Twitter Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 28, 2018

3.4

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Twitter in September 2016.

Interview

I was supposed to have a 45 minute technical coding screen but the guy was booked too tightly and only had 20 minutes (told me this at the beginning of the call). So instead of a technical coding screen it turned into a series of random business case style interview questions. Overall a pretty terrible - no wonder Twitter is plummeting as a company

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Twitter

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitter.

Interview

HR set me up with technical interview, no HR screening. The interview was very bad, the guy was super inexperienced. I had really hard time understanding his question, and the coding part is even worse. I was interrupted every 1 min, couldn't code at all as this person interrupted me with something when I started write the code. Also he doesn't know the language I was coding.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter in November 2017.

Interview

3 weeks after I applied, I received a link to a coding challenge. This link is set automatically so you don't have anyone to talk to in case you have questions. You have one week to complete the challenge but it's supposed to be done in 90 minutes if you want to get through.

Interview Questions

• Three exercises. One involving SQL, another one involving dynamic programming and one last involving tries.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online. The process took about a month. 2 phone interviews with HR managers, test and personal interview with team members (It took about 3 hours). Free lunch was served and people were friendly.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter.

Interview

I got contacted by a recruiter and had 4 interview rounds. 1 phone screen, 2 video technical interview (ML Theory + Coding in SQL/Python/R, you decide the language), then an on-site interview round with 5 interviews of 45 minutes each (2 interviews with Data Scientists, lunch with another Data Scientist, an interview with a project manager and an interview with the Data Science Manager).

Everyone was very kind and very ethusiastic about their job, asked interesting and challenging questions and seemed very smart and capable.

As the Data Science position was for the product department, I had to face a lot of experimentation questions (A/B tests, metrics development...) instead of machine learning algorithms, which I imagine would be required for the Forecast and Modelling area, for example.

Interview Questions

• What would you change in Twitter app?
      How would you test if the proposed change is effective or not?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter in February 2018.

Interview

Two video interviews and a coding test, then three video interviews. Five of the six interviews were technical. All of the interviewers were knowledgeable and friendly, but they changed the schedule on the fly a lot and the different interviewers didn't seem to know what I'd already been asked/where I was in the process.

Interview Questions

• Some basic SQL questions and some intermediate algorithms questions, along with a lot of verbal data science questions in the interviews.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Twitter in February 2015.

Interview

Firstly applied for Software Engineer Intern because they said they will not have Data Scientist Intern this year.
    1. Online code challenge (easy).
    2. 45-minute on-campus interview about previous CS projects, a white-board coding problem.
    Then they reassigned me to the "non-existing" Data Scientist Intern application after this round.
    3. 45-minute phone interview about a dynamical programming question, plus some brain storms about user modeling.
    4. 3 45-minute on-site interviews of a composition of coding, stats, machine learning, algorithm and previous experience.
    5. Got the offer.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Twitter in March 2015.

Interview

It was a fair interview process with multiple phone screens, case study and on-site. Team was very high-caliber and had a diverse background. Phone screens and case study involved problems related to the role. Disappointed however with the recruiter and the company in that they didn't have the courtesy of responding to me with a decision after the interview at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

phone interview with hiring manager, got onsite invitation the same day
    onsite, meet with 6 engineers. one's data scientist, all others are software engineer.
    algorithm question mostly, some machine learning question, math/application case.
    also, one system design question. how large scale machine learning work on distributed system

positive feedback, went through hiring committee. However, no offer yet. They're cutting jobs, so bad timing!

Interview Questions

• algorithm(50%), machine learning(30%), system design(20%)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied in Twitter by forwarding my resume to a HR whom I met in a conference. Since, I live in India and I applied for Twitter, San Francisco, the whole process took close to 2 months. There were total 10 rounds of interviews.

The first round was with Product Manager which was more like a exploratory round. He mainly asked domain specific question to see whether I would be a good fit in his team.
    The next three rounds were conducted in a span of three weeks. The questions were mainly related to Machine Learning, Statistics with focus on experimentation, Algorithms.

After 4 rounds, the team decided to conduct remaining interviews on-site, but due to visa issues I had to give remaining 6 interviews online on a single day. The questions were mainly based on Algorithms ( 4 rounds ), Machine Learning and Statistics.

Reason for rejection : Coding rounds did not went well.