TxDOT Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TxDOT Interview Questions

Updated Feb 19, 2017

2.3

Interview

- Very informal interview, was called in to the office to talk to who would be my supervisor
    - Asked general questions about past work experience, knowledge of the field, etc.
    - Was told they'd let me know within a week or two

Negotiation

The hourly wage for a summer intern was based off of hours completed. As a junior with almost senior credits, I was paid about $12.50

Engineering Tech I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in May 2012.

Interview

Just talked to the head engineer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Welder Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (El Paso, TX) in December 2009.

Interview

no high school diploma required,did application passed a welding exam passed a driving license background check went to several unnecessary interviews no high school diploma needed for this work passed probationary period

Interview Questions

• when will i continue my high school graduation?   1 Answer

Negotiation

told my boss i would finish my high school diploma later

Engineering Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TxDOT (Dallas, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I was given an interview appointment over the phone and attended the interview. Questions were pretty easy. I was told I would hear back from them after two weeks. when I didn't hear back from them after two weeks and I sent an email inquiring the status of my interview result and there was no reply.

Interview Questions

• what skills do you bring for this position   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laredo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TxDOT (Laredo, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Just applied online and week later got a call from HR to find out where i was going to be working in the department and to ask me simple questions and tell me how much i was going to be making.

Helpdesk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX).

Interview

Smooth and to the point. I was ask a series of questions based on my experience and I was hired the next day. Questions involved my experience in the networking/Helpdesk arena. I fortunately had been through every senario they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• If I was familiar with ticketing systems and expain.   1 Answer

Negotiation

What pay rate was I looking for and what was the lowest I could settle with.

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TxDOT in May 2009.

Interview

They called me in, asked me questions about my experience and how much math I knew. They said mostly basic algebra was necessary.

Interview Questions

• What was an experience you've had working in the field.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Transportation Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

I received a call from a newly promoted engineering supervisor calling me in for a position for which I had applied earlier in the week. As I had just started with another employer, I arranged for an after-hours interview about a week later.

The formal interview was rote- written questions, and interviewer spent time furiously transcribing my verbal answers, instead of conversing and observing body language. I tried to ask some questions of my own, to try to get a feel for the work and the business processes, but that didn't go very far. We got through all of the questions from the employer side, but I was cut short when the interviewer got a call after we had been talking a little less than 1 hour. I didn't get a chance to see any of the current projects, learn anything about workload & backlog, and being after-hours, didn't meet any of the rest of the team.

I got a call the next day expressing interest (and a few more calls over the next couple of weeks while references were checked), and a verbal offer about 3-1/2 weeks after the interview. No written offer was given. I declined the offer (it was very low), and countered with a compromise amount between the lowball offer and my current salary. The counter-offer was declined and the original offer repeated, with a short time to "take-it-or-leave-it".

Interview Questions

• N/A- the questions were all designed to probe level of experience/ expertise with job description requirements. Two of the six or seven questions were virtually identical in scope, only phrased differently.   Answer Question

Lowball offer, counter-offer which was well within advertised range was declined and lowball offer was repeated, unchanged, with a very short time to accept or decline (and no opportunity to learn more about the position or the work group).

In retrospect, I dodged a bullet when they declined my counter-offer. Based on behavior of the supervisor (and supposedly, his management), I would probably have been walking into a very unsatisfying workplace- and been taking a 10% pay cut for the privilege.

Data Modeler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

Short hire meaning one interview. Phone interview, than in person interview. Interview lasted approximately one hour. Questions regarding data modeling only as what the job for. Interviewer not a modeler so way over her head - kinda like a deer in the headlights.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions or unexpected questions. Only technical questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation

State employment, no interview negotation.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TxDOT in January 2013.

Interview

You must pass a physical and drug screen, they then call you in for an interview in one of their conference rooms with the head of the department and or an assistant. Standard interview questions, tell us about your prior employment, why should we hire you, etc..

Interview Questions

• What assets would you bring to TXDOT if we hired you.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations, they either hire you or nor at the posted salary.