Cover image for U.S. Department of State

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

U.S. Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Jan 6, 2023

To filter interviews, or .
Found 305 of over 305 interviews

In Person3%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

U.S. Department of State

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State

Interview

A behavioral interview on the phone. Lasted around 30 minutes, and no tough questions about the region or subject matter. They were more interested in seeing how I worked in a team and what my past experiences were.

Interview Questions
  • What kind of writing and editing experience do you have?
    Answer Question

U.S. Department of State

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State

Interview

Brief on phone. Asked questions for 10 minutes and then gave opportunities for questions from me. Nothing unexpected, just about previous work experience and my interests. The person who interviewed me ended up being my supervisor for the duration.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a difficult situation when you were confronted by a colleague and how you dealt with it.

Application

Interview

I only had one phone interview-I was able to look up the questions they asked online first. Super easy and they responded back quickly about the job offer via email

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

U.S. Department of State

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State

Interview

No questions, they just called and asked if I had applied to other offices and if I heard back. They described what interning with them would look like. They then offered me the internship with them. And I accepted pretty much immediately.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

U.S. Department of State

Application

I interviewed at U.S. Department of State

Interview

relatively straightforward; received an unexpected phone call, and after a ten minute call I had an interview scheduled for the following week. Received an offer the day after my interview

Interview Questions
  • When did you face a challenge, what are your strengths, why do you want to work here

U.S. Department of State

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State in Oct 2022

Interview

Application on USAJOBS. If selected for interview, interview consist of 20-30 minute interview usually by a desk officer for a particular office where they go over your eligibility, interest in the role and a career in diplomacy, past experiences, and general understanding of global affairs (e.g. if you are interviewing for MTA, they might ask you some basic questions about international trade and/or your take on recent salient macroeconomic developments)

Interview Questions
  • How will an internship like this at the U.S. Department of State aid in your professional development and professional goals?

U.S. Department of State

Application

I interviewed at U.S. Department of State

Interview

The interview was really straightforward and happened over phone for multiple positions that fit my background. I heard from two positions, and got two offers. The interviews took less than an hour each.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Chicago, IL) in Aug 2022

Interview

I completed a written interview and an interview on WhatsApp with a foreign service officer. It was overall very casual and was not too difficult. The written interview was more technical and once I spoke with him over the phone, it was more about why I wanted to do it.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

U.S. Department of State

Application

I interviewed at U.S. Department of State

Interview

The interview process was via video conference and occurred as scheduled. Multiple interviewers on the call, with one being the main interviewer. The interview was about 30 minutes in length.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

U.S. Department of State

Application

I interviewed at U.S. Department of State

Interview

Three member panel intervie; each asked a question or two. There was no feedback after each answer but they did provide time to ask questions. It lasted 20 mins or so.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 305 Interviews

U.S. Department of State Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at U.S. Department of State as 82.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.92 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Foreign Service Officer and Intern rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Internship and Passport Specialist roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at U.S. Department of State takes an average of 118 days when considering 299 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Intern had the quickest hiring process (on average 78 days), whereas Foreign Service Officer roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 205 days).

Common stages of the interview process at U.S. Department of State according to 299 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 21.02%

Work at U.S. Department of State? Share Your Experiences

U.S. Department of State logo

U.S. Department of State Careers

Cover image for U.S. Department of State

The U.S. Department of State is the Federal government’s leading foreign affairs agency that works to shape and sustain a peaceful,...More

• Mission
  • Community
  • Diversity

Company Updates

49 days ago

Hiring
NOW HIRING | The U.S. The Department of State is accepting applications for the Human Resources Specialist position! Are you looking for work and are either a current U.S. federal government employee or have Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) hiring status (alum of programs such as the Gilman Scholarship, Critical Language Scholarship, Fulbright, and Peace Corps)? Consider this Human Resources Specialist position open now for application! HR Specialists are responsible for recruitment, employee training and development, performance management, employee relations, salary and benefits administration, employee policies and procedures and position classification.
Shared image - Human Resources Specialist
Human Resources Specialist
bit.ly

100 days ago

Culture
During November, we honor the past, present, and future of the Native peoples across the United States through Native American Heritage Month. We aim to celebrate and highlight the additions to today's culture and respect all generations. This month is focused on: reflection, connection to tribal culture, and history, which, although painful to recount, has strengthened and brought the community together. A key aim of today is to acknowledge the heavy impact of colonialism on Native communities that occupied this territory; while showcasing the strength and resiliency of the Native peoples. #Culture #Native #NativePeoples #Indigenous #Community
Shared image

U.S. Department of State Photos

+ Add Photo
U.S. Department of State photo of: U.S. Department of State Diplomacy Center & Exchange Programs offer education programs & exchange programs. Future diplomats in the making!
U.S. Department of State photo of: Fulbrighters and Fellows in front of the Capital building.
U.S. Department of State photo of: U.S. Department of State Employees who work on the Youth Ambassador Program, which brings together High School students
U.S. Department of State photo of: The U.S. Department of State welcomes the 194th Foreign Service Officer class!
U.S. Department of State photo of: The Cultural Heritage Center leads U.S. Government efforts to protect & preserve cultural heritage worldwide.
U.S. Department of State photo of: U.S. Department of State ECA Bureau employees receiving an award in recognition of their service.
U.S. Department of State photo of: The U.S. Department of State 2018 Trafficking in Persons Report Heroes.

Expert Career Advice