Twitter Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 11, 2017

3.1

194 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitter in September 2017.

Interview

I applied at the beginning of August for a scholarship to go to the Grace Hopper conference with Twitter and said I was interested in an internship as well. At the end of August, I was contacted by a recruiter who said they wanted to interview me for the fellowship and internship. She told me to make sure I also applied through the regular intern application and complete the HackerRank challenge which I already had. Scheduled a ~30 minute initial interview with an engineering manager about a week later that got postponed a few days due to some unforeseen conflicts on their side. Found out a couple days later I moved on to the final interviews which were a week after my initial one. The final interviews are 3 interviews, 2 technical and 1 behaviorial with various members of the team. I got 2 leetcode medium questions both dealing with strings. I messed up the first one a bit, but got the second one entirely. All interviews were video chats through Google Hangouts and the coding was done via CodePair. A few days after my interview I found out I got an offer!!

Interview Questions

• 2 leetcode medium questions, so focus mostly on leetcode problems to prepare I'd say   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Twitter

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitter in September 2017.

Interview

OA, three questions
    1.sum of subarray 2.delete substrings 3.longest increasing subsequence lc300
    I applied online, it seems like Twitter will give OA to everyone who applied
    there are too many question sample online to refer

Interview Questions

• 1. sum of subarrays   1 Answer
    • 2.delete substrings , I use brute -force but it is easy to timeout   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Twitter in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through an employee referral, got an online hackerrank challenge. Completed it two weeks ago. No updates yet. From what I've heard, after successfully submitting online challenge, interviewee'r profiles are added to a common pool where teams select some of them for an interview.

Interview Questions

• A 2d matrix DP problem, longest contiguous sub array whose sum is less than k.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process overall was very good. Was a unique experience. A take home code review question was given after clearing the 2 phone interviews.

Phone interview - 2 of them. Standard leetcode (medium level)
    Onsite -
    3 interviews - 2 technical ( 1hr 45min long), 1 lunch (45min), 1 HM interview (1hr 30min long)
    Interview 1 - 1 leetcode hard, code review question, design and scalability question
    Interview 2 - 1 leetcode medium, another question that I haven't seen (cant say more cause of NDA) - would rate as leetcode hard.
    Interview 3 - HM drilled me down and asked all sorts of questions. Was a very exhausting process, but I guess they do it find the best match.

Note: Be sure to prepare for system design very well. These guys drill you down on it.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I originally had 3 back-to-back interviews, but because of the schedule of some of the employers, mine ended up not being completely back-to-back. Interviewers asked pretty standard questions and were very helpful in hinting and explaining problems. Overall the process was very smooth. Have not yet decided if I will accept the offer yet.

Interview Questions

• Given two lists, return a list of elements that appear in both.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitter (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

received the OA test7 after apply on the website, there are three questions in total. And the first problem is about SQL. After submitted the on line test, nothing happened just wait.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitter in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online through their university recruiting site. I was sent a coding challenge where I had a week to finish it once I opened the test, but they wanted you to finish in around 90 minutes. There were 3 questions - 1 SQL, 1 Dynamic Programming, and another general CS question. I completed in about 2 hours and I didn't hear back.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitter in August 2017.

Interview

I received an online assessment from recruiter, the first question is to check if a bracket is valid. the second one is about the simple sort problem, I just used quick-sort, and the last one is to find out one qualified substring in one given string, I used O(n^2) method, while the better solution should be O(n) with KMP algorithm.

Interview Questions

• I didn't get phone interview , after online assessment, there wasn't any further steps.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitter in June 2017.

Interview

In a single day I got email from 2 recruiters from different teams.Started the process with one of the team ( As twitter has a policy that you cannot interview with 2 teams at the same time).Initial phone screen with the recruiter and then she told me a coding exercise will be sent to you which should take around 3 hours to complete. I completed the challenge in perfect time and optimized the code a lot and solved the problem completely. I was pretty sure I will make it to the next round, but after 2-3 days the recruiter sent me an email that she didnt not receive a positive feedback from the team.I was really shocked and asked for some feedback.
    Recruiter was really good as she took some time to provide me feedback(which no company does).She told me review was " Problem was solved completely and outputs were correct" but the person does not have OOPS skills and knowledge.I was shocked to read this as no where in the problem was specified that I have to use OOPS concepts and had freedom to code in any language(I choose python) . I am not sure how can you judge a person on OOPS skills even when I didn't even use OOPS concepts in my code. I could have easily coded that In JAVA if they wanted me to judge on that.

Interview Questions

• Coding exercise of a feature that Twitter already has in production.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitter in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online through the twitters job site. Recruiter reached out to me and we had a fantastic conversation. We set up a technical phone interview for couple of days later.

This is where things started to get bad. First of all, interviewer had a very cocky and unimpressed attitude. When talking about one of my projects he had a lot of condescending questions. Secondly, he refused to indicate what solution he wanted to get out of the questions he asked. You know how they say "Interviewers want you to succeed."? That certainly did not feel true going through this call. And thirdly, please don't use speaker phone and sit meters away from it. An interview isn't going well when I have to keep asking you to repeat your question.

I am glad however that I had this experience. It's always nice to weed out potential team members who you know you wouldn't get along with (I am sure in his own way he felt the same). I like teammates who are smart yet stay humble.

Don't be condescending to your candidates. You are coming in with all the context and existing knowledge possible to your interview question. The candidate does not have that luxury.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that returns a random element from a list. What happens when there's another thread writing to this list and you want to make get_random threadsafe?   1 Answer
    • How do you get a random line from a large file   1 Answer