Twitter Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 27, 2017

3.1

184 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Twitter.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me, and setup a phone interview with him first. Then I got a phone interview with someone from the team. Only did one hard question for 1 hour, about 24 Game. With his help, I was able to walk through the code.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Twitter

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitter in June 2017.

Interview

In a single day I got email from 2 recruiters from different teams.Started the process with one of the team ( As twitter has a policy that you cannot interview with 2 teams at the same time).Initial phone screen with the recruiter and then she told me a coding exercise will be sent to you which should take around 3 hours to complete. I completed the challenge in perfect time and optimized the code a lot and solved the problem completely. I was pretty sure I will make it to the next round, but after 2-3 days the recruiter sent me an email that she didnt not receive a positive feedback from the team.I was really shocked and asked for some feedback.
    Recruiter was really good as she took some time to provide me feedback(which no company does).She told me review was " Problem was solved completely and outputs were correct" but the person does not have OOPS skills and knowledge.I was shocked to read this as no where in the problem was specified that I have to use OOPS concepts and had freedom to code in any language(I choose python) . I am not sure how can you judge a person on OOPS skills even when I didn't even use OOPS concepts in my code. I could have easily coded that In JAVA if they wanted me to judge on that.

Interview Questions

• Coding exercise of a feature that Twitter already has in production.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitter in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online through the twitters job site. Recruiter reached out to me and we had a fantastic conversation. We set up a technical phone interview for couple of days later.

This is where things started to get bad. First of all, interviewer had a very cocky and unimpressed attitude. When talking about one of my projects he had a lot of condescending questions. Secondly, he refused to indicate what solution he wanted to get out of the questions he asked. You know how they say "Interviewers want you to succeed."? That certainly did not feel true going through this call. And thirdly, please don't use speaker phone and sit meters away from it. An interview isn't going well when I have to keep asking you to repeat your question.

I am glad however that I had this experience. It's always nice to weed out potential team members who you know you wouldn't get along with (I am sure in his own way he felt the same). I like teammates who are smart yet stay humble.

Don't be condescending to your candidates. You are coming in with all the context and existing knowledge possible to your interview question. The candidate does not have that luxury.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that returns a random element from a list. What happens when there's another thread writing to this list and you want to make get_random threadsafe?   1 Answer
    • How do you get a random line from a large file   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

One phone screen with the team lead, then a coding assignment, and then onsites with the team. The recruiter was pretty quick to respond, and the whole team was great to work with. The negotiation process was very smooth.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter in February 2017.

Interview

Process involved a one hour technical interview (over Google hangout), which went well. Next round was a 3 hr. interview, two technical, one behavioral, which went ok. Didn't get an offer, I guess the candidate pool was pretty competitive

Interview Questions

• How would you implement Depth First Search for a graph?   1 Answer
    • 2 Eggs, 100 Floors question   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Interviewer was 5 minutes late to the interview and he said he was startled by some news just before the interview. Not so enjoyable, had to debug some code and fix it.

Interview Questions

• Debug code and fix it on a online tool which is not great for debugging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitter (New York, NY).

Interview

Very slow interview process. After nearly two months, I just received a "decision" email asking to complete a survey. Probably going to have to wait until the end of March for another "decision" email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Twitter (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

applied through website and got contacted 2 month later for video call. Problems were fairly easy and we discussed about some projects I had done. They asked some questions around scala and spark.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitter (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

University Recruiter invited to Coding Challenge via email. 3 questions, 1 SQL and 2 you could program in the language of your liking. Didn't like platform though, program worked for me but not in their compiler, so there wasn't much I could do to fix anything.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Twitter.

Interview

Applied online, got hackerrank test and passed all test cases. Got a reply saying the application decisions will be released in December 21. The test was not hard and gave a lot of time. The decisions seem to come out quite late.