U.S. Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at U.S. Department of State

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State.

Interview

it was pretty basic and had phone interview. My manager was really nice. Interview was about 15 minutes over the phone. Had to make video explaining about my experiences and educations.

Interview Questions

• Asked about background and work experience. Why did i choose to do this internship.Couple of questions were about why i wanted to do the internship. tell me about yourself. about education.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State.

Interview

Three people from the office I applied to called me for a 30-minute phone interview. THey asked me questions about the experiences I listed on my resume as well as generic interview questions.

Pathways Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Rosslyn, VA).

Interview

It was more of a job fair type of thing, but only for Pathways. I walked up to a table and gave this guy my resume. He looked it over and filled out a form, shook my hand, and then I left. It was pretty brief and I was highly confused. I received a call a few months later saying that I received an offer.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State.

Interview

I applied for the position online through USAJobs. Once I arrived at Embassy post, I took a simple English test and was interviewed by panel a month later.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State.

Interview

I scheduled a phone call with the HR person in the department I applied to. The worker began by asking me to introduce myself and asked about projects I have worked on in the past. The entire interview took about 20 minutes and it was a fairly straightforward process.

Intelligence Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State.

Interview

The interview was very open and cordial. I was told at the onset that employees within the office were regular people and that the interview was just going to be a conversation., so having formal questions were not going to be a part of the interview process.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Washington, DC) in July 2020.

Interview

I applied to two internships. For one, I got an email asking for an interview. The interview was fairly straightforward and basic interview prep was fine. For the other position, I got an email with the offer and didn't have to interview. I did talk on the phone with the guy who contacted me after to get more information.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      Tell me about yourself.
      Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

I applied for the student internship in June 2018. Contacted through email after one month since applying. Short Phone call, then offered the internship shortly after the call. Had to go through a background check, which could take a couple months.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State.

Interview

The process varied a great deal depending on the individual conducting interviews. One interviewer I had asked very formal questions about work style-- for example, about projects I had independently led, my communications style, and how I managed deadlines and competing priorities. Others were much more casual and didn't have many questions for me. This might be a function of how competitive openings are for the department or office in question.

Interview Questions

• What was an independent project I led of my own initiative?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (San Francisco, CA) in April 2020.

Interview

I applied online. My application process did not require a phone or in person interview, but I informally met with a campus representative who informed me that this varies by office. My application status was updated regularly on USAJobs and I received my final letter via email. I'm told that the decision-making process relies heavily on the quality of the essays submitted in the application - both for assessing writing skills and motivation for interning. Other than receiving a notice of "referred" or "not referred" on the application portal, there is little feedback throughout the process until final decisions are made. I received the final email about 3 months after the application deadline.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the Bureaus/Offices that you applied to and how do they relate to your long term career goals?   Answer Question

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Washington, DC) in February 2020.

Interview

One interview with 4 deputy directors who asked numerous questions. They were quite friendly though, and it wasn't too nerve wracking. I was asked general interview questions that one would expect from a professional job.

Interview Questions

• How have your previous experiences prepared you for this position?   Answer Question