TxDOT Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 15, 2017

2.3

Civil Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Odessa, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Odessa, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process was a joke. Apparently once my resume was selected, I had already been chosen for the job. My "interview" was a formality. I arrived in a suit and tie, yet I was interviewed by an engineer in jeans and a golf shirt.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience in which you had a task or project to complete within a time limit. What were some problems you encountered? How did you resolve them? Did you complete the task?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT.

Interview

Pretty simple process with a 3-person panel. Questions are given in advance and candidates are given opportunity to look them over, think through answers. Answers are scored by each member of the panel and totaled after the process.

Interview Questions

• The question had something to do with my willingness to stay late in the event of an issue arising that would require my attention after hours.   1 Answer

Bridge Inspector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Euless, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Euless, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

There were two engineers asked me about my experience of working in fields and If I feel comfortable to get dirty while i was studying my PhD at that time.

Interview Questions

• I told i do not have any experience and I would like to learn new things and it does not matter if get dirty.   Answer Question

Helpdesk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX).

Interview

Smooth and to the point. I was ask a series of questions based on my experience and I was hired the next day. Questions involved my experience in the networking/Helpdesk arena. I fortunately had been through every senario they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• If I was familiar with ticketing systems and expain.   1 Answer

Negotiation

What pay rate was I looking for and what was the lowest I could settle with.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Corpus Christi, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Very structured, ask the same questions to all candidates for the job, and was scored depending on the response to the questions. It seemed like there were alot of applicants for the position. It helps if you know someone who works for the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what civil engineering is, Explain like you are telling someone who has no engineering experience.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TxDOT.

Interview

Pretty standard interview. Asked to go to main office. Interviewer asked typical behavioral question and also about my college experience and previous internships. Nothing technical and fairly standard.

I applied online and a few weeks later I received a phone call from TxDOT and they asked me to schedule an interview at the HQ.

Transportation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

I was greeted with a lock door and struggled to get anyone to answer the phone so the door could be unlocked. I tried knocking on the door. I was give a list of questions to study for a few minutes and then I started to answer.
    It seems like the questions were very straight forward but rating the answers could be very subjective.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your roadway experience.   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TxDOT.

Interview

Was relocating from California to Texas and interviewer was willing to do video conference as option for initial interview process. Initial interview was a panel interview where each person asked a range of questions to determine skill level. Interviewers were very polite and willing to answer any questions that I have about the requirements of the job.

Summer Engineering Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I got three interviews for the same position title but from difference departments of TXDOT by applying on line and referred by their employers. Two phone interviews, one on-site interviews, and I got a job offer for one of them. The first one was focus on managing school projects. I was phone interviewed with two females, and one of them was the hire manager. During the phone Interview, they asked my project background and my willingness to do the document for them. And I got a job offer of this one. The second one was more related to traffic engineering work, which required driving to the fields to check the traffic or road conditions. Later I was invited to have a 1:1 on-site interview. The hiring manager was pretty nice. He introduced himself and the main jobs of his group. Then he asked me about my background and my working desire. The last process was to go through the prepared behavior questions. The third one was related to forecasting prices of some transportation devices. The hiring manager phone interviewed me. He asked a lot of questions about my experience on a TXDOT project, which was done when I was in school.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your *** projects?
      Tell me about yourself.
      What is your disadvantage and advantage.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

hourly wage. I got another offer at the same time. The hire manager added the hourly wage for me and accelerated the process.

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TxDOT (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Contacted me quickly after online application. The head geologist interviewed me. I was shown around the premises then brought to a conference room. It was a pleasant experience, although an odd interview. There were around 8 questions on a piece of paper that I was told to answer while the man transcribed what I said. I was able to go back at the end of the interview and add any information I felt necessary to each question.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle receiving a task to which you did not know how to handle?   Answer Question