Two Sigma Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Two Sigma Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2017

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

I received a link to a coding challenge that was fairly easy. 3 hours were given which was more than enough time. The interviewer seemed very friendly and knowledgeable. It did seem from the experience that they were not looking to hire a standard new grad software engineer but rather someone with a focused skillset in machine learning.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Two Sigma

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Two Sigma in February 2017.

Interview

I was given a programming question on Hacker Rank. I completed both questions (passed all the test cases) with an hour to spare. I also made sure to include a lot of comments to explain my code. A day later I received an email saying that I was rejected. I feel really disrespected as a candidate because if I spent 2 hours of my Saturday night and solved both problems, I deserve at least a phone interview before being rejected. If I was already going to be rejected due to something on my resume, why even bother giving me a coding challenge?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Had and online coding assessment. Then interviewed at the headquarter in New York City. The onsite interview was 3 hours in the morning with three different developers, after which I was taken to lunch. Then I was told I couldn't advance to the afternoon round. Very nice experience as a candidate overall. Nice hotel. Even got some gifts from the recruiters.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Please notice that passing Two Sigma's Onsite Interview means nothing.
    I passed the onsite with all "very positive" reviews. Move on to get two references.
    Then got a phone call saying the positions are almost full. So I'm not being considered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

First coding challenge then phone interview (both technical and behavioral) then onsite interview: 3hrs of technical interviews then lunch then behavioral. They tell you if you keep going in the interview process after lunch.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The process is they email you saying they are interested. You email back and set a time for a call. Then you talk to HR. They tell you how great it is and send you a code test on HackerRank. You solve it and then have a phone interview. If you pass that you are flown to New York where they put you in the SoHo Grand Hotel. The day of the interview you arrive and are taken to a room where you stay while interviewers come to you. They ask tough questions in the morning, from 9-12:30, typically three different interviewers with two questions each. Then you go to lunch. When you come back they either tell you you have passed or that you struggled too much but have a good background please reapply etc. If you don't pass you wander the city until your flight and save the expenses for reimbursement. If you pass you continue on to three less technical interviews and then maybe one more with HR.

Interview Questions

• Coding challenge: 1. You are given a matrix of Ys and Ns where a Y at (i,j) denotes that persons i and j are friends. Friendships are transitive, so if A is a friend of B is a friend of C, then A is in the same a friend circle as C even if A doesn't know C directly. How many friend circles are there? It's really a disjoint sets problem. 2. You are given a list of strings. Removing a letter from any string yields a different string that may or may not exist in the list as an independent entity. This is one link of a "string chain". Find the longest chain in the array. Solved with a hashtable.

Interview day: 1. Code a function that matches regular expressions with targets. There is a DP and a recursive solution. 2. Test it extensively in a main. Write a function to autogenerate test cases. 3. Code a postfix notation calculator. Doable with a stack. Now, what if you wanted to support arbitrary operations on some variable number of preceding numbers? How does the code change? 4. You are given a tree in the form of a list of (value, parentndx, intree) tuples, where intree is a boolean denoting whether the node is in the tree, and parentndx is the location in the list of the parent node of this node. The root's parent is -1. Write a function remove(ndx) that removes the node at that ndx and all its children in O(n). It requires caching which nodes have been visited and a recursive function that checks whether a node in the list should be removed (terminates on parentndx==-1 || ndx or when it finds a cached node that was already removed and visited). 5. You are given two infinite streams of data, where each datum has fields (timestamp, value). The streams have a single function take() that pops the oldest thing off and returns it or "blocks" until something arrives in the queue for it to return. Data might arrive much later than its timestamp. You are given a function output(a,b), which takes two values, one from each stream, and computes something. You want to call output() on all (a,b) pairs that have timestamps less than some given interval apart, and you want to do this as soon as any data that completes such a pair arrives. Construct pseudocode that will do this. The answer involves two threads that each manage a list of numbers pulled off their stream, pull a number from the other thread's list, try to match it against everything, and then carefully discard data when appropriate. 6. You are managing a webservice and get a complaint about the page loading slowly. What is a possible cause of the problem? How would you check that? Okay, say that's not the problem. What else could it be?
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter followed by a coding challenge and an onsite interview day that took about 7 hours. I had an amazing time during all my interviews - there are some very smart, creative and collaborative people at this company. My recruiter was also amazing and I never had trouble reaching them. I went in not thinking I was likely to take an offer if given to me, and left just extremely impressed with the company and the people I met :).

This whole process went wrong when that I was told I had an offer (that still needed to be officially approved) and then again told 20 days later that they actually under estimated how many people would accept their new grad offers and they would have to retract their offers that had not yet been processed into writing. During this 20 days I had declined an offer from a good company and not sent in any applications because I was really happy with my position (and had already gone over salary/benefits with my recruiter). My recruiter felt really bad about it - and they were great - so my guess is this is coming from higher up where someone who was disconnected from us lowly new grads didn't feel like it was bad for us entry-levels to take the hit from their (two sigma's) risky choices.

If you want to work here, I'd still say go for it! I had a blast at my interviews and was so happy when the hiring committee approved me. This made the disappointment much worse than it would have been if it did not seem like a good place to work. On the other hand, if you do decide to apply and end up being told that you will get an offer make sure to continue to go full force in your applications until you have signed a document, because they won't hesitate to use their legal right to go back on their words.

Just in case you were concerned, I am now hired at one of the tech giants and looking forward to the future :).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Two Sigma (Sugar Land, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Most useless interview process. Same questions always. Friend circles and string compression. They take forever with no feedback. Accepted another offer before they got back. One of the worst I have faced in my life.

Time taking.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

First an HR phone screen, then a coding assessment, then a phone interview. After the phone interview, they told me they'd get back to me in a week. After a week, I emailed them asking about my application status and also requested that I'd like to expedite my interview process since I had an offer, but I never heard back from them. Emailed the recruiter many times. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Pros/cons of merge sort and quick sort   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

A call from recruiter, then an online test followed by a semi-technical interview.

The online code test was fairly challenging, so prepare! One week after the online test, I get an email from a second person that we would like to set up a phone call interview. This new person was terrible. He was very slow and ignoring my emails most of the time. Finally after a lot of followups I could set a time for the phone interview. But guess what, no one called! I followed up with the person that I was in contact with and he never replied! So I emailed the first person I was in contact with, and he responded that sorry, the engineer got busy and couldn't call you, we will set up another time for you! Then after that no news for one week even after multiple followups. Any how, they finally set up the phone interview and seems like I didn't do a good job in that one. The engineer was very nice and the questions he was asking was fairly easy. No coding though.

I have got rejected before from couple companies, but never felt bad. But with two sigma, I really felt upset. Not because I got rejected, because they treated me bad. I think the recruiting department at two sigma should review their process. They need to be more professional and treat candidates better.

Interview Questions

• Find median of a data stream, what is the difference between process and thread, design pattern questions.   1 Answer