U.S. Government Accountability Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. Government Accountability Office Interview Questions

Interviews at U.S. Government Accountability Office

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Interview

After applying on USA Jobs it took about three months before I heard anything at all. Afterwards the process moves fairly quickly: I was invited in to an interview with the head of the regional office and two Senior Analysts. The interview itself was very laid back and comfortable, all seemed like great people, though they must follow a script fairly closely. For example, in the three months since I had applied I had done other relevant work: my interviewers were unable to accept an updated resume from me or really consider anything that wasn't included on my initial application. The interview itself took about an hour, then I was given the opportunity to meet privately with another Senior Analyst to ask any questions I wanted that would not be taken into account in my evaluation (to allow me to determine whether I was the right fit.) I heard back with an offer about two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• The questions were fairly straightforward: describe working in a team, describe your analytical abilities, describe a time you needed to work with people outside your reporting chain and how did you get them to do what you needed, etc.   Answer Question

GAO doesn't negotiate: the first offer you get is the last offer you get. They also do not consider any volunteer experience, or any professional experience gained while you're completing your graduate program when setting salaries. As an evening student, this excluded all of my professional experience over four years of graduate study. GAO's offer was significantly lower than others in my area and they were unwilling to increase in any fashion.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Interview

met with a junior analyst with the team, I was interviewing for. We talked about the position. I then interview with two senior analyst and a HR person.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

federal. quicker than other agencies because you are brought in before they bother finishing your security clearance, however you'll still wait a month or more after providing your USJOBS ap. Then, the interview results will come in after another 3 weeks or so. After that, you have the horribly uncertain process of receiving a tentative offer but needing to make moving decisions before you get the final one.

Interview Questions

• Know how to speak to your ability to think critically, and to communicate it in writing and orally. Team-work and addressing tension/conflict to reach consensus are key.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview session was brief but professional. Interview took place in a panel format, and included mid to senior level management personnel. Questions were direct and directly attributable to the skills required as part of the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult team member.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied online at USAjobs and had a recruiter come to my grad school. VTC interview from Chicago for DC position in the Professional Development Program. Took a long time between my initial online application and final offer.

Interview Questions

• They spent a lot of the time asking me about my grad school capstone research project   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Dayton, OH) in July 2018.

Interview

Met with a senior analyst, who offered a tour of the office and introduced me to other analysts. Interviewed with two assistant directors of the field office. The interview lasted approximately an hour.

Interview Questions

• How would you plan, structure, and execute a research plan?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about GAO?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a situation where you worked on a team to analyze a problem.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you encountered a problem working on a team, and how you resolved the dispute.   Answer Question

Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied for the internship through my programs career services director. I received a phone call to set up an interview about a month later (GAO was behind schedule due to the budget issues).

I had a 1 hour phone interview with two people from offices outside of DC. The questions focused on GAO's core competencies, such as communication skills, analytic skills, etc. I was usually asked to describe a situation that exemplified those skills. I was also asked to explain how I would conduct a study and how I would prepare a speech. The interviewers were friendly and nice, and often asked followup questions.

About 3-5 days after the interview, I received an email offering me a position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation is allowed because they follow the GS pay scale for interns.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online and interviewed via conference call with the organization. It was around an hour or perhaps an hour and a half, which went by really quickly! I had the opportunity to talk about my experiences, but also ask some questions about working for the organization, which I greatly appreciated. It would have been great to intern there, but practical problems with moving away from my family made that quite difficult. I would highly recommend to others though!

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I interviewed over the phone. it was about an hour long, with one entry level greeter who answers any of your questions. he/she doesn t have power over your hiring so you can ask anything. then three people at the management level interviewed me asking for examples.to support my answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in January 2016.

Interview

Submitted and application on USA jobs. Contacted several months afterward for a three-person phone interview. Interview lasted about an hour, with all three interviewers asking questions about my background, graduate coursework, and willingness to come to DC. After the interview, I did not hear from them for about two weeks, then received an email about a background check.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked in a team.
      Describe a time when you were involved in a team conflict.
      Provide an example of a written report you worked on in a team, and how you responded to feedback.   Answer Question

See What U.S. Government Accountability Office Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros: “GAO offers a good opportunity for recent graduates to enter a career in public service, and audit federal spending for Congress. Some of the cons: - A wide portfolio of focus areas...”“GAO offers a good opportunity for recent graduates to enter a career in public service, and audit federal spending for Congress. Some of the cons: - A wide portfolio of focus areas, from defense spending to healthcare and cybersecurity; - An opportunity to brief Hill staff members; - Small teams with typically really smart co-workers; - A relatively young workforce even in more senior positions; - Focus on one project a time, giving analysts an opportunity to dig deeply into an issue; - A really serious position on maintaining integrity, independence and transparency; - A fairly good work to life balance, no overtime work for analysts, options to telework; - Government benefits, free parking for staff, transit benefits. - Paid internships! Depending on whether you think it's a good thing or not, it's a very quiet work environemnt, people keep to themselves , noise or conversation is rare except for business phone calls.” – Full Review