U-Haul Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.3

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at U-Haul (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied on-line at U-Haul career webpage and recieved a phone screen interview call. the phone screen interview was 30 min. were I was interviewed by the finance recruiter of the firm. I was asked behavioral questions along with skill set questions.

Interview Questions

• Q: what are your strenghts and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U-Haul (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2017.

Interview

First off, the Director couldn't make it (maybe they had decided they weren't going to hire me?) so just the Manager was there to do the interview. I'm in social media so obviously, I researched the guy before I came in. I was shocked but not surprised to find him putting his political opinion out on his FB page for even people that weren't his "friends" to see. Oh yes, his love for Trump was obvious and he wanted everyone to know. I went for the interview anyway, knowing I could probably never work for someone that was so...clueless. He should have known better. The interview was easy - it was as he already knew he wasn't going to hire me so he was just thinking of random questions to ask to get through the interview. Go check out their social media following and you will find it is rather small considering the manager told me he had been at it for nearly 7 years.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U-Haul (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2017.

Interview

They wanted my SSN up front, which I found alarming. After reaching out to the recruiter who had sent me a link to their application after I had applied from a third party site, she (with an equally alarming lack of grammar and tact) said they couldn't go any further in the interview process if I wouldn't enter my social security number into their database. To be clear, I wasn't under the impression I was being scammed -- I just found it out of the ordinary as a policy to require that upfront when we hadn't advanced through the interview/negotiation process. I would have been perfectly willing to provide it later on in the process for any necessary background checks, etc.

So I offered to provide my resume for a second time and to set up time for an in person or over the phone interview. This was again denied, with the recruiter's response essentially having been copied and pasted from my and her prior correspondence. Extremely unprofessional, and this immediately provided me all of the information I needed on why I wouldn't want to work here.

Interview Questions

• Why won't you provide your social security number?   1 Answer

Social Media Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at U-Haul (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Very slow process. Whole thing took almost a month. Applied per suggestion of a recruiter, phone interview, basic skills test and prep interview with recruiter, then in person interview with the manager. Talking with the recruiter was great and really allowed for my passion for the company shine . The interview was only with the manager because the director couldn't make it. I thought it went well but he kept not asking questions and saying 'I think I know the answer already'. Don't think he even looked me up online or on my website like the recruiter said he would. Told me I would hear back by the end of the following week. Didn't hear anything until the week after and 2 emails later. Love the company but disappointed with the whole interview process with the manager.

Local Search Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U-Haul.

Interview

Applied online through LinkedIn. Got setup with an initial phone screening. After that I went in person to take personality and knowledge assessments and met with the recruiter which was pretty easy. My second interview the following week was with the team lead and a senior member, they were both very nice and asked a lot of the same basic interview questions digging into my experience and fit. The last interview was with the department director who was like all the other interviewers, very nice and easy to talk to but with a lot more questions more aimed at my expectations, aspirations, and life in general.

I felt and was told by recruiter that all 3 interviews went well and that they just had to finish interviewing the other candidates before a final decision in a week or so. Well after a week and a half of waiting, I followed up reiterating my interest in the role and company and asking about my job status. The response was that no decision was made yet and to wait. I followed up again another week later and was told pretty much the same exact response that no decision was made and I'm still in consideration. In fact that's all I was ever told, never got an offer or a rejection.

Assistant Manager/Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abilene, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at U-Haul (Abilene, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

I found the listing for the job online. I went into the store and asked for the manager to introduce myself. The manager was not available. I asked an associate if they were hiring. I was told that he didn't think so, but was I sure I wanted a job there, and asked if I knew about trailers. I told him "yes." He was casually leaned up on the counter, he looked me up and down and then asked if I realized trailers were heavy. As a woman, I was a little shocked to be mansplained about the weight of a trailer. I didn't have any idea that my sex had any bearing on my ability to perform the job for which I was applying. I told him that yes, I realized they are heavy and that I had spent almost 20 years in the construction industry and was very familiar with trailers. He stood up, started taking me seriously, and informed me that the Assistant Manager was leaving in a few months and they were probably trying to replace him. He then introduced me to the Assistant Manager. I asked him if they were hiring and he looked me up and down, licked his lips with his too long mustache hair curling over them, and told me no. I asked him if he thought they would have a position available in the future and he told me no. It has been two weeks and the positions are still posted on Indeed and Texas Workforce Commission and U-Haul's corporate site. I am in my forties and spent the majority of my adult life working in a male dominated field and I have never until that day felt that I was discriminated against because of my sex. U-haul should be ashamed and should definitely provide some training to their employees regarding fair hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• Didn't get that far because I have breasts.   1 Answer

Area Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U-Haul (Dallas, TX).

Interview

In-depth description of job responsibilities and what a day today activity would be for that position. Also questioned about my work history and about me. He gave a good picture of what the job responsibilities would be.

Interview Questions

• And I feel about prospecting   1 Answer

Social Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at U-Haul (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process seems to be going very smoothly. I have a group interview scheduled for Friday and overall i'm pretty happy with the process and look forward to receiving an offer and other things..

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at U-Haul in March 2017.

Interview

I completed an application online and got a call from a recruiter probably 3-4 weeks after submitting an application for the role. Completed the 15-20 minute phone screen with a recruiter. At the end of the phone screen I was invited to do "testing" to see if I qualified for an interview. Took a personality test at home before going to the testing site. At the testing site, I met the recruiter I had spoken with on the phone for approximately 30 seconds. The remainder of the time I checked back with two women who really just seemed to hand out tests and sign in candidates who there for interviews. Testing took roughly an hour and was done in a small room. Testing consisted of a typing exam, creating a document, and a grammar exam (see interview question for more details on each). There wasn't really anyone to ask questions to on creating the document and guidelines were fairly unclear in terms of what was expected. Once I submitted my testing, I asked the two front desk women about a timeline on when I might hear from someone about if I'd get an interview. They didn't have a clear timeline. After about 2 days without hearing anything, I emailed the recruiter. The recruiter told me a manager would get back to me within about two weeks time. It's been months now, and I never heard anything further from anyone at the company. Never got an automated email stating I didn't qualify for an interview. Nothing. I took time off my current job to go in to test. I feel a follow up email, even to say I didn't qualify, would be respectful of the company. I would not recommend taking an interview or this test if it's offered. Personally, I feel I wasted my time and 4 hours of PTO at my current job. Additionally, I think it says a fair amount about the company as they are incapable of completing an extremely basic function of sending a generic, automated "thanks for applying, but no thanks" email.

Part Time Janitor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at U-Haul (Tampa, FL) in January 2017.

Interview

The manager called me to schedule an interview, then just wouldn't get back to me until 4-5 days later though I called back daily. Interview was simple, but their availability and mine didn't work out-- I have another part time job and they needed people primarily on the weekends. A shame, because the benefits seem really nice, but I was already booked for the weekends.