U.S. Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at U.S. Department of State

2.9

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

Apply through USA Jobs. Phone Interview and possible face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It depends on your education and experience. Salary is not negotiated. There is a GS pay scale that employees fall into.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Arlington, VA) in December 2008.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for work as a Software Engineer on long term contract position. After a brief phone screen of what I was looking for, I heard back from the recruiter that the State Dept was interested in interviewing me that week. Interview was fairly laidback with two people (project managers). It lasted about an hour and I was told that I was accepted a few days later. Guess it was a short process since it was a Contract job.

Interview Questions

• Business Intelligence/Reporting skills were emphasized   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not sure how flexible they are. I had quoted a decent rate and took it.

Special Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Arlington, VA) in July 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very interesting. I had to travel to Washington DC on my own dime, find my own lodging, etc. The interview itself consisted of 4 phases that take about 3-4 hours to complete. I cannot go into detail (they make you sign a paper saying that you cannot disclose this type of information) but I can say that the interview was pretty free flowing. By that, I mean that there was little time of rest in between phases. You will have to explain your experience, verbally and on paper, you will get cross checked, you will be asked about international relations, foreign policy and current events, and you will be asked about security matters. The hardest part, beside the interview itself is the written test that you have to complete. You have 45 minutes to complete a 5 paragraph essay based on the information that the provide you with. It has to be official and relevant to the scenario that's been given to you. Written competency has to be sharp because of the time limit. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• I cannot disclose that information, but I can say that your knowledge of government operations, functions and international relations as well as security operations, and integrating all of these will be required.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a conditional offer of employment based on my background investigation. If everything clears, then you get put on a waiting list called the register with a ranking, based on that ranking you will get assigned to a Special Agent class.

Special Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State.

Interview

a series of tests and interviews to assess skills, personality and suitability.

Negotiation

this is a govenrment job, no negotiation.

Chief Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Washington, DC) in October 2010.

Interview

Must be a veteran! Otherwise you won't be considered for employment. The "cert" requires you to have been a veteran. Ten points guarantees you a job, having served in a war zone.

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Iowa City, IA) in January 2018.

Interview

A spontaneous phone interview was conducted. They described the role that their office plays in the Department of State and asked me a series of questions regarding current international affairs and my own personal experiences that made me qualified for the position.

Interview Questions

• How do you think the US should go about the crisis on the Korean peninsula?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State.

Interview

Interview was more informal than I previously thought. They seemed to be looking for relevance in your interests and what they are doing. They were also looking for passion in responses.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Berkeley, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I first applied online for the position. The hiring process is quite lengthy so I recommend starting early (at least 3 months in advance). If you are selected as a finalist and given a 'conditional' offer then you process to fill out forms/packages for a background check. If all goes well the department gives you a final offer you then accept.

Interview Questions

• What makes you interested in working with the state department?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Chapel Hill, NC) in April 2018.

Interview

It was a casual interview with two of the staffers at the Office of Korean Affairs . The interview functioned as a conversation for the most part. It was not one way, but rather a dialogue.

Interview Questions

• What do you hope to achieve through this internship opportunity?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State.

Interview

The interview process was about 30-minutes via a phone interview. Mainly consisted of discussing past experiences and how that might be utilized in the internship. Interview also involved discussion of what the office's role and daily work looked like.