TxDOT Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TxDOT Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2017

2.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT.

Interview

Pretty simple process with a 3-person panel. Questions are given in advance and candidates are given opportunity to look them over, think through answers. Answers are scored by each member of the panel and totaled after the process.

Interview Questions

• The question had something to do with my willingness to stay late in the event of an issue arising that would require my attention after hours.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TxDOT.

Interview

Pretty standard interview. Asked to go to main office. Interviewer asked typical behavioral question and also about my college experience and previous internships. Nothing technical and fairly standard.

I applied online and a few weeks later I received a phone call from TxDOT and they asked me to schedule an interview at the HQ.

Transportation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

I was greeted with a lock door and struggled to get anyone to answer the phone so the door could be unlocked. I tried knocking on the door. I was give a list of questions to study for a few minutes and then I started to answer.
    It seems like the questions were very straight forward but rating the answers could be very subjective.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your roadway experience.   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT.

Interview

Was relocating from California to Texas and interviewer was willing to do video conference as option for initial interview process. Initial interview was a panel interview where each person asked a range of questions to determine skill level. Interviewers were very polite and willing to answer any questions that I have about the requirements of the job.

Summer Engineering Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I got three interviews for the same position title but from difference departments of TXDOT by applying on line and referred by their employers. Two phone interviews, one on-site interviews, and I got a job offer for one of them. The first one was focus on managing school projects. I was phone interviewed with two females, and one of them was the hire manager. During the phone Interview, they asked my project background and my willingness to do the document for them. And I got a job offer of this one. The second one was more related to traffic engineering work, which required driving to the fields to check the traffic or road conditions. Later I was invited to have a 1:1 on-site interview. The hiring manager was pretty nice. He introduced himself and the main jobs of his group. Then he asked me about my background and my working desire. The last process was to go through the prepared behavior questions. The third one was related to forecasting prices of some transportation devices. The hiring manager phone interviewed me. He asked a lot of questions about my experience on a TXDOT project, which was done when I was in school.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your *** projects?
      Tell me about yourself.
      What is your disadvantage and advantage.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

hourly wage. I got another offer at the same time. The hire manager added the hourly wage for me and accelerated the process.

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Contacted me quickly after online application. The head geologist interviewed me. I was shown around the premises then brought to a conference room. It was a pleasant experience, although an odd interview. There were around 8 questions on a piece of paper that I was told to answer while the man transcribed what I said. I was able to go back at the end of the interview and add any information I felt necessary to each question.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle receiving a task to which you did not know how to handle?   Answer Question

Engineering Assistant III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT.

Interview

TxDOT's interviewing process is standardized. Each candidate gets exactly an hour to answer a set amount of questions. The questions were predetermined before the position was made available for the public to apply for it. Each question is scored to select the candidate to receive a job offer. The majority of the questions are typical interview questions: What classes have you taken, What experience do you have, Whats the most challenging problem that you have encountered, etc. After the typical interview questions, there was 1 or 2 simulation questions to test your basic knowledge of engineering. It could be look over a CAD drawing and state what you see, determine the flexural capacity of a concrete beam, or how to read a work schedule. Overall the interview was very straight forward.

Interview Questions

• Whats the most challenging problem that you have encountered and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Summer Engineering Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waco, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TxDOT (Waco, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was about about half an hour. During the interview my interviewer handed me a form with 5 questions which I had to answer verbally. My interviewer went through those question and made a note of how I answered. My interviewer took me around the construction and maintenance department to meet with other employees to find out my communication skills.

Equipment Mechanic IV Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laredo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Laredo, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

The interview consisted of one person asking questions and recording all of the responses so that it would get graded. It was a little intimidating since the person doing the interview was recording all responses word for word. Also, he would look up at you when you got quiet and that made it a little more nerve racking. Over all it was a good interview I just would have preferred an interview panel.

Engineer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online in late 2014 and got the call for an interview in early January. I was able to do a phone interview which was very direct and not tricky at all. I had one interview and was given a time period to hear back from my interviewer. The conversation was professional but very congenial. The interviewer gave enough room to share anything I felt was important about myself in regards to the position and encouraged questions. It was a very good experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe what steps you would take if you wanted to add shoulders to a blacktop road.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was really excited about the offer so I didn't really negotiate.