U.S. Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Jul 12, 2018

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

Apply through USA Jobs. Phone Interview and possible face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It depends on your education and experience. Salary is not negotiated. There is a GS pay scale that employees fall into.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Arlington, VA) in December 2008.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for work as a Software Engineer on long term contract position. After a brief phone screen of what I was looking for, I heard back from the recruiter that the State Dept was interested in interviewing me that week. Interview was fairly laidback with two people (project managers). It lasted about an hour and I was told that I was accepted a few days later. Guess it was a short process since it was a Contract job.

Interview Questions

• Business Intelligence/Reporting skills were emphasized   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not sure how flexible they are. I had quoted a decent rate and took it.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Phoenix, AZ) in December 2011.

Interview

Three-tiered process including writing samples, objective testing and face-to-face interviews. No requirement for prior security experience. Overseas travel and life experience very beneficial for panel interview. Heavy focus on writing ability - learn the basics (sentence/paragraph structure, spelling, punctuation). Topic sentences supported throughout the paragraph. Know the basics of the larger State Department structure prior to the interview!

Interview Questions

• Signed a non-disclosure agreement regarding specific interview questions!   1 Answer

Special Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State.

Interview

a series of tests and interviews to assess skills, personality and suitability.

Negotiation

this is a govenrment job, no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Arlington, VA) in July 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very interesting. I had to travel to Washington DC on my own dime, find my own lodging, etc. The interview itself consisted of 4 phases that take about 3-4 hours to complete. I cannot go into detail (they make you sign a paper saying that you cannot disclose this type of information) but I can say that the interview was pretty free flowing. By that, I mean that there was little time of rest in between phases. You will have to explain your experience, verbally and on paper, you will get cross checked, you will be asked about international relations, foreign policy and current events, and you will be asked about security matters. The hardest part, beside the interview itself is the written test that you have to complete. You have 45 minutes to complete a 5 paragraph essay based on the information that the provide you with. It has to be official and relevant to the scenario that's been given to you. Written competency has to be sharp because of the time limit. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• I cannot disclose that information, but I can say that your knowledge of government operations, functions and international relations as well as security operations, and integrating all of these will be required.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a conditional offer of employment based on my background investigation. If everything clears, then you get put on a waiting list called the register with a ranking, based on that ranking you will get assigned to a Special Agent class.

Chief Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Washington, DC) in October 2010.

Interview

Must be a veteran! Otherwise you won't be considered for employment. The "cert" requires you to have been a veteran. Ten points guarantees you a job, having served in a war zone.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Berkeley, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I first applied online for the position. The hiring process is quite lengthy so I recommend starting early (at least 3 months in advance). If you are selected as a finalist and given a 'conditional' offer then you process to fill out forms/packages for a background check. If all goes well the department gives you a final offer you then accept.

Interview Questions

• What makes you interested in working with the state department?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online through USA Jobs to a general posting for internships. I received requests for phone interviews from three offices. The interviews were pretty straight forward. Each interviewer described what work their office does and then asked how my work experience and educational background would help me in that position.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Lengthy security clearance process takes a few months. All contact with embassy staff and supervisors was done via email. Language abilities are assessed depending on post, likely via a phone call. Prior experience or knowledge of post is not necessary.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State.

Interview

Applied online at USA Jobs. Didn't hear back for a while. Was randomly called by hiring manager to phone interview with no preparation. Was asked a few questions and described what their office does specifically.

Interview Questions

• What are some current economic policies that you are following, describe at time when you multi-tasked the best, what is your understanding of the various geographical regions.   Answer Question