Twitter Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Twitter Data Scientist Interview Questions

3.4

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitter.

Interview

HR set me up with technical interview, no HR screening. The interview was very bad, the guy was super inexperienced. I had really hard time understanding his question, and the coding part is even worse. I was interrupted every 1 min, couldn't code at all as this person interrupted me with something when I started write the code. Also he doesn't know the language I was coding.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Twitter

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Twitter in September 2016.

Interview

I was supposed to have a 45 minute technical coding screen but the guy was booked too tightly and only had 20 minutes (told me this at the beginning of the call). So instead of a technical coding screen it turned into a series of random business case style interview questions. Overall a pretty terrible - no wonder Twitter is plummeting as a company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted fairly quickly after applying online. I didn't find any of the interview questions very hard. What struck me was the type of questions: how-do-you-solve/do-xyz, where xyz is specific. Nowadays it seems any job involves data analysis is called data scientist. As a statistician, my job search 95% of the time led me to data scientist position postings. In the pre-data-science period, statistician interviewers were composed of at least half internal data customers from various domains. They wanted to know how I can help them achieve their research or business goals with data. In contrast, all of my data scientist interviewers (not just at Twitter) were younger and more computing savvy data analysts from quantitative background. They wanted to know if I know how to do xyz, where xyz is something they themselves have encountered. This difference is important for candidate and employers of data scientist.

Interview Questions

• What features would you use to build recommendation algorithm for users.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter in April 2016.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me to do a phone interview. It is all about technical questions and programming skills. The whole process is doing a study case of the Hypothesis test. The Hypothesis is like "Following" your followers back increases the number of "likes" you receive on your tweets

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied in Twitter by forwarding my resume to a HR whom I met in a conference. Since, I live in India and I applied for Twitter, San Francisco, the whole process took close to 2 months. There were total 10 rounds of interviews.

The first round was with Product Manager which was more like a exploratory round. He mainly asked domain specific question to see whether I would be a good fit in his team.
    The next three rounds were conducted in a span of three weeks. The questions were mainly related to Machine Learning, Statistics with focus on experimentation, Algorithms.

After 4 rounds, the team decided to conduct remaining interviews on-site, but due to visa issues I had to give remaining 6 interviews online on a single day. The questions were mainly based on Algorithms ( 4 rounds ), Machine Learning and Statistics.

Reason for rejection : Coding rounds did not went well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

phone interview with hiring manager, got onsite invitation the same day
    onsite, meet with 6 engineers. one's data scientist, all others are software engineer.
    algorithm question mostly, some machine learning question, math/application case.
    also, one system design question. how large scale machine learning work on distributed system

positive feedback, went through hiring committee. However, no offer yet. They're cutting jobs, so bad timing!

Interview Questions

• algorithm(50%), machine learning(30%), system design(20%)   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Twitter in March 2015.

Interview

It was a fair interview process with multiple phone screens, case study and on-site. Team was very high-caliber and had a diverse background. Phone screens and case study involved problems related to the role. Disappointed however with the recruiter and the company in that they didn't have the courtesy of responding to me with a decision after the interview at all.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Twitter in February 2015.

Interview

Firstly applied for Software Engineer Intern because they said they will not have Data Scientist Intern this year.
    1. Online code challenge (easy).
    2. 45-minute on-campus interview about previous CS projects, a white-board coding problem.
    Then they reassigned me to the "non-existing" Data Scientist Intern application after this round.
    3. 45-minute phone interview about a dynamical programming question, plus some brain storms about user modeling.
    4. 3 45-minute on-site interviews of a composition of coding, stats, machine learning, algorithm and previous experience.
    5. Got the offer.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Twitter in March 2014.

Interview

I was introduced by a former employee and had a very long interview process. I had an online coding interview which was pretty easy. After that I had one coding and one data science interview. Then came the on-site interview which was two back-to-back data science/coding interviews on Skype. The process took so long (about 2 months since the first contact) that they told me that there are no positions left in Data Science team but they introduced me to Data Visualization team. I had 3 interviews with Data Visualization teams.
    In overall, while the interview process was frustrating, all the interviews that I had was great source of learning. So many interesting people are working on Twitter and it'd be nice to get a chance to work along them.

Interview Questions

• I cannot disclose any question but the coding questions were quite common questions. The data science questions however was very challenging and of course interesting. They talked about some of the active projects that they are doing and asked me how I would solve some of the issues that they are facing right now. While the questions are open-ended (they are still trying to solve them themselves), you should be able to come with a reasonable solution and justify your answer. For the data visualization team, common questions are like "Suppose you want to visualize this scenario, what method would you use and why?". There were also some questions on basic of computer graphics which I was not very familiar with, but answered them anyway.   Answer Question

The offer came really late (around Mid-May for an internship starting on June!) and I already accepted another offer. The compensation was also lower than other big tech companies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online via the website. I was contacted promptly for a HR phone screen. This screen included basic personality tests. I then had two technical phone screens, both of which included collaborative coding, probability questions and algorithmic problems. I was invited onsite for the final set of interviews. I met with five data scientist and one data manager. All of them asked whiteboard coding / ML theory / algorithms questions. I received little information regarding the work life at Twitter.