U.S. Government Accountability Office Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. Government Accountability Office Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview session was brief but professional. Interview took place in a panel format, and included mid to senior level management personnel. Questions were direct and directly attributable to the skills required as part of the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult team member.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for U.S. Government Accountability Office

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Interview

After applying on USA Jobs it took about three months before I heard anything at all. Afterwards the process moves fairly quickly: I was invited in to an interview with the head of the regional office and two Senior Analysts. The interview itself was very laid back and comfortable, all seemed like great people, though they must follow a script fairly closely. For example, in the three months since I had applied I had done other relevant work: my interviewers were unable to accept an updated resume from me or really consider anything that wasn't included on my initial application. The interview itself took about an hour, then I was given the opportunity to meet privately with another Senior Analyst to ask any questions I wanted that would not be taken into account in my evaluation (to allow me to determine whether I was the right fit.) I heard back with an offer about two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• The questions were fairly straightforward: describe working in a team, describe your analytical abilities, describe a time you needed to work with people outside your reporting chain and how did you get them to do what you needed, etc.   Answer Question

GAO doesn't negotiate: the first offer you get is the last offer you get. They also do not consider any volunteer experience, or any professional experience gained while you're completing your graduate program when setting salaries. As an evening student, this excluded all of my professional experience over four years of graduate study. GAO's offer was significantly lower than others in my area and they were unwilling to increase in any fashion.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied through USAJobs, which is usually a blackhole. I had applied for an internship at GAO a year prior and never heard back. This time, I received an email 4 months later saying I had an interview. Thankfully I had been in school up to that point and wasn't as active about the job search, otherwise I likely would've accepted another job offer.

Following the email, it took less than one week to schedule the interview, which took place one week later. The interview was scheduled for three hours, but the first hour was spent informally speaking with a current analyst and learning more about the agency. The second hour was a structured interview with senior analysts; these questions touched on my academic and professional history, experience working with data systems, working and communicating effectively in a group, etc. The third hour was a less structured interview with two directors; I spoke less formally about my interest in the subject material and general professional aspirations.

Following the interview, I had a competing job offer, so I was able to leverage receiving my offer within two weeks of the interview. Had I not had a competing offer, I imagine I would have had to wait a month.

Interview Questions

• Please speak about a time you worked in group to complete a project. How did you ensure that the project was completed thoroughly and on time?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Interview

met with a junior analyst with the team, I was interviewing for. We talked about the position. I then interview with two senior analyst and a HR person.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Interviewers were very nice, eloquent, personable, and had great things to say about their experiences at the GAO. The interview questions were very regimented and formalized though, so it felt kind of awkward at times.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you conducted research - explain how you came up with your research design, what kinds of methodology you used, quantitative and qualitative, and how you used it to solve your research question.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Interview

I had a phone interview for the internship and then converted to full time employee after the internship.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall the most difficult question, but I do recall they asked me how I would conduct a research study.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Interview

Applied 12/2012, received a call for an interview in 5/2013. The interview occurred a week later. One week after the interview, I was given a tentative offer by telephone.

I met with three employees. One was from PDP. One was in leadership. The last was a senior analyst. They were very friendly. The interview was conversational. I was told they were only hiring around 70 to 75 analysts.

The questions were not a surprise. They wanted to discuss my experience with working in groups, quantitative analysis, qualitative analysis, and writing. Although, they wanted me to discuss times I've conducted analysis only in a group setting or within a group.

Interview Questions

• No surprise interview questions. They do not seem the type of organization to pull off something crazy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

fairly straight forward. they asked me a lot about the information i filled out in the questionnaire

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Atlanta, GA) in November 2009.

Interview

Applied online. Completed KSA and made it through to interviews. Had a group interview with office manager, assistant director, and senior analyst. Interview had feel of a case interview. Very helpful to prepare for questions that ask how you would design a case. Really enjoyed the interview.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in April 2009.

Interview

It takes a while. From start to finish, most of a year. If you want to come in under the PDP program, you'll need to intern here between your first and second year of grad school.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about a congressional internship I had 10 years ago. Be prepared to discuss relevant experience from anything on your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Look into your rights per OPM guidelines. I did not negotiate, but I regret it.