U.S. Cellular Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. Cellular Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2017

2.9

Telesales Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Cellular.

Interview

The interview is a Sales Leader Behavior Fit PBI. This process is approximately 60 minutes long and requires you to tell a story based answer on the events that took place, your action(s) to solve/resolve the event, and then the result/final outcome (including if the associate/customer left happy).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to achieve sustainable results in a short amount of time to be successful.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ankeny, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Cellular (Ankeny, IA) in August 2016.

Interview

First interview was a digital interview where you record yourself answering questions you get 30s to prep and 3 mins to answer. If you have anxiety and don't like recording videos would not recommend. You do not get any retrys.

Interview Questions

• What last job expierience do you think qualifies you for the job   Answer Question

Retail Area Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Cellular (Cedar Rapids, IA) in August 2013.

Interview

Multi-Step interview process. 8 hour assessment (in person), recruiter interview, HR interview, second and third level interviews, and a panel interview.

The assessment was intense. It's to discover your leadership style under pressure and includes a "workload" of emails that you (physically) can't complete in time. Additionally, there were one-on-one roleplays that went over coaching, peer-to-peer questions, and an upset customer. There's no faking your way through this assessment.

Interview Questions

• All questions are "Situation Based" or "Behavioral Based" interview questions. The most difficult was when the interviewer asked - so why should I hire YOU for this position? For example (in no particular order):

1) "Tell me about a time when you had to develop a leader"

2) "Tell me about a time that you had to deal with a difficult customer interaction".

3) "Tell me about a time that you had to work through a progressive discipline process".

4) "Tell me about a time that you had to deal with a major change".

5) "Tell me about a decision that you disagreed with, but had to follow anyways".
      Answer Question

Negotiation

The recruited presented the initial offer. I counted for a significant difference, and received a "okay, we'll do it" response the next day. Don't be afraid to counter-offer - it's expected.

Retail Wireless Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Cellular (Chicago, IL) in April 2010.

Interview

They contacted me from CareerBuilder, then took 9 months to hire me. I had to create a profile, list everything I've done for seven years. Then, in the middle of the process, they told me that they changed their talent database, and I had to do ANOTHER profile, ANOTHER 70+ question "personality" test, and everything else. I interviewed for four positions, and was told I was being considered for a couple more. But after every single time, I had to contact the recruiter, and I usually got no response for a week after my followup. The responses I did get would be one line emails like, "Did the store manager not reach out to you?", or, "They decided to go with another candidate." In the case of the first one, it took an entire week for the recruiter to tell me that the hiring manager was on vacation. Then it took another week to be told that they had gone with someone else, and there was no further explanation given. After I left\ my last interview, I fully believed that I would be working at one particular store. I was told that this part was just more of a "meet and greet". They kept me waiting for two days, and then the recruiter called me after 6:30PM to tell me that they had hired someone else... but, would I consider yet another job? I took it out of pure desperation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is a little room, but in general, I feel that they take so long in the hiring process so that you feel lucky to have gotten the job. In my case, I just took what they offered because I needed something.

Public Affairs and Media Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Cellular (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview started off with a call from their HR team. I was highly disappointed after speaking with their HR team and really hoped it was an outside recruiting company. I later found out they were with the company. He kept pressing me to know how much money I wanted to make, what my last salary was, and the exact number of months I worked at my past jobs. He also asked me about bonuses at my last position and then told me "Oh wait...you probably weren't there long enough to get one..." (I was laid off...believe me, I wish I was still there.) After that phone interview I was very put off, but he scheduled a time for me on the spot to interview with the director. I was hoping this call went better.

A few days later I had a phone interview with the director. She told me about the company and explained a little more of the position. She wanted to hear my background, and didn't ask very many questions. It was great to learn more about the company and the team I would have been working with. It worried me when she kept talking about how remote their locations were and kept stressing this, though. I was told I would hear back in 3+ weeks for an in-person if they decided to move forward.

Two days after this interview, I left for a vacation out of the country, not worried because I was told it would take multiple weeks for them to schedule the next interview if they chose to move forward. While I was on vacation, I was checking my email sporadically, but it was hard because Wifi was rare. One day, I got multiple emails from them scheduling an in-person interview for me and telling me they needed me to respond. All those emails came in the same day...

When I responded and told them I was out of the country, I was able to schedule an interview for the next week. When I got back home to the USA I also received the 3 voicemails she left telling me she needed confirmation on the interview. Those three voicemails and three emails all came on the same day and that seemed a little intense to me.

For my in-person interview, it was FOUR HOURS. The email said "each interview will be 15 minutes unless otherwise noted below". The only 15 minute portion was meeting with the HR guy before the interviews actually started. The rest were an hour each. I had a meeting with both managers and the director. I kept stressing that I was looking for a company to grow with and continue to learn and challenge myself. Every time I said I wanted to grow, they got a panicked look and I was flat out told "Uh yeah..there's no way to grow here. After your position would be the manager and then the director. The manager has been here for 13 years and the director has been here for 9, so unless they leave, you don't have any options." As soon as I was told that, I decided that was not the job for me. Both managers that I interviewed with and the director were extremely nice and very welcoming, but the fact that there is no room for growth at all was a concern. Also, they use pre-printed sheets of questions and need to jot down a problem you encountered, what you did, and the outcome. It's awkward for everyone because they're just reading questions off a sheet.

Retail Wireless Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Cellular.

Interview

Initial contact was by email from the taken acquisition. First interview was montage a new video interview process. It has a serious of questions you video record your responses, some give u only 30 seconds to answer which is stressful. I was contacted about a second in store interview in which I was interviewed by 3 managers also stressful.

Interview Questions

• why do i want to leave my current job?   Answer Question
    • describe in detail how to handle a upset customer based on an actual experience   Answer Question

Business Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Cellular (Columbia, MO) in December 2016.

Interview

They take you through a series of interviews, and each interview is more trickier than the last. They ask you about certain sales values, and principles to better understand your accumen. They really focus on assessing your business sales acumen. If you don't know how to sell, you will struggle in the last interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Cellular in December 2016.

Interview

1 hr long. Normal interview discomfort, However, The Sales manager I interviewed with was very personable and friendly which quickly put me a ease. Seems to be a very good opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where something went wrong and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Cellular (Tulsa, OK) in December 2015.

Interview

They are VERY thorough in their hiring process. I interviewed in November 2015 and started in late March 2016. In the interim, I had to take a lesser paying job and constantly check up on my application. I did a phone interview with one recruiter, my in person interview with another recruiter, and got my schedule and start date from yet another recruiter. The process takes a long time which means that you will be waiting and might want to get temporary job in the interim if you are not working at the time that you interview with them.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase

Retail Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Cellular in April 2015.

Interview

Time with a recruiter by phone to screen, phone interview with store manager, in person interview very in depth and then final phone conversation with director of sales.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult piece of feedback you had delivered and why it was the most difficult.   Answer Question