TxDOT Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 19, 2017

2.2

Helpdesk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX).

Interview

Smooth and to the point. I was ask a series of questions based on my experience and I was hired the next day. Questions involved my experience in the networking/Helpdesk arena. I fortunately had been through every senario they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• If I was familiar with ticketing systems and expain.   1 Answer

Negotiation

What pay rate was I looking for and what was the lowest I could settle with.

Summer Engineering Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I got three interviews for the same position title but from difference departments of TXDOT by applying on line and referred by their employers. Two phone interviews, one on-site interviews, and I got a job offer for one of them. The first one was focus on managing school projects. I was phone interviewed with two females, and one of them was the hire manager. During the phone Interview, they asked my project background and my willingness to do the document for them. And I got a job offer of this one. The second one was more related to traffic engineering work, which required driving to the fields to check the traffic or road conditions. Later I was invited to have a 1:1 on-site interview. The hiring manager was pretty nice. He introduced himself and the main jobs of his group. Then he asked me about my background and my working desire. The last process was to go through the prepared behavior questions. The third one was related to forecasting prices of some transportation devices. The hiring manager phone interviewed me. He asked a lot of questions about my experience on a TXDOT project, which was done when I was in school.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your *** projects?
      Tell me about yourself.
      What is your disadvantage and advantage.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

hourly wage. I got another offer at the same time. The hire manager added the hourly wage for me and accelerated the process.

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Contacted me quickly after online application. The head geologist interviewed me. I was shown around the premises then brought to a conference room. It was a pleasant experience, although an odd interview. There were around 8 questions on a piece of paper that I was told to answer while the man transcribed what I said. I was able to go back at the end of the interview and add any information I felt necessary to each question.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle receiving a task to which you did not know how to handle?   Answer Question

Sumemr Engineering Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Especially compared to other employers of summer interns, the process was very late and thus could be used as a back-up plan. Postings for positions were not posted until March. An offer was made after resume submission even before an interview, but the phone interview was to determine the candidate's interests and match them to the best position.

Interview Questions

• What kind of role do you usually hold in teams (i.e, leader, coming up with new ideas. etc.)?   Answer Question

General Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX).

Interview

I'm aware this is government work, but the selection process does not need to be so rigid and structured. On the flip side, for being government they did move pretty fast once the position closed. I had a phone interview first which consisted of only 2 questions that were very structured. There was no room for questions on my behalf that the answer couldn't be pulled from the job posting. Strike #1. Got invited to an on-site interview which I was excited for and assumed I'd get a chance to ask more questions and get a feel for my working environment. Nope, didn't happen. Another 5 very structured questions where they just wrote the entire time, there was no interaction. Oddly enough, the interviewer never let the person who would be my boss speak. I tried to ask questions like a good candidate should but was basically shot down. They could only answer questions with language from the job posting. Got a call a few days later asking permission to call my current employer to verify employment.

Interview Questions

Unable to gauge my working environment and didn't feel they'd be a good fit for me.

Transportation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

I was greeted with a lock door and struggled to get anyone to answer the phone so the door could be unlocked. I tried knocking on the door. I was give a list of questions to study for a few minutes and then I started to answer.
    It seems like the questions were very straight forward but rating the answers could be very subjective.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your roadway experience.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Very easy going. I was told to show up the interview in casual attire, polo and jeans. I was asked to talk about myself just to get going. Then I was asked to talk about some of my experience working in the field as well as my work at school. I only interviewed for about an hour and then was shown around the office. After only that one interview I was offered a position about 2 weeks later pending a drug test and physical, because it is a state agency.

Transportation Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

I received a call from a newly promoted engineering supervisor calling me in for a position for which I had applied earlier in the week. As I had just started with another employer, I arranged for an after-hours interview about a week later.

The formal interview was rote- written questions, and interviewer spent time furiously transcribing my verbal answers, instead of conversing and observing body language. I tried to ask some questions of my own, to try to get a feel for the work and the business processes, but that didn't go very far. We got through all of the questions from the employer side, but I was cut short when the interviewer got a call after we had been talking a little less than 1 hour. I didn't get a chance to see any of the current projects, learn anything about workload & backlog, and being after-hours, didn't meet any of the rest of the team.

I got a call the next day expressing interest (and a few more calls over the next couple of weeks while references were checked), and a verbal offer about 3-1/2 weeks after the interview. No written offer was given. I declined the offer (it was very low), and countered with a compromise amount between the lowball offer and my current salary. The counter-offer was declined and the original offer repeated, with a short time to "take-it-or-leave-it".

Interview Questions

• N/A- the questions were all designed to probe level of experience/ expertise with job description requirements. Two of the six or seven questions were virtually identical in scope, only phrased differently.   Answer Question

Lowball offer, counter-offer which was well within advertised range was declined and lowball offer was repeated, unchanged, with a very short time to accept or decline (and no opportunity to learn more about the position or the work group).

In retrospect, I dodged a bullet when they declined my counter-offer. Based on behavior of the supervisor (and supposedly, his management), I would probably have been walking into a very unsatisfying workplace- and been taking a 10% pay cut for the privilege.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

Meet representative at a job fair and applied online. First had a brief phone interview and then an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between financial and managerial accounting?   Answer Question

Data Modeler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

Short hire meaning one interview. Phone interview, than in person interview. Interview lasted approximately one hour. Questions regarding data modeling only as what the job for. Interviewer not a modeler so way over her head - kinda like a deer in the headlights.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions or unexpected questions. Only technical questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation

State employment, no interview negotation.

Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
TxDOT Helpdesk Interview Austin, TX If I was familiar with ticketing systems and expain.
TxDOT Summer Engineering Tech Interview Austin, TX Tell me about your *** projects? Tell me about yourself. What is your disadvantage and advantage.
TxDOT Geologist Interview Austin, TX How would you handle receiving a task to which you did not know how to handle?
TxDOT Sumemr Engineering Tech Interview Austin, TX What kind of role do you usually hold in teams (i.e, leader, coming up with new ideas. etc.)?
TxDOT General Interview Austin, TX Honestly can't remember them, they were very long.
TxDOT Transportation Engineer Interview Austin, TX Talk about your roadway experience.
TxDOT Intern Interview Austin, TX How would you resolve a conflict, if one occurred.
TxDOT Transportation Engineer III Interview Austin, TX N/A- the questions were all designed to probe level of experience/ expertise with job description requirements. Two of the six or seven questions were virtually identical in scope, only phrased differently.
TxDOT Accountant Interview Austin, TX What is the difference between financial and managerial accounting?
TxDOT Data Modeler Interview Austin, TX No difficult questions or unexpected questions. Only technical questions asked.