not want to anything to do with it. She asked me about 5 simple questions that I had no problem answering. When it got to the point for me to ask questions, I asked "what are some challenges people in this position deal with?" She said "not being bored." Why would anybody want to work in a position like that? For a company that claims to be "buzzing" and "innovative," I would hope their employees would have better things to say about it.

Interview Questions

Trulia Response

Feb 1, 2016 – Zillow Representative

Hello, and thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry you had a negative interview experience. This is a new team for us, and we’ve grown the department quickly in the past 6 months. With rapid... More

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Trulia (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

They invite interns for a whole day interview (10am - 5pm)
    Two main components of the interview.

Part 1:
    20 min 1 on 1 interview with a senior software engineer. The questions were very broad, and basically involved some of your past works, basic questions about how the infrastructure works (i.e how does a web-server deliver the webpage to you). I didn't have any algorithm or coding problems, but some of the other interns did have a few algorithm question. It seems to be very group dependent.

Part 2:
    Group project and presentation. 2 hours to come up with a solution and presentation to a very broad problem. You are put into smaller groups of 3-4 individuals and you'll have to come up with a creative way to tackle their problem. The general questions seems to be very product based (rather than super technical). After 2 hours, your group presents your proposed solution in the form of a product. (What is the MVP, how will you gather the data, what is the value for the company or the customer, etc etc)

Interview Questions

• Consider the current search experience in looking for a house on Trulia. How would you improve the home search experience for Trulia? What other data would you include, and how would you present it to the user?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trulia (Denver, CO) in January 2016.

Interview

After the 30 minute phone pre screening I had an on site interview which lasted about 40 minutes the next day. Once your interviewer meets you they walk you through the hip office filled with snacks, standing desks and bike racks. My interview was casual and more of a conversation.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing your manager would say you can improve on?   Answer Question

Principal Data Warehouse Interview

Interview

I was contacted by a technical recruiter on LinkedIn and they connected me to recruiter at Trulia. The process went very quick. I attended a phone interview and a week later i was invited for an in person interview.
    Met with couple of architects, developers and VP of technology. Lot of white boarding to discuss architecture. Few Sql questions, few Hadoop Hive and sqoop questions.
    Overall it was a good experience

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trulia (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Fairly straightforward process if you've interviewed at a SV tech company before. Recruiter call, phone screen with lead engineer, code challenge, on site interview, offer. Code challenge was fun. On site interview was with 3 engineers, the team lead, and project manager. Start to finish, 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• API design, general questions related to the technology they are using, logic problems/whiteboarding, detailed discussion of past work. Behavioral and culture fit questions. A lot of it was very conversational and less stressful than I've experienced in the past. No trick questions, ego, or other BS you often encounter in your typical engineering interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Accepted offer with no negotiation. Offer was far better than I had been negotiating up for at other companies.

Customer Engagement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trulia (Denver, CO) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied and was phone interviewed a couple of days later l. The phone interview was easy and very professional.... I was asked for a in person interview. I was interview by two people, the first guy was very friendly and the interview with him was fun, comfortable and friendly. The second guy I have no idea who he was he just came in didn't interview himself and the first thing he said was.. "I have 10 minutes for this interview". I felt like I was not welcomed and like he had to interview me because he was forced into it. The interview with him didn't even last the 10 minutes. I walked out of there confused and up to this day I have no idea who that male was. I was very excited for the opportunity but I feel like the second guy didn't even gave me a chance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Trulia (Centennial, CO) in July 2015.

Interview

It was very quick. First a phone interview and than an in-person interview—all over about 4 days. The job description for the position was incredibly vague and full of buzz words, which made me nervous, but I took the interview out of curiosity.

The process itself was alight. They put me in a room and one guy came in and asked a few questions. He left and then another guy came in and asked nearly the exact same questions again. They seemed very hurried, and I found out in the interview that they were doing a massive hire for this position (like 30 people).

I felt a little duped because the job was essentially a call-center job. They never use those words, but they knew and I knew that was what the position essentially was.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you with the idea of being on a phone for up to 8 hours a day?   Answer Question

Trulia Response

Oct 6, 2015 – Zillow Representative

Hello, thank you for the feedback, we greatly appreciate it. I’m sorry your interviewing experience wasn’t favorable; we definitely strive for an amazing candidate experience every time. Currently... More

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Trulia (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Connected with the recruiter on LinkedIn. Two phone screens, followed by the onsite. It seems like they were searching for a specific person, like Senior Software Engineer in Search with specific set of skills. I clearly mentioned that I am not a senior engineer, but their questions were more focused on the experience with Solr.

Interview Questions

• Phone: Get the top N queries that are read from log, sorted by time.
      Onsite: How to implement a system of house recommendations such as Trulia.
      Solr specific questions.   1 Answer